should I replace subframe bushings?

Ghastly

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Sedan, 2009 Jetta Wagon
Car is 2004 Jetta sedan with 160,000km. I'm doing a refresh of all suspension bushings except the subframe bushings. Are the subframe bushings likely to be toast? Should I order the parts and do it all at the same time? I really want make the front-end as tight as possible. Please advise!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I still haven't figured out why they even have rubber bushings on the rear half of the subframe.. The front half is bolted solid, so they kinda seem useless..

Either way, I do a lot of bushings on mk4's and rarely ever see bad subframe bushings.. I'm putting an engine in an 02 Golf that has 300k and it has good subframe bushings.. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you..

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
Don't worry about them unless you plan on upgrading to the Audi TT subframe bushings.

Ghastly

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear. The TT bushings sound great, but at $207 per set it's a little expensive.

Evil-Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 TDI PD-R
I still haven't figured out why they even have rubber bushings on the rear half of the subframe.. The front half is bolted solid, so they kinda seem useless..

Either way, I do a lot of bushings on mk4's and rarely ever see bad subframe bushings.. I'm putting an engine in an 02 Golf that has 300k and it has good subframe bushings.. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you..

Thats on a stock motor and parts. When you start upgrading other parts such as nozzles, turbo, dogbone, etc, and adding more power, you will see that all bushings, including subframe, will deteriorate quicker..Im at 170,000kms and my subframe bushings need replacing. Its just my opinion that if you are upgrading all mounts and replacing busheings, might as well not half arce it and just replace the subframe bushings too.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I didn't do my subframe yet but will with the clutch I am thinking as my brother said it makes it easier to just drop that down. I haven't had a reason to drop the sub frame down yet. That and mine look great yet. Brothers look like crap though.

Ghastly

Veteran Member
TDI
Car is 2004 Jetta sedan with 160,000km. I'm doing a refresh of all suspension bushings except the subframe bushings. Are the subframe bushings likely to be toast? Should I order the parts and do it all at the same time? I really want make the front-end as tight as possible. Please advise!

The correct answer is yes, you should replace the subframe bushings - with Audi TT parts.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I'm running 034motorsports billet bushings in my second car, works great, no NVH change detected, mild steering improvement. That's on current car.
No last car I had one that was screwed, HUGE improvement (car would clunk).