50/50 low sulfur/biodiesel in Michigan

hoosiertom

TDI
DNA
I've been getting B20 and B100 at the pump this year from Wacker Oil in Manchester Michigan. Good people.....
I was pleasantly surprised about two weeks ago when I was able to get at the pump a 50/50 mix of LOW SULPHUR DIESEL and BIODIESEL. They told me that they're the first folks in the Midwest to have low sulphur diesel at a retail pump. It's encouraging to see a low sulphur biodiesel blend available for winter use. It's going for $2.82/gal.
Outside of Wacker Oil, the avaiability of B20 or B100 in the Midwest has been dismal. If proposed legislation goes through the price should drop further.

emka

TDI
2005 Passat variant black
I also buy B-20 from Wacker. Have'nt been there in about 2 wks. Did'nt know they had the 50/50 blend. You're right they will answer all your questions. Man there told me they winterize the B-20 with Primrose. They do their own testing of the additives in a freezer out back. They tested several brands and decided on Primrose. He said they are going to start carrying Primrose inside the store also. Thanks for the info.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I've bought from them! I have in-laws in Ann Arbor and Flint so on trips from Iowa, we fill up with B100 at home and then again in Manchester (just outside of Ann Arbor).

It's great that they are offering a 50/50 blend!

You can get B100 in Iowa City just off of I-80 (Consumer's Co-op).

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
I understand the new the Biodiesel tax incentive kicks in January, so prices should come down.

kl5

TDI
Jetta '04 GLS Wagon TDI in Blue Graphite
Can someone give me an address and/or phone number for Wacker Oil in Manchester? I will be in the area this weekend and hope to be able to fill up while I'm there.

Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
hoosier, is this product you're referring to LSD or ULSD? Big difference....by about 450ppm.

kl5

TDI
OK, I went ahead and answered my own question:

G. E. Wacker, Inc.
9050 Michigan State Road 52
Manchester, MI 48158
(734) 428-8366

Looks like it's easily accessible from 94. Can't wait for my first tank of B20!

k.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
"Looks like it's easily accessible from 94. Can't wait for my first tank of B20!"

You and me both! But dad took the Jetta to the airport... and it'll be there all week. Leaves me the Passat to drive to class
But the BD will have to wait

-Jason

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
DD is right... all on-road diesel fuel in the US is "Low Sulfur"... I would assume you meant Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, or ULSD.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
If it's ULSD, I think I has to be a #1 Diesel. I don't know of anyone producing a ULSD#2.

If it's a #1, I think they should tell you that up front.

hoosiertom

TDI
DNA
Just talked to Wacker Oil this morning to make sure my input was factual.
The B 50/50 blend should be available if everything works out in a about a week or so. It definitely uses ULSD in the blend.

B99 wil be available shortly thereafter once things warm up.
The B99 will supplant B50/50 at that point.

Both of these blends are available at the white above ground tank that is fenced in about 200 ft from the main pumps.
The B20 @ the main pumps is $229.9... .02 less than regular #2 diesel.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
b4black, on-road ULSD is classified under No.2 diesel (specifically "Grade No. 2-D S15"). Of course, not all No.2 diesel is ULSD... the normal stuff we get in the US is "No. 2-D S500", which allows up to 500ppm sulfur. Check under the ASTM D975 04ce1 standards for diesel fuels. This also covers No.1 diesel.

kl5

TDI
One more bit of info: I just called Wacker Oil and the woman who answered the phone (after checking) told me that the B20 had a cetane rating of 53 or 54.

That is so fantastic. The only bioD (I believe, PLEASE let me know if I'm wrong) I can find near Chicago is the B20 from Bell Fuels and they only guarantee 45 cetane. So far I've been unable to justify using this instead of the Amoco Premier I buy from the nice people in Winnetka (at Tower and Green Bay). Am I deluded? When will Chicago get a better blend?

k.

cawfebug

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 03 Silver
I notice quite a difference in the B20 I get at Meijer vs. Wacker... of course the Wacker is best - seems to run smoother, smells better and best of all, has less sulfur.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I got some regualr diesel at Meijer's once, and it was CRAP. Hard, smoky starts, worse slow down shudder... just crappy fule