VW EMISSIONS SUIT & BOSCH Class Action - Update

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I received a card today stating that Bosch too was penalized. "They" say that if I already was "Approved" by VW that I'll be receiving $350 from Bosch. Meanwhile-

This was released this morning 3/10/17

BREAKING: VW Pleads Guilty In Emissions Cheating Suit
Share us on: By Emily Field
Law360, New York (March 10, 2017, 11:03 AM EST) -- Volkswagen AG on Friday formally pleaded guilty in Michigan federal court to three criminal charges and agreed to pay $4.3 billion in criminal and civil penalties as part of an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice stemming from the automaker’s diesel emissions cheating scandal.

During a hearing in Detroit federal court, Manfred Doess, general counsel for German car manufacturer, entered a guilty plea to counts of conspiracy to defraud the United States, wire fraud and violations of the Clean Air Act, as per a settlement agreement with the DOJ and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection initially reached in January. The agreement also contains measures to fortify the company’s compliance systems.

The company’s guilty plea is a step toward ending the emissions cheating maelstorm that started in September 2015 ,when the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board accused the company of using the defeat devices to evade federal emissions tests for diesel vehicles.

Volkswagen admitted fault and disclosed that the software was equipped in millions of diesel vehicles worldwide, nearly 600,000 of which were sold in the United States. The defeat devices allowed the vehicles to emit more toxins into the air after they left testing labs and were out on the roads. The government hit VW and its subsidiaries with a Clean Air Act suit over the emissions cheating in January 2015.

A number of Volkswagen executives have also become caught up in the ensuing saga. A day after VW entered into the draft agreement on Jan. 10, one executive, Oliver Schmidt, was arrested in Miami and charged with consipring to defraud the U.S. in connection with the scandal.

Schmidt, 48, was the general manager of VW’s environmental and engineering office in Michigan and allegedly knew the vehicles had software installed that would recognize when the car was being tested and alter emissions output.

Five others were charged that day with wire fraud and are still believed to be in Germany.

Schmidt’s trial will start on April 18 before U.S. District Judge Sean Cox.

His attorneys have argued that when Schmidt learned about the government’s investigation, he voluntarily met with the FBI and DOJ and went to Miami on Christmas vacation with his wife knowing that he could be arrested, according to court filings.

Schmidt’s background is in gasoline engines— not diesel— and project management and had nothing to do with designing diesel engines or the defeat device software, according to his attorneys.

Schmidt has been detained since his Jan. 7 arrest; at his arraignment, his attorney asked during a March 2 hearing that he be moved to the federal penitentiary in Milan, Michigan, according to court officials.

Schmidt is charged with 11 counts and faces a combined maximum sentence of 169 years in prison, according to the court filings.

The government has contended that Schmidt was part of a July 2015 meeting that included an explicit description of the defeat device by another participant and during which it was decided that he would use his connections with U.S. regulators to persuade them to release certifications for model year 2016 diesel cars, which were then awaiting import to the U.S.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Received the same card yesterday, will utilize towards my Malone Tune once the dust settles. C'mon VW, disclose the CKRA fix!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Rumor is the CKRA will be the hardest fix as it needs to meet todays strict standards where as the lighter 2009-2012 and golf and jettas have a easier goal to reach and can be fixed with more modern after treatments not requiring urea

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Rumor is the CKRA will be the hardest fix as it needs to meet todays strict standards where as the lighter 2009-2012 and golf and jettas have a easier goal to reach and can be fixed with more modern after treatments not requiring urea
Got my card today too, but it's going toward a new car. The above is just one of the reasons why our CKRA is getting bought back.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Not an engineer and unless there are major changes in engine designs between the 2015's and the CKRA engines, I am curious why would the CKRA be harder to meet the emissions standards? They were able to come up with a fix for the 2015's which have stricter emissions standards and have the SCR systems so why not the earlier Passat's with the SCR systems and not as strict emissions standards as in 2015. Granted the configuration of the 2013 Passat and the 2015 Passat SCR systems are configured different, in the 2015, the Catalyst and DPF and are in one unit, and the 2013 they are different pieces in the exhaust, but the exhaust flow path is the same in both and the function of both are exactly the same. So if there is some major engine design changes between the 2013 and 2015 where the 2015 exhaust is cleaner before it reaches the SCR system, please let me know? Just curious and I will be researching in a bit. Thanks

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
the 15's have a completely new engine not sharing any parts with the older engine where as the 14 and older have a block designed way back in the mid 1990's with just a updated head, injection and after treatments. The 15's EA288's computer can control water flow rate, oil flow rates, intake air rate, exhaust flow rate and even read cylinder pressures in real time so it can cut nox by lowering compression by closing the intake flappers when needed. The CKRA's injectors can also see real time cylinder pressures but the EA288 takes full advantages

Last edited:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Good stuff. I figured with the CKRA already having urea injection VW would recalibrate that system to achieve the lowest emissions while maintaining drivability. It was rumored they dialed back the urea use to keep the 10k mile maintenance schedule intact. My urea consumption is way below what I though it would be. I think I've only added three 2.5 gallon jugs since the my free dealer service ended. My odo now reads 113k miles.