Side-rear window sun blind for JSW?

jcayce

TDI
2012 JSW
One last thing, if you are not a fan of logos, the only two logos from the company are clear backed stickers that come off by prying an edge up with a fingernail.

Last edited:

jcayce

TDI
2012 JSW
...and make sure to add the hidden 3% fee that your credit card will charge you for a foreign transaction. Around $8.00 or so. Apparently if you use a Citibank card they absorb the charge. PayPal doesn't care.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Just a comment: I understand the "cool" of darkened windows, whether by tinting or with the screens discussed in this thread. But my comment is about effectiveness. Many years ago, our family (incl. 3 young children) used to travel out west on summer vacations. I installed screen material on the rear windows of our white Volvo wagon. The inside of this screen was black but the outside was silver, thus reflecting light and heat away from the car. When the screens (or tint) are black, they have to absorb much of the light & heat that is not actually passed through the screen. Therefore, they get hot, which means that heat is now inside the car, heating the inside air!

I'd be more impressed if the outside of these screen were a lighter color, or even silver like the windshield heat shields. But I realize that wouldn't be "cool."

jcayce

TDI
2012 JSW
Interesting thoughts. Before the shades we had a 94 degree day and the car refused to stay cool in the back unless the AC fan was on level 3 on the way to pick up our son. The Friday I installed the shades we drove to Austin in 90 degree weather and the back of the car was nicely shaded and cool, AC on level 1. Not only do we get the benefit of a cooler inside, it must be positively affecting mpg to have the fan lower.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Even if it didn't help the heat at all, it also would save the car's interior from the sun. But, it may reflect heat better than it reflects visible light. And it does reflect visible light, even though it looks black at first. Depending on how the light hits it, it is not really reflective, but doesn't look like black felt either. I guess my point is to not assume that it doesn't help with heat. Since the days are only just starting to get hot, I don't have a good feel for it yet, but I think it is helping.

But it does help with the sun-in-the-eyes effect for kids in the backseat.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
Even if it didn't help the heat at all, it also would save the car's interior from the sun. But, it may reflect heat better than it reflects visible light. And it does reflect visible light, even though it looks black at first. Depending on how the light hits it, it is not really reflective, but doesn't look like black felt either. I guess my point is to not assume that it doesn't help with heat. Since the days are only just starting to get hot, I don't have a good feel for it yet, but I think it is helping.

But it does help with the sun-in-the-eyes effect for kids in the backseat.
No problems with what you say. Perhaps I could have mentioned that, even if the screen/tint heats up, it radiates half that energy outside the vehicle. I was just thinking about the fact that black bodies maximally absorb and radiate electromagnetic radiation (visible and infra red), and that a lighter color on the outside surface would minimize heat transfer into the vehicle, like the silverized ones on my old Volvo screens. (These were black on the inside surface, of course.)

In any case, it's not a big deal, especially if dark screens do the required job and satisfy the customer. In actuality, I'd prefer to have pull-down shades for all windows, including the windshield.

Jus' can't help thinking like an old physicist.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No problems with what you say. Perhaps I could have mentioned that, even if the screen/tint heats up, it radiates half that energy outside the vehicle. I was just thinking about the fact that black bodies maximally absorb and radiate electromagnetic radiation (visible and infra red), and that a lighter color on the outside surface would minimize heat transfer into the vehicle, like the silverized ones on my old Volvo screens. (These were black on the inside surface, of course.)

In any case, it's not a big deal, especially if dark screens do the required job and satisfy the customer. In actuality, I'd prefer to have pull-down shades for all windows, including the windshield.

Jus' can't help thinking like an old physicist.
Since you brought up the "old physicist" thing, I'll have to bring you up to date. The company I work for has developed several IR reflective pigments, including a black. You can now have a black interior that will not heat the car anymore than a tan interior. Some of this years models are starting to implement these new pigments.

Or to put it in another application, you will be able to paint your vinyl siding a much darker color without fear of it warping out of shape due to heat absoprtion.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
.... The company I work for has developed several IR reflective pigments, including a black. You can now have a black interior that will not heat the car anymore than a tan interior. Some of this years models are starting to implement these new pigments.

Or to put it in another application, you will be able to paint your vinyl siding a much darker color without fear of it warping out of shape due to heat absoprtion.
Hey, that's neat. I would think black cars will really benefit. Thanks for the info.

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
just got my shades in and installed.... I bought the ones off ebay and they fit perfectly.

Installation went very smoothly and if im not imagining things they actually reduced the amount of buffeting with just the drivers window down.

Could definitely tell a difference in the inside temp of the car after being in the sun all day.

super fast shipping from Germany too.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I am not a physicist but have a masters in mechanical engineering, with experience and working knowledge of heat transfer. First I doubt it is wise or legal to drive around with reflective covers in the windows. At least your fellow drivers will give you a one finger salute as the sun blinds them from the reflection.

Insulation is another issue or factor. All these shades and tints do is keep or filter light from getting into the car, heating up the upholstery. It is not like you are putting on 6 inches of R20 insulation. Notice good windshield shades (the kind you put up when parked) have reflective face and are insulated.

The sun shades I have and above poster has, have air space between the shade and window when installed. Window Tint Film does not have any air gap or insulation. The WINDOWS will get hot and through radiant heat transfer put heat into the car. You are only filtering our or shading the inside of the cars interior. There is no free lunch. The "fabric" the sun shades use as an insulating value, plastic film does not (too thin). I don't think plastic is better than the fabric shades in keeping the car cool. If you want best find shade to park your car in or put a car cover over it.... (with the windows cracked open). BTW I do crack my windows to allow some air to get in. The fabric shades are nice for cracking the rear windows since it keeps things from getting into the car (like a screen door in your house).

I can definitely say with record 91F and 93F days, the sun shades have kept it comfortable to get into my JSW at the end of the day (Platinum Grey with Black interior). I have to say I also put up a REFLECTIVE INSULATED WINDOW SHADE on the windshield .... both reflective and is insulated. I suspect if I had custom fit shield like this for all windows it would be better, but it would require putting them up and taking them down each time I drove. All the shades and tints you can drive with are a compromise. At some point it is diminishing return. You car sitting in direct sun light in a parking lot will get hot.... however the idea is to keep the interior from cooking.

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I agree with the above comments. I think the fabric sun shades help, but I don't have a good feel for how much just yet. The car was still hot yesterday after being parked in the sun, but I'm convinced that it's better than it otherwise would be.

Even without anything else on the other windows, I think putting a big shade in the windshield when you park is a big help to reducing the interior temps! It's got to help save the interior. In the past, I even used a cheap cardboard shade, and it worked pretty well. I think anything sticking up in the window will have some insulating effect, but probably the shiny insulated ones are best.

NITRO330

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Here you go:

1K9064363 - 2 shade set for backseat windows

1K9-064-365-A - 3 shade set for luggage compartment (rear window and 2 small side windows)
Order from dealer, input that into google or go to the parts suppliers and order. I've used keffervwparts.com for a decent discount.

I got the ones for the Golf and my little niece loves to ride with me just because she's not getting a faceful of sun in her carseat.
Congratulations and good luck with the little one.
FYI, the first part number is WRONG. I ordered the part mentioned above and it is for the 2007 variant and does not line up correctly. Great.

Correct part number is: 5K4 064 363

Last edited:

buckeyebuck

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I know this is an old post but wanted to voice my EXTREME SATISFACTION with Windesa.
I have a 2014 JSW and the eBay auction said their window screens were NOT compatible. However, after looking at this thread's posts and considering the OEM window screens I noted the OEM's are compatible w/ several model years, including the 2014 model. I contacted Windesa a 3rd time and noted this (the prior two times they gave the standard: "No, it's not compatible and we don't foresee making them for that model year due to limited demand.") They got an employee to look into the issue. Sure enough, the ones on eBay ARE compatible. They apologized for the misleading responses. I purchased a set for $249 US and had them in just over a week.
I scoffed when people said it took 10 minutes to install these..."Nothing is that easy." I was so wrong. These could not be more simple and fast to install! No muss, no fuss. If you're on the fence about tinting or screens, this seems the way to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mom6viebdprtnlr/2015-06-04 10.33.09.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfwr97w2lkq85jm/2015-06-04 10.33.24.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9khn04cdz87m2w7/2015-06-04 10.34.01.jpg?dl=0

Last edited: