View Single Post
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:50   #13
drew46304

Fuel Economy: 45 mpg
Default sun roof problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1108 View Post
I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.
hey gforce. I have almost exactly the same problem you had with this beetle. The only difference is that when i hold the key in lock position in the door, having the sunroof open with crank, it WILL NOT close.........but if i have the back tilted up, using the crank, then the motor will work to pull it down when holding key in lock position. Sounds very similar. I tried this with and without the sunroof control switch attached to the motor with the same results. My thoughts were that maybe i should try replacing the switch first but after reading your post im not sure now. I installed another used motor that i got on ebay for 24 bucks with shipping and got the exact same results.......so im not out much and will have a spare if ever needed. You have any thoughts on this ? ........ or anyone else on here ?

Im new on here.......found this site EXTREMELY helpful a cpl weeks ago when i changed my alternator. Im sure i saved at least a cpl hours by printing someones step by step instructions. Now im just trying to get some of the other nagging things taken care of in my 2002 beetle. Thanks to all for all the valuable infor on here.
drew46304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06424 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.26 Kb. compressed to 14.79 Kb. by saving 1.47 Kb. (9.02%)]