Having trouble with my TDI - Is it the Turbo?

Paulrd277

TDI
none
I have a 2001 TDI Jetta automatic with 100k miles on it. I just had the timing belt, battery and oil changed. The only problem I am having now is I'm not really getting any power when I put the throttle down. When I push the gas all the way, the revs go high but it doesn't really go anywhere. It also has trouble up hills as well. Also, it wont change gears when I get to 4000 rpms unless I let off the gas. Someone told me the turbo isn't working because I'm not getting any power, is this true? I don't think It's my tranny because it goes into drive and reverse with no problem. My check engine light isn't on either. If anyone knows or has had this problem in the past, please let me know. Any information would help!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Who changed the timing belt, battery and oil?

njphil

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg1
I had a somewhat similar problem at around 35k miles. wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th , 4th to 5th, etc (and merging into traffic was a safety issue) till i let off the accelarator a bit, and really jerky shifting. I was getting serviced at a dealer back then and they said fuel filter was causing it. It affected fuel pressure (not sure exactly how, fuel pump i guess) and cause the trans to act like it was.

But I have a dsg tranny.

Paulrd277

TDI
none
Well, I just took it out again and there was a loud hissing sound whenever I accelerated. After the engine got warm it went away, but now the check engine light is on :-/ Maybe there's a hose leak?

I changed the oil and battery myself and had the timing belt done by a local garage.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Well, I just took it out again and there was a loud hissing sound whenever I accelerated. After the engine got warm it went away, but now the check engine light is on :-/ Maybe there's a hose leak?

I changed the oil and battery myself and had the timing belt done by a local garage.
There is almost certainly nothing wrong with your turbo. But the local mechanic may have dislodged a vacuum hose or failed to tighten the clamp to the intercooler properly -- there are a number of things he could have done wrong.

Unless your local mechanic is a TDI expert, you might have his work checked by someone who is... there are a number of them in New England.

Paulrd277

TDI
none
Im so glad it's not the turbo! Thanks for your reply, Im going to try to find a TDI mechanic around here.
Thanks again!

mariahexp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI automatic BEW Wagon
I had a somewhat similar problem at around 35k miles. wouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th , 4th to 5th, etc (and merging into traffic was a safety issue) till i let off the accelarator a bit, and really jerky shifting. I was getting serviced at a dealer back then and they said fuel filter was causing it. It affected fuel pressure (not sure exactly how, fuel pump i guess) and cause the trans to act like it was.

But I have a dsg tranny.
I purchased a 2004 Jetta wagon TDI with automatic/triptronic transmission and 83,000 miles. Had professional 3rd party inspection which found no problems and had it shipped to me. Car arrived with engine light on, no power to climb hills, and major problems in shifting smoothly when just getting going after sitting for a few hours or overnight. Actuator on turbo was bad which was big investment to fix but now it has power when needed. Unfortunately, it is still having trouble shifting from 1st/2nd then 2nd/3rd till car is very very warm. Then it shifts smoothly and has plenty of turbo boost to get up WV hills.

Don't have a local expert close by so I've driven 4 hours each way to Athens, OH to have belts changed/diagnose turbo actuator problem, then to go back once part was in to replace actuator.

So, did the fuel filter address your problem shifting? Do I possibly need a new thermostat so it warms up more quickly? New transmission (I hope not)? Transmission flush (I don't know if that even happens)?

I don't know a lot about cars. I want my car to drive without revving up to 4000 rpms before shifting. I got screwed by a Florida dealership and now am just trying to get this great fuel efficient car to run how it should since the dealership wasn't honest about its problems.

Mariah

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
The only problem I am having now is I'm not really getting any power when I put the throttle down. When I push the gas all the way, the revs go high but it doesn't really go anywhere.
My thought would be that the clutch is slipping and on it's way out.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulrd277
The only problem I am having now is I'm not really getting any power when I put the throttle down. When I push the gas all the way, the revs go high but it doesn't really go anywhere.
My thought would be that the clutch is slipping and on it's way out.
First of all this thread is from July 2010. The original poster had an automatic (with a boost leak)

Mariahexp should search "cold, shift, N92, 09A"