Weeping EGR

Sarahvici0us

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI
I just looked at my car today and my EGR has a small oil leak.
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI. It's not leaking profusivley, or enough for me to notice that the oil is missing whenever I check the dipstick.

Is there anything I can do to stop the EGR from leaking? :confused: I was thinking about cleaning up the intake hoses and just doing a complete all around inspection to see if that helps with anything.

Could buying a new EGR help my cause at all? I've read that it's normal for these kinds of cars to leak oil at the EGR, but I'm a worrywart and would like some help and advice. :p

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My '01 EGR weeps some. I put a clean small rag under it and change to a new one when its oil change time. I don't worry about it, but a new one would fix it.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
Yes, cleaning the intake and intercooler will help. As will removing the EGR valve and cleaning it too.

Make sure the crankcase pressure isn't high, the ALH engines have an oil control baffle in the valve cover, I don't think yours can be taken apart to be cleaned. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, these will raise crankcase pressure since the vacuum pump discharges air into the valve cover area, increasing the rate of flow of air through the crankcase ventilation system.

You could insert a small brass tube into the vent hole that is weeping oil, venting it to a small catch container. Remember, it needs to be open to atmospheric pressure since that is what pushes the EGR open. Plug it and the EGR will not function.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The EGR is completely different on the PDs, as opposed to the ALH engined TDIs. Its electrical on the '04 and there is no diaphragm or weep hole. I suppose it could be leaking from the o-ring that seals it to the intake manifold.

One thing that really leaks oil on the BEW is the joint between the throttle housing and the rubber boost elbow (this is normal from the mist in the intake charge from blowby and turbo seals). The throttle housing sits to the left of the EGR valve (when looking at it, standing in front of the car). Replacing its O-ring can help a lot. And installing this will prevent future leaks and also keep the joint from pulling apart:

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-378/Pumpe-Duse-Intake-Hose-fdsh-Manifold/Detail

--Nate