MK6 Touch Screen Stereo into a MK5? Easy???

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
This might have been covered before but I can't find a definitive answer.
Please let me know if the touch-screen stereo in my MK6 Jetta TDI (getting turned in) will swap easily into my 2006 Special Edition TDI. I just don't want to take both cars apart to find out the connectors are completely different or incompatible. I read some things about the CAN module possibly needing upgrading as well... will the MK6 CAN module swap into the MK5? I don't want to find out the hard way that my battery is being drained :)
My Jetta is getting turned in tomorrow, so I will have very little time to make this work and I don't want to turn in a car with a hole in the dash.
Thanks guys!!!

MK6 Stereo "donor" for my MK5

Original MK5 Stereo

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
I haven't done it myself as I can't see the upside of spending so much on a factory unit considering the quality of aftermarket...but I believe it's an easy swap. Some require a can bus update for a battery drain problem but there are also workarounds for that. There are lots of threads all over the internet about that issue. Main point is to see that your systems go to sleep when the car is shut down after the install is complete, Some have problems, some don't. With just a little reading you can likely confirm if your car will be a problem.

I installed an aftermarket radio and while I could have run my own wires to circumvent this problem I spent $40 on a go between harness.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
It's easy to do, and it looks OEM. Might as well buy a RCD330G+ from eBay or aliexpress (they're made in China) and install that one, as they come in the mk7 cars. I've paid for mine $120, and another $25 for the Can-Bus module (which takes 15 minutes to replace, but you will need Vag-Com for reprogramming). The radio has touchscreen, of course, built in Bluetooth, sd card, and many other options. I've got mine for like 10 months now, works with no problems. Check the link, it looks like this: https://www.drive2.ru/l/474584403993952824/

farmboy98

TDI
05.5 MKV BRM
I swapped my stock radio to an RNS315 earlier this year. While it appears you have a RNS510, I believe the swap is basically the same. There are loads of radio removal guides on youtube that go into very good detail. There is also an excellent writeup/guide on the other diesel forum.

Was not a hard swap, just take your time when removing the brittle plastic. Same main connector on both radios, just plugs right in. I did have to swap my gateway, which was not hard to do. Depending on your antenna connectors, you may need an adapter for the radio antennas. I should have used an adapter, but I just broke the plugs off the metal ends, and they seem to be staying fine in the back of the radio. Saved a few bucks.

I personally would do the swap again, the OEM look matches everything perfectly. Good luck.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies!
It's too late now to make the swap and I will feel bad turning in a car with a gaping hole in the middle of the dash. Hopefully VW fixes my 2012 TDI, sells it and lets someone else enjoy the car for another 100k miles!!!

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
Guess I didn't read it close enough. That's a bummer as you could have just slapped the other back in there without incident and dealt with any problems on the 06 after the fact.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah... I feel pretty stupid now.
My Jetta was pristine... all fluids maintained, filters etc. Not a single dent on any door (small one on back bumper). Interior looked new and the car had GLI wheels, H&R springs, koni shocks and a Kerma chip.
I asked the guy at the dealership if they would resell the car. He said a 2012 with over 100k miles would sit up in the high deserts of CA for about a year and then probably get crushed. It's not my car any more... but it was a great car and turning it in was super depressing.
If I had known my car was destined for the scrap yard, I would not have felt guilt about stripping it out a bit. Oh well, c'est la vie.