Battery Size?

kbryson

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just purchased a 2000 Jetta and the maintenance receipts that came with it mentioned the car battery is too small, thus some problems starting in the cold. The lady I bought it from didn't seem to like their advice and never changed the battery.

What is the proper size battery for this car, so I know what size to get if this becomes a problem. How can you even tell what 'size' the battery is?

-k

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
kbryson said:
Thanks, I had searched on battery size but that 94r is the key that I didn't have.

cheers, kb
__. I'd add that you should be a little careful of what you read. Some service people (dealership and others) will invent some pretty fanciful stories to cover up their own incompetence. A TDI puts some pretty stressful demands on its battery but the stock battery is up to the task. If it has a stock battery in good condition and there's starting trouble (anywhere warmer than about -45F), then it's not the battery. But a number of battery types are the same size as the stock TDI battery but they don't have the capacity to perform as well. Be sure that you replace with a stock battery or a genuine equivalent.

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I just put an Interstate MTP-H7 in my car (no more than 5 min ago); $161.95, 30 mo. free replacement, 85 mo. pro-rated. Compares to OEM at $119.95 with 12 mo. free replacement, 60 mo. prorated.

The OEM battery I replaced was less than 30 months old.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
otbBlaine said:
I just put an Interstate MTP-H7 in my car (no more than 5 min ago); $161.95, 30 mo. free replacement, 85 mo. pro-rated. Compares to OEM at $119.95 with 12 mo. free replacement, 60 mo. prorated.

That is what I recommend, too. Although it won't fit in the NB :(

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
otbBlaine said:

__. The Interstate battery has some really nice warranty/service specs but is it up the job of cranking a TDI when the engine is cold? TDI's put some heavy loads of batteries. Batteries with "ordinary" CCA and Reserve capacity will work very well in a gasser but fail in a TDI.

__. The OEM battery in my '02 sedan went nearly 5 years before the car was totalled and it was fine then. Dunno about the battery in my '03 wagon but MzLauraLee is still on the original battery in her waggin (pushing 4 1/2 years old). All my batteries get the cells opened and distilled water to bring them up to level at least twice a year (it usually takes a good bit - these ARE NOT "sealed"/maintenance-free batteries).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The MTP-H7 is a wee bit more than the factory battery rating, actually, and has a 7 year warranty. We have never had one fail.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Actually, there are two 'size' ratings you should consider. One is the physical size (and layout) specified as 'group' (48 or 94R). The other is CCA (cold cranking amps), which should be the largest you can attain in the physical size for your car.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
scooperhsd said:
Reserve capacity of 120 as well
__. No More Calls, Please -- We Have a Winner!!! The size of the battery is one of the least important parts of this decision. The battery you pick for a TDI *must* be up to the job. Typical gasser batteries don't have the power to start a TDI in cold weather -- at least not for very long. The battery must be up to the job.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
My 05 Pasatt is experiencing battery issues. After short vacation late august (maybe 4 days) without pasatt I got clicking and dead battery.

I jumped it, actually let it charge for few minutes off wifes car and it started fine. it ran fine since until this morning and the same symptom.
Could be time for new battery.
I haven't checked the brand but I assume it original factory.

Is this average life span for OEM battery? I guess 36 months. Registered as 05 but manufactured date I believe is 11/04 so could be on last amps.

Chris

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
A lot of battery manufacturers will tell you tat after three years, you are on borrowed time ( regardless of warranty period ). Go buy a new one.

One other little point. Not every battery has the amp/hr rating on its label. As I understand, reserve time is a direct comparison. I don't know how much reserve time we need, but it would seem the more the merrier is a good place to start.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Stolen from another battery thread:

It gives a time in minutes. ... this is the amount of time a battery can deliver 25 Amps from a full charge til the time it's output Voltage drops to 10.5. So if the given "Reserve Capacity" is 100:

25 Amps x 100 minutes / 60 (minutes in an hour) = 41.6 Ah.

jamesandruth

TDI
Golf, 2003, Blue
otbBlaine said:

How long are people's OEM batteries lasting? I'm considering proactively replaceing my 4yr old battery. Good idea? I live in fairly cold country (MN) where it can get below 0F for a week or two.

jamesandruth

TDI
Golf, 2003, Blue
Just got the MTP-H7

otbBlaine said:

I called exactly one place and the Interstate truck was on it's way there and they had a H7 on board. We checked the size and it is just right for my 2003 Golf. $140/149 with tax. Got it from Heartland Tire and Auto in Shakopee, MN 952 445 8473. Ask for Dick, he was helpful. I think that's a good price, too. No relation, just a happy customer.