1400 miles (2254 km.) on 1 tank!!

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Impossible? <P>1407 miles (2265 km.)<BR>24.19 gal. (91.57 l.)<BR>58.2 MPG<P>I took a 1000 mile business trip and thought I would try to better my previous records for mileage and cruise distance (49.5 MPG, 1206 miles). I upped tire pressure to 44 PSI, chose a route that I thought would be the flattest (turns out it wasn't the best choice), and slowed down a bit. The results, according to my MFA, were so encouraging that it made a perfect excuse to take another 300 mile trip (thinking that would be as far as the car could go...wrong!).<P>Since I had a useable 1/2 gallon left at the end, I think that once I install my Upsolute chip and larger diameter tires, and choose a flatter route, I should be able to go 1500 miles (though I'm in no hurry to do this any time soon).<P>The Passat wagons can't compete with the 5-speed A4s (nor some of the Passat sedans on the Forum) in terms of real world MPG, but their big tanks have certain advantages. I think I have really earned my "Fahrfrumpumpen" sticker!<p>[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Bell ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah... with my Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD 115HP and not only by regular highway, I do: 1200km (50 lt of Diesel Fuel)!!!

And now, with new MJTD 1.9 140cv I think is more difficult for TDI!!

TDI is more noise than JTD, and just a little expensive.

Hi all

[/ QUOTE ]

No other car will go 2000 + km than the B4's, not one! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've got a tank of 2154.7 and 2120 km to my first year driving the TDI (it was last summer; there are 2 threads about each).

I'll beat Mr Bell next summer, don't worry about it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

2RENU

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
Hi i am wondering one thing,

how are you sure that your hybrid GLX / TDI instrument cluster is fully accurate and calibrated correctly ?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The odometer (and distance values in the MFA) were checked on a speedometer dyno and were right on. That was the easy part.

The hard part is calibrating the ECM's fuel consumption signal for the MFA. Well, not difficult just very, very time-comsuming. And it has to re-done if you change fuel types (i.e, petro to B20, or B20 to B100). This fact really encourages you to stick with one fuel type.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Just a quick update on my first full tank on my B4 wagon:
I'm now at over 900 miles with an indicated 10 gallons remaining, and on B100 no less!

Lug_Nut

TDI
I suspect that I'll chicken out before then.
The gauge has begun the more rapid descent that began at about 10 "gallons" indicated on my two prior sedans. I had been attaining 100 miles per two "gallons" on the gauge. Now it's about 80.
Fourteen hundred miles is still a possibility, but I don't think I want to try THAT hard, not yet anyway.
Chris was right, I'll get over 1300, but I now seriously think that 1400 is not going to happen this first fill-up.
I may make a serious attempt sometime after getting a needed front end alignment and changing out the low profile tires I presently have for something that rolls more easily.
Or maybe next time I'll just pump these up to 40 or 44 lbs.

Lug_Nut

TDI
UNCLE! I concede!
I'm just over 1200 miles with just four gallons indicated remaining. I *could* try for the 1400 mile benchmark, but have decided against it (chickened out) at this time. I'll be at about 1275 miles by the time I get home tonight, just a shade over 2000 km, and I'll add some fuel.
It's now obvious to me that the key is conservative driving from the beginning of the tank and not depending on the volume alone to be sufficient means of attaining the distance. My next attempt, and I expect that I will try again, will be more serious than this first foray into mileage marathon madness. I'll put on the narrower, lower resistance tires and keep their pressure up closer to the maximum. I'll avoid running the A/C. I'll behave in the speed department.
Until then Chris and David deserve the accolades and my envy.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JB, why don't you use this opportunity to check the tank capacity and the gauge calibration (i.e., where "empty" really is)? You're probably carrying around a quart of B100, new fuel filter, and funnel already in case your filter plugs up with petro residue, right? Why not either run it till it begins to sputter or do short runs close to your fillup location, shutting the engine off between runs? When startup time becomes lengthy, you know you're at the dregs. For my wagon, when I shut the engine off, then restart it fairly soon thereafter and the startup time is noticeably longer, I'll run "dry" within 10-20 miles.

Letting it run dry is not ideal, I know, but if you shut it down at the first indication of sputter and manually fill the filter before restarting, I don't think it does any harm, especially w/ B100.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Thirteen hundred eight point two miles, that's all I managed. I sputtered out this morning with an indicated gallon remaining. The fuel gauge needle was not much lower than it was before I started filling a week ago. I had thought that there were two or three in the tank when I put in just over 25 gallons back then, but that is not how it now appears.
I poured in 5 gallons from the jug I had carried and the needle moved up to just under 8 gallons indicated. But the needle doesn't move much above 18 indicated even when vented. The fuel filter wasn't empty. It accepted only a quick squirt from the primer bottle I had also brought along.
So... Let's presume that the tank was nearly empty before I filled and vented a week ago. I put in just over 25 gallons, right in line with other owner's vented volumes.
That puts my consumption at right around 50 mpg, hardly surprising considering that I drove no differently than I had in either of the sedans. The nice thought is that I might be able to attain the same high 70~ low 80 mpg figures I would get from those when I drove accordingly.
Anyone bored and want to go for 2,000 miles, (not km.) per tank?
I'll pull the cluster out and reposition the fuel gauge needle to more accurately indicate the low tank volume remaining at the loss of accuracy when filled to the top.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Thirteen hundred eight point two miles, that's all I managed. I sputtered out this morning with an indicated gallon remaining. The fuel gauge needle was not much lower than it was before I started filling a week ago. I had thought that there were two or three in the tank when I put in just over 25 gallons back then, but that is not how it now appears.
I poured in 5 gallons from the jug I had carried and the needle moved up to just under 8 gallons indicated. But the needle doesn't move much above 18 indicated even when vented. The fuel filter wasn't empty. It accepted only a quick squirt from the primer bottle I had also brought along.
So... Let's presume that the tank was nearly empty before I filled and vented a week ago. I put in just over 25 gallons, right in line with other owner's vented volumes.
That puts my consumption at right around 50 mpg, hardly surprising considering that I drove no differently than I had in either of the sedans. The nice thought is that I might be able to attain the same high 70~ low 80 mpg figures I would get from those when I drove accordingly.
Anyone bored and want to go for 2,000 miles, (not km.) per tank?
I'll pull the cluster out and reposition the fuel gauge needle to more accurately indicate the low tank volume remaining at the loss of accuracy when filled to the top.
Velvetfoot, our cluster isn't regulated by the ECU.

Jonathan, all we have to do is to move the needle manually to get the gauge where we want it to be?

Mine doesn't go all the way up to above 70 when full.

So all I would have to do is to move it to above 70 next time I fill up and that would do the trick?

That'd be cool if true!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Perhaps it is a stop gap solution however, and there is a problem with the fuel level sender. There has to be risk in taking apart the cluster and repositioning the needle(there would be if I did it!).

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The press-fit of the needles on their spindles can be great enough to cause the servo motor casing halves to separate before the needles will pull off. See my MFA article for details

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, the fuel gauge is just eyeball calibration.

And while you're in there, why don't you install the MIL?

Joshinthecity

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf C'fortline 1.9 TDI 6-speed
You guys are carrying a small amout of diesel in a container in the car , right?
Mind if I ask what kind of container you're using for this, and weather it can sit for months or needs to have the fumes released due to sloshing ?
Josh

Thunder1

TDI
•2002 VW Beetle TDI GLS, 1.9L, 5-speed AT, Black, ~236K miles. •2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2.0L, 6-speed DSG AT, Black, ~52K miles
1400 miles on one tank of fuel?......I always that that was horsey poo poo poo......

Thunder1

TDI
•2002 VW Beetle TDI GLS, 1.9L, 5-speed AT, Black, ~236K miles. •2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2.0L, 6-speed DSG AT, Black, ~52K miles
Easy there.......you got me........t-h-o-u-g-h-t......kinda typed it up quick.......

Wow......there's two of you full of crap.....now I believe ya......I didn't think I would have to repeat this but........POOOOOOOO PO PO. Have a good one.