Key Won't Go In Ignition Switch

dieselonly

TDI
2011 Golf, 2012 Tourag TDI
HELP! Came out of movie and can't get key to insert in ignition switch. Never had a warning that there was a problem. This is a 2005 New Jetta. Right now it is at the lot because we got a ride home. I tried all that I knew to do but no help. You just can't get the key to go into the switch. I'm thinking it is mechanical but will go out and disconnect the battery to make the KAM go brain dead and see it it helps. I'm disparate here in MN. I don't want to have it towed to the VW dealer.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
My 2005.5 Jetta did this exactly the same thing when I went to pick up my brother at the Seattle airport. The airport is over 2 hours from home and his flight was @ 12:45 AM, so I was kind of up a creek with out a paddle. I tried everything to get the key back in the ignition with no luck and finally figured if I'm going to be stuck calling a tow, I was going to try one last thing. I took out the valet key and just pushed it into the ignition until it went in, and it worked. I was able to start it and drive home. I was afraid to remove the key because I needed the car for work so I would lock the car using the regular key. I did this for a week until my next day off and finally got brave and removed the key and ever sense the key slides in and out just fine, just like it did when new. I did spray some lock lubricant in the key hole and have been fine for 3 weeks now. Knock on wood. I know this isn't much help so good luck and please post what you do find out so I know what to look for.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Get a flash light, and a normal size screwdriver. Look into the ignition switch with the flashlight, you should see a piece of white plastic blocking the entrance (supposedly a dust cover of sorts). This object is spring loaded, and if it becomes cocked, it will lock in place.
Now comes the screw driver. Work on that plastic with the least amount of effort (force) that you feel is required, until you get it back into place.

I've had it happen twice, back in '05, and it has not happened since.

Last edited:

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Now that is a good tip, I will remember that one. As a locksmith I often run into this sort of thing. The first thing I do is inspect for debris. Then I put a pick in and feel around and make sure the tumblers are moving up and down. Usually something like will be obvious.

If that does not solve your problem the next thing I do is spray some lube in. I am very particular about lube on locks. I like Ballistol for most locks. I also keep a dry lube in an aerosol can on hand. I tend to steer clear of silicone. Ford makes a product that is basically aerosol White Lithium with some thinners. I like this product but use it sparingly ignitions. Works extremely well on door hinges too. Both car door hinges and the ones on your home or office. Will quiet a squeaky hinge for months, even years sometimes.

If nothing else works I will occasionally do the following. It's very important to make sure there is no debris in the lock first. Also, I am extremely gentle. I will place the key in as far is it will go. Then I give the key a light tap with a screwdriver handle. Inspect first, then lube, then give it a tap. DO NOT POUND!

Many ignitions must be turned with the key to allow for removal and/or disassembly. That means if the key does not turn it may have to be made to turn or damaged to allow for removal/repair anyway.

If all else fails you may want to contact a locksmith before having it towed to your dealer. Many locksmiths have stopped working on cars, especially the high security ones like VWs but a few of us specialize in cars. It pays to call quite a few. The best auto locksmiths generally have a small yellow pages ad or no ad at all. So how do you find them? Try the smaller ads, internet, and ask around. Often the larger lock shops know who they are and will refer you to them.

dieselonly

TDI
2011 Golf, 2012 Tourag TDI
Ignition Switch Problem

IT WORKED! I sprayed some WD40 in lock cylinder and worked the plastic part and finally got the key in. I wasn't so sure if it was going to work but eventually with some force the key went in. Had you not responded to my post I would have had a very expensive tow! I owe you one.

I grew up and lived in MI all my life until Ford moved me to KC in 2004. Retired with the big group in 2007 and came back seven months ago working for Ford in MN. I know where's the loyalty? Owned at least 22 new and used Fords. Had to get TDI's for mileage and technology since they want to leave all the diesels in Europe!

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
Yeah, I'm a FORD man but when my Explorer got rear ended on Halloween 2005 I decided it was time for a TDI.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Gave up my 30 Gallon per week 7.3L Diesel just in time. Diesel is now $3.99 per gallon.
What a rip!
Loving the TDI, and $7.00 per gallon is when I start griping.
;)

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
You mentioned expensive tow, did you try VW roadside assistance - should be good for 4 years or you are over 4?

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
Yeah, I love my TDI too. I still have my vans for my business but we don't use them as often as we used to.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Hi! My '05 Golf TDI has the opposite problem - the ignition switch flap (as the stealership called it) doesn't close. They lubed it, but it didn't help. It's under warranty still. They ordered a new switch lock. In the meantime all the dust can fly in. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks! Kristina

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
whitetdi05 said:
Hi! My '05 Golf TDI has the opposite problem - the ignition switch flap (as the stealership called it) doesn't close. They lubed it, but it didn't help. It's under warranty still. They ordered a new switch lock. In the meantime all the dust can fly in. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks! Kristina
Just the opposite, eh?

Take a Q-Tip, or a good solid 'sucker' stick, and cut it in half with scissors (SHARP scissors, if a Q-Tip is your choice, cut the cotton ends off, you want just the stick portion).
Q-Tips, and 'sucker' sticks are made out of compression wrapped paper. If your new tool gets a little ragged, make a new one.

Poke at the white block with the freshly cut end of the "tool" that you just created. It might take 5 or 10 minutes of poking, and possibly 2 or 3 fresh sticks to get it to move. Once it moves, use a very light spray of silicon lube, don't over do it. repeat as needed, but go light on any lube that you use.

Last edited:

WillR

Veteran Member
Thanks Tim. Its 95 deg out, cooled down from 100. I am in VA for training for 4 days (3 hours from home), I get home Thursday, today is Monday. I get a call from my Daughter (15). "Dad, Mom is mad, we are at chillies and she can't get the key into the car"! First I try to calm Mom down (no luck) I try to talk her through your "white plastic thing is stuck", She agrees, but can't find anything to move it. I call my Brother (lives next door), he runs out to chillies (on way to airport to pick up his wife). He angles the key torwards the front of car and forces it into hole! She is now heading home.

Anyway, once she gets home we got a couple things to try.
Can she lock the car with key #2 while key #1 is still in ignition?

if yes, I will have her drive the car until I get home. She can just lock the key into car while leaving it in ignition. (I hope she don't automaticly just pull it out, its habit forming).

If no, she needs to try to spray some wd-40 into hole by pulling key out 1/2 way (what a mess), then working key in and out. Only to eventuly pull key all the way out, Hoping it goes back in again.

Brother will not be back until around midnight. He did say she could borrow his spare Dodge Ram 50 (with no AC) until I get home.

Murphy sucks. This stuff only happens while I am away at training twice per year.

UPDATE: She got home, pulled the key 1/2 way, in and out while spraying a little wd40 into lock. She pulls key all the way out and it goes right back in. She notices she can't see that little white plastic thing anymore. My bets are it is still stuck, but now stuck in the open position, only to move again once it gets hot in car (tomorrow). Hope it don't get stuck again.

Also, you can lock the key in the car, but you need the use the 2nd key in the door lock to lock and unlock the car. (remote will not work).

Could the position of the wheels while parked have anything to do with this? I don't beleve so since the wheel lock is unlocked by turning the key, not by sticking the key into the tumblers.

Last edited:

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
I have had the key rotate 360 degrees in the door lock before which freaked me out, but I haven't had any problems with the ignition switch.

WillR

Veteran Member
This is a real problem. it started to happen again. Seems the heat of the day in a locked car causes it to happen.
This time she stuck the valay key in and left it there, and locks it with her real key.

furboy

TDI
A5 05.5 Jetta Plat Gray
This happened to me 2 days ago in the 100+ degree Fort Worth, TX heat. Had VW roadside tow it to Stealership. They said some sort of spring blew and they're ordering a whole new ignition system for it. Will take 3-10 days to get parts.
Now I'm stuck with a loaner Pasaat gasser.

Kind of wish I had checked here first...I'll keep you posted on parts and such when I get it back.

AbbyTeters

TDI
2005 Jetta Key Won't Go In Ignition & Other Problems

Hi,

I had the same problem with my key not going in the ignition last night too. However, on top of that problem my clicker would not work (the red light still came on like the battery was okay, but the buttons would not do anything). Also, the horn would not work. The car was also locked in park. Has anyone else seen any of these problems before. I had it towed to the dealer today, and the tow truck driver must have done something, because the dealer said it is working fine now, and had no advice for me about what could be wrong with it. I am glad I found this forum.

uhale

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had the (original in this posting) problem tonight. The key would not go more then 1/2" into the ignition. Looking inside, I saw a white plastic obstruction. I used a small screwdriver, placed it against the white plastic obstruction (1/3" into ignition?), pushed the handle toward dash with a bit of force, pushing the white plastic piece towards me. I heard a "snap", and the obstruction was cleared!!! Saved me a ton of money, I'm sure. Probably a good idea to spray some lubricant in there afterwards.

p.s.--I didn't have any other problems, just key would not insert into ignition.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
uhale said:
I had the (original in this posting) problem tonight. The key would not go more then 1/2" into the ignition. Looking inside, I saw a white plastic obstruction. I used a small screwdriver, placed it against the white plastic obstruction (1/3" into ignition?), pushed the handle toward dash with a bit of force, pushing the white plastic piece towards me. I heard a "snap", and the obstruction was cleared!!! Saved me a ton of money, I'm sure. Probably a good idea to spray some lubricant in there afterwards.

p.s.--I didn't have any other problems, just key would not insert into ignition.
As stated on Page 1, in my response to this issue...

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Well, I believe the screwdriver that came with the car is just for this white tab fix... Same issue here...

caper7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 highline ,2006 jetta tdi
I had the same trouble tried a screwdriver didnt work i sprayed lube in and wiggled the key around and got it to finally go in..

Pat Nichols

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Thanks for this Post!

:)This is exactly the advice I needed! I resolved my problem in two minutes - fast enough to call off the tow truck! This didn't happen to me until over 100K miles, and it was quite a surprise! But my simple tools got me thru. Thank YOU!

Get a flash light, and a normal size screwdriver. Look into the ignition switch with the flashlight, you should see a piece of white plastic blocking the entrance (supposedly a dust cover of sorts). This object is spring loaded, and if it becomes cocked, it will lock in place.
Now comes the screw driver. Work on that plastic with the least amount of effort (force) that you feel is required, until you get it back into place.

I've had it happen twice, back in '05, and it has not happened since.

tttthumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm so glad for this forum. I was out tonight and when I left to go home the key would not go in the ignition. I had no tools with me, but had CAA for the tow home. As soon as I got home, I logged on here, found this thread, got a flashlight, a small screwdriver, and some WD40. Fixed within 10 mins of getting home.
I thought for sure this would have had to go to the stealership.
Thank you TDICLUB!

Marrump

TDI
looking for 2015
I had this problem at the 6 AM rush to work. Called dealer, they said "have it towed in, we will look at it in a week or two... we are really busy." have you ever heard of this problem? "No, never before don't know what it could be" Two locksmiths said they will not touch an Audi/VW ignition switch.

Thanks to this forum (and a you tube video) I became more aggressive with the ignition switch and pried the "dust shield" out of the way. the dust shield is broken, still in the lock, but not stopping the key from entering anymore.

Hmmm, should I replace my lock core and have a multi-keyed car or just keep a hammer and the valet key in the car for a future problem?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
wow! follow up on a 5-year old posting. This is the first I have heard of this problem. And BTW, what did you expect the dealer to do? Drop all the work for customers who made appointments and have their problems put on the back burner? Did you call a local guru?

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, manual. '12 Jetta, DSG
Another for the records ...

My '06 just did this to me, Never had been unable to insert the key into the "ign" switch.

So, I'm away from the car getting all this good info & will return to apply my new knowledge.

I'm not impressed by this, VW! good grief. Been a great little car, 161.5 & rolling, but seriously?

I think if I get this thing to accept a key ... the valet is going in there TO STAY.

Talk about an immobilizer! uggh...

wish me luck ladies/gents!

--- Al

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the well wishes.

I was able to use the valet key with the forward angle technique and insert.

I can't use the remote to lock, however, with the valet still in the switch. manual only. but I think that'll be my MO for while.

thanks for the thread/contributions. Score yet ANOTHER for TDIClub! Y'all ROCK.

Al

shaark92

Veteran Member
TDI
thread resurrection ...

spray silicone is yer friend. A can now rides in the trunk. Haven't had this problem since.

Thanks to my now late retired-mechanic father who gave me the suggestion after I had this problem.

190K now on the little cruiser!

twocircles

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI opt pkg 2
I suppose this issue goes away with keyless entry, but my 2015 Passat SE with 50K mi is still keyed. I thought I had inadvertenly activated some kind of security immobilization feature. I am glad for this forum.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Happened to my daughters 08 Jetta tonight. Key would not go in. She had no tools, but fished around a little in the key slot with her house key which was narrower than the car key. Finally got the key in the ignition. I sprayed a little lube in there after pulling the key out a bit. Key seems "stuck" halfway out, so we're locking the key in the car tonight. Will try to fit a narrow shim between the key and plastic thing tomorrow and hopefully get it out. Also hope it works after that, don't really want to get a new cylinder and have several keys programmed.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
It sounds to me like the lock mechanism failed similar to a failure in my 06 Jetta. I had to buy a new one and switch it out. My guess is that you will need to do that as well, but don't worry about having to have keys reprogrammed, as there is nothing in the mechanism you need to replace that requires it. There exists good write ups about how to replace the lock, with the biggest problem being getting two bolts loose that were intentionally designed to make them quite difficult to remove.