Scanguage II set up on ALH TDI

Hussman

TDI
2003 VW Jetta ALH TDI 5 speed
Hey guys,

Other than the 2 fill-ups the manual says for set up on a scanguage, what else is needed to be done to make sure it is there most accurate?

Please help!

Thanks guys.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Make sure the miles recorded by the SG match your odometer, or actual miles if your odometer is not accurate.

Hussman

TDI
2003 VW Jetta ALH TDI 5 speed
Make sure the miles recorded by the SG match your odometer, or actual miles if your odometer is not accurate.
I've noticed they are different by a few. My odometer is dead on as I test it with mile signs. How do I lock those up together? after the 2 fill up calibration it said I got 44.4 and my math on calculator I got 46.6.

-Cody

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Make sure the odometer matches actual.
Then you have to adjust the amoount of gallons you put in.

Ideally, the manual states to fill it up for the first fillup (the manual says to the first click, but if you're vented like mine, until you can see the fuel - no adjustments to be made.
For the 2nd and subsequent fillups, fill it up, then adjust the amount of fuel put in - the SGII indicated more then I had, so lowering the gallons raised the MPG - to pretty close to my hand calculated value. For the 2nd, it also recomends going to the same pump as your initial fillup.

Some members recomend going 50% of your correction - I was departing Raleigh to move to KC, so I went 100% for all corrections. The AVG value for a highway run is very close to my hand calculated MPG.

It doesn't seem to matter if your car has some performance enhancements made either - I have both bigger injector nozzles and RC2 on my Beetle.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I've noticed they are different by a few. My odometer is dead on as I test it with mile signs. How do I lock those up together? after the 2 fill up calibration it said I got 44.4 and my math on calculator I got 46.6.
-Cody
Adjust the "Speed" setting in the SG to calibrate the miles measured. A little confusing.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
A few settings

Set the fuel to "Diesel A" if not already done. Make sure the engine displacement is correct.

It can take a few tanks for it to be accurate. Always make sure to fill the tank all the way to the top (obvious). Ya gotta nurse that last gallon plus in... A ventectomy helps!

When you fill it up be sure to enter the gallons into the Scan Gauge and save it.

If you check the mpg registered on the unit against the calculated mpg you will see over time it will be more and more accurate. It has to learn the parameters, etc.

The nice part about the scan gauge is that it will help you drive more efficiently. The scan gauge (or similar device) is important if you are trying to hypermile, etc.