City Lights as DRL

waywardsmile

TDI
00 Golf GLS
has anyone done the city light as DRL mod here? is it bright enough? I was thinking of putting some really bright LED in the city light position so i'm not using the H7s so much.

also reading through the how to PDF it seems you just switch the pins that the wires connect to (ie swap the city light and low beam connections). this still allows the low beam to function normally, correct? I don't know a whole lot about electronics, how do the city lights and low beams request their respective power requirements?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The city lights are very dim 5W5 bulbs. If you are concerned about DRLs for safety, then you are defeating the purpose by doing this mod. If you are trying to go for the true euro look, then get a euroswitch and kill the DRLs. You can then activate the city lights alone, with fogs (if you get ecode headlights), with low beam, or with all three.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I guess I should add that I have e-codes with euroswitch and DRLs killed (via bent TRL pin). I will switch to city lights when the sun is around the horizon, then fogs when they make usable light on the road and I deem it too dark for city lights, then off with the fogs and on with the low beams when its dark. I only use both low beam and fog when it is truly inclement weather. I only use the rear fog when it is truly foggy or raining extremely heavy.