Picking Up New Car What to Have Done?

Nick660

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Well the dealer called and the Passat will be ready for pick-up Monday. What should I ask them to do before pick-up?

I'm thinking rain sensing wiper and windows enabled, make sure the 510 is updated... what else? I doubt they will do it, but I figure I'll ask.

I'm also going to be adding a back-up camera, so is there something they can enable before the install?

Thanks!
Nick

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Ask to ride with them and fill up the fuel tank yourself, all the way, with diesel fuel, instead of 2 gallons short of a full tank, which they like to do alot. Also, double check the tire air pressure yourself before driving off the lot.

Learn to think about fuelling up with diesel instead of saying "gotta get some gas". Gas rarely belongs in your vocabulary when you drive a TDI and you are at a fuel station. It's a mindset that needs to be learned by new TDI owners.

Doubt they will be able to take care of your requests.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yo...Niner...read his signature!! He's been there, done that.

Agreed on the air pressure. Have them put it where YOU want it...I'm happy with 40psi in my 18" Hankooks. Remember to re-set the tire pressure monitor.

I wouldn't worry about $10 worth of fuel, but I would ask where they fueled it, when...maybe get a receipt, even? (I'm lucky, here, because my selling dealership had done their research, and chose 47 cetane BP/Amoco for ALL the TDI fills.)

Ask them to demonstrate the bluetooth, nav, etc. They might not know the system very well, but sometimes they know things that might take you some time to figure out.

Nick660

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Hey thanks for the comments fellas! Yeah I've had 3 Cummins and 1 TDI, so I'm familiar with "fueling-up"... just have to make sure the wife is! ;)

I'll make sure the tire pressure is correct, and have them go over all of the features with my wife (she's the one picking it up).

Thanks again,
Nick

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
For the backup camera... are you getting an SE or SEL? The RCD510 might not have the input for the camera.

After you add the camera you'll have to do a recode, but I would wait until after it's hooked up.

-J

Tim Bramble

TDI
2001 New Beetle & 2012 Passat SEL Premium
Nick, can you tell me when you ordered your Passat? We put a deposit down on February 25th, and heard from the salesman on May 2nd, that our car was being manufactured that week. However he said to still expect a June delivery date. We're in Atlanta, only 100 miles from the plant, so I'm hoping it's in earlier!

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
when you go with salesperson to fill it....add 5oz of Power service to you first tank and every tank thereafter. How about a complimentary wax?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdi90hp: In my experience, I won't let any dealership I know touch my paint...no "free carwash", etc. etc.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
tdi90hp: In my experience, I won't let any dealership I know touch my paint...no "free carwash", etc. etc.
Ditto this, the paint is soft when new, and all it takes is a clown to put swirl marks in your new car, bearing down on the paint while scrubbing, or missing a spot of dirt while drying the car, and you've got swirl marks in the paint.

Nick660

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Nick, can you tell me when you ordered your Passat? We put a deposit down on February 25th, and heard from the salesman on May 2nd, that our car was being manufactured that week. However he said to still expect a June delivery date. We're in Atlanta, only 100 miles from the plant, so I'm hoping it's in earlier!
We called the dealership 04/23 and told them what we wanted, and they actually had the exact one on order. They had told us the wait was at 60 days at that time, but said they would expedite shipping so it should be about 30 days.. Well it was a bit less! I don't know when they had placed the order, but it wasn't spoken for, so a $500 deposit later, it's ours. The dealership is about 1.5 hours away, so we don't have time to pick it up till the end of the week. Thanks for the comments!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ditto this, the paint is soft when new, and all it takes is a clown to put swirl marks in your new car, bearing down on the paint while scrubbing, or missing a spot of dirt while drying the car, and you've got swirl marks in the paint.
Niner, my concern isn't the soft paint, but rather the care that is/isn't taken by the person doing the "free wash." ...even on "cured" paint. I have one guy do my detailing, once a year, and I take care of all the interim washes/etc.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
good move tdiatlast. paint is real hard to fix once burnt or swirled....especially the dark colors as you know.