NEDD 8 . . . . . . Take 2

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Yeah that Mustang was no joke, he was pulling away from me a tiny bit, but OMFG Joe's car is insane... I really wanted that 2010 Camaro to play, but he wasn't interested.. It was a V6, but its a 304hp V6.. That woulda been a nice one..

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
TDIJetta99 said:
Yeah that Mustang was no joke, he was pulling away from me a tiny bit, but OMFG Joe's car is insane... I really wanted that 2010 Camaro to play, but he wasn't interested.. It was a V6, but its a 304hp V6.. That woulda been a nice one..
I wanted that Civic SI to play sooo bad.... I really want to know if I can take a 197hp Vtec. I don't see why not.....

...... don't forget that 323I who didn't want nuthin to do with us.... hahaha

Last edited:

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
eddie_1 said:
Jason in the lead:

Dude, does anyone else have pics from our drive up??? If so PLEEEASE post them... we rolled 6 TDI's strong.... Awesome time.

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
My guess is from a rolling or running start I don't see any reason why our cars shouldn't shine. Not likely that they are driving around anywhere near the RPM's needed to get anywhere near their MAX Horsepower numbers, by the time they do, they have already been SMOKED :rolleyes:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
grate event like always, had a good time meeting all you guys, I end up staying in RI for the night and I just got home.
here is a better image of the dyno sheet

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
ChippedNotBroken said:
My guess is from a rolling or running start I don't see any reason why our cars shouldn't shine. Not likely that they are driving around anywhere near the RPM's needed to get anywhere near their MAX Horsepower numbers, by the time they do, they have already been SMOKED :rolleyes:
But shucks man, if you catch that one Civic driver who knows how to downshift so he is actually in his powerband....

The "My car is faster if neither of us downshift" argument is fatally flawed.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
david_594 said:
But shucks man, if you catch that one Civic driver who knows how to downshift so he is actually in his powerband....

Yeah absolutely... That dude with the BMW had the right idea getting the revs up BEFORE the "race", but he gave up after about 3-4 seconds
of me right on his bumper and backed down.. .hahaha...

Here's my dyno.. Someone help me with diagnosing why the F it falls off at 3900... in a 500rpm span I lost 50hp, then it slowly started coming back
up to around 160.. It was the ONLY car on that dyno that had a weird curve like that.. I'm convinced it was heading for 200 if something didn't
screw up..

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
david_594 said:

It's not that easy to downshift right into the sweet spot without either overshooting or undershooting, and once they hit it, they need to shift again. My guess is that by the time most of the yahoos on the road got it in gear they would be seeing black.

Of course, not everybody drivin' a Honda is a Yahoo :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Joe, delvi, and Jason, those dynos are very impressive. Just for reference, Bill and Alex (at DSG) have told me that a stock 225 HP WRX does 147 HP on that dyno. Sure, the Subie has greater driveline losses, but think about what it means these cars are generating.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah I can almost walk away from a STOCK 227hp WRX... any sort of mods and they embarrass me.. Just a tune on one of those and I don't stand a chance.. Tune/turbo/injectors/exhaust and they can quickly pass 300WHP...

I am happy with my torque number, but my HP should have been higher... I need to find out *** that dip is all about..

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
TDIJetta99 said:
Yeah I can almost walk away from a STOCK 227hp WRX... any sort of mods and they embarrass me.. Just a tune on one of those and I don't stand a chance.. Tune/turbo/injectors/exhaust and they can quickly pass 300WHP...

I am happy with my torque number, but my HP should have been higher... I need to find out *** that dip is all about..
You aren't still at the shop working on it are you?

Peter, Jason will be installing the koni's + the rest, so if you didn't get the note, they go to him :)

AThreeTdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta Tdi , 03 jetta Tdi
Joe TDI said:
I wanted that Civic SI to play sooo bad.... I really want to know if I can take a 197hp Vtec. I don't see why not.....
The kind of #'s you turned on the dyno you would have had your way with the Civic SI, I've raced one before and he couldn't keep up!:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
ChippedNotBroken said:
You aren't still at the shop working on it are you?

Peter, Jason will be installing the koni's + the rest, so if you didn't get the note, they go to him :)
Got the note. Thanks.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Fuel temp? Quantity adjuster? How old's your fuel filter? Just guessing.
The fuel filter is new, the fuel temp maxes out around 30C in this weather.. I'd be surprised if it topped 40C n the dyno.. I'm going to run some logs tonight and see if there's something going on with the QA.. It doesn't really make too much sense.. The injection timing maxes out at 21 degrees and pretty much stays there until 5700rpm with the occasional dip to 20 degrees.. I noticed on the drive home that I have absolutely ZERO visible smoke in the upper rpm band, only the initial puff when jumping on it..

I'm meeting Jeff in a little bit on his drive back through so he can tune the PD, I'll run some logs and show him and see what he says.. I'm going to put a pressure gauge on the IP inlet to see if my lift pump is doing its job...

ChippedNotBroken

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta A4 1999.5 Green
Just a shot in the dark, but you busted your intercooler pipe on the way up could the graph represent something that is preventing more air getting into the combustion chamber or be indirectly related to what caused that failure of the hose?

If this is a dumb question feel free to ignore :eek:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ChippedNotBroken said:
Just a shot in the dark, but you busted your intercooler pipe on the way up could the graph represent something that is preventing more air getting into the combustion chamber or be indirectly related to what caused that failure of the hose?

If this is a dumb question feel free to ignore :eek:
nah I don't think that had much to do with anything.. the pipe blew off due to a crappy clamp.. It has stayed on since I moved the clamps around.. I'll be making something to put the beads on the end of the pipes to that it's less likely to happen again in the future..

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
eddie_1 said:
I uploaded some videos (unfortunately embedded videos i think are not supported, also sorry missed Delvi's; didn't have the camera handy later
in the day):

Joe's Dyno Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEigBqdaXSU

Jay's Dyno Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQz3n9aehnQ

Drive up with NY/NJ/PA Crew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sZ6NCacbk

Driving I did on Autobahn this Summer for Comparison: :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHu0s7wAP-I

Ed thanks for puttin up the vids!!

Who has some pictures though??

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
nah I don't think that had much to do with anything.. the pipe blew off due to a crappy clamp.. It has stayed on since I moved the clamps around.. I'll be making something to put the beads on the end of the pipes to that it's less likely to happen again in the future..
Hahaha..... I blew an intercooler pipe off tonight giving a hayride.... the pipe coming up the engine bay popped off near the outlet of the intercooler....

Can't believe that one didn't blow off on the dyno.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Joe TDI said:
Hahaha..... I blew an intercooler pipe off tonight giving a hayride.... the pipe coming up the engine bay popped off near the outlet of the intercooler....

Can't believe that one didn't blow off on the dyno.
Looks like it might be time for me to make a tool to put the beads on the pipework..

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Cool day!....sorry I got there so late. A defective head gasket(who ever heard of that) at 8 am delayed the Joe car till 11 when Peter brought me an OEM one(thanks Peter!). Also, sorry to anyone I didnt see or speak to...I was distracted from the mornings shenanigans.:eek: Good to see such high numbers and more importantly cars that SOUNDED GREAT and held together. On STOCK head bolts. Mi Mk3 wa unchanged since last I dynoed, so I didnt re dyno and the Bling car forfeited in order to finish Joes. Next year maybe.....

Great food and great times....I only wish I made it earlier!

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
eddie_1 said:
I uploaded some videos (unfortunately embedded videos i think are not supported, also sorry missed Delvi's; didn't have the camera handy later
in the day):

Joe's Dyno Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEigBqdaXSU

Jay's Dyno Run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQz3n9aehnQ

Drive up with NY/NJ/PA Crew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sZ6NCacbk

Driving I did on Autobahn this Summer for Comparison: :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHu0s7wAP-I

Great videos! :cool:

I was going to suggest for the ride up to NEDD8 was for everybody to have some handheld GMRS/FRS "bubble pack" 2-way radios with them to stay in touch and chit chat during the trip. In the video it would have been cool to see every TDI suddenly pour on the soot all at the same time. :D

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Greaseburger said:
Did Rocketeer928 dyno his?
Yes sir, I did. I was car number 2 on the dyno.

I got 137 hp / 245 ft-lb. Here's the link for the details (Post Nr. 175): http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223085&page=12

I was a little disappointed with my HP number, but it's motivation to do a little more modifications. I want to hit 150 hp at the next NEDD in 2010.

I had a great time at the NEDD 2009. Great food and great discussions with all you dedicated TDI folks.

Thanks to IBW for advising me on my thoughts on upgrading to the next nozzles. And, thanks to Chris (mrchill) for discussing my numbers and what I could do to bump up the numbers a bit more. I ordered a PD 150 intake manifold with an EGR (for CT emissions testing) from the UK for my next upgrade on his advice.

I look forward to the next time I can get together with the TDI gang, and possibly upgrading to RC5. Ho5G???

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I think I better build a PD....problem is...I dont have one.....hmmm...where to find a good victim...uh...candidate.....:D