FraggyTDI's Zippy Commuter

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Hello All,

My name is Chadwick and I just came into possession of a 2003 Golf with 280k miles on it. I traded a dirt bike for it so as far as I'm concerned it's a good deal. The vehicle body is in steller shape for it's age not a spec of rust and only some very small dings in the body.

I'm starting this thread to track the progression of this build and to hopefully provide guidance and a what to and not to do for others in this forum. Now I'm no professional engine builder but this will be my 3rd engine tear down and rebuild. My first being a 2.0T Audi which when I started this engine tear down it was a breeze as it's essentially the same setup as the 2.0. It took me about 6 hours to pull the engine and strip is down the engine to bare bones.

Currently everything is disassembled and the block is at the machine shop for a bore and hone. The cylinder head is disassembled and cleaned. I've now began porting/cleaning. Basically everything will be replaced on this engine.

My overall goal, create a reliable stout engine that provides fun and good gas millage. Goal hp is around 300+ obviously with higher horsepower I start to sacrifice reliability but I will access so risk as they come.

Game plan:
Cylinderhead
Rebuild head
New valves
Upgraded cam (still in decision Frank06 or Colt)
Ported
New Cam followers
ARP head studs
Considering getting cam and followers cryo'd out of curiosity

Block
.5mm overbore
honed
hot tanked
Decked (will move up to 3 hole gasket)
Painted
New Nural AHL pistons (This may be a weak point that needs to be accessed)
IE Rods Rifle drilled
New bearings all around
ARP Mains
Girdle
BRM Oil sprocket
New oil chain and tensioner
New seals all around

Transmission
Ryan P 6-speed swap
LSD
HD Clutch

Performance
Upgraded Nozzles (dependent on Turbo)
GTB 2260-2566VK (Still deciding need to run numbers)
Upgraded Intake (not sure what to get here, might design my own)
FMIC or Water to air cooler\
3" exhaust to dual 2.25" out the rear

Suspension
Koni SRT's
New balljoints
TT bushings
New tie rods

Body
Wrapped or painted Nardo Grey

Avant Garde wheels

Engine will be painted to match wheel color

So this is my Goal :D I'm building this car to be with me for life and I know it's going to cost a lot in some respect but considering I was just about to buy a $22K audi that I would of dropped money into as well I feel I'm saving myself money and getting exactly what I want. I might of missed some things. I'll update this thread as I progress. My goal is to be hopefully running by the time the snow melts. Not complete with everything but engine and tranny in so I can begin the break in period.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I would strongly recommend a more stout short block out of a BEW/BRM/BHW as a solid base for your project, which would already address some of the mods in your engine list, e.g. upgraded oiling, larger bore (BHW), plus give the bonus of larger bearing journals and tapered conrod small ends.

In any case, if you're going to do any cylinder boring, don't waste your time and money on only +0.5mm, go for 81.5mm BHW pistons with much better oil cooling galleys.

300+ HP is still considered bleeding edge for a VE TDI. Your required turbo and fuel injection equipment to support that power level will definitely compromise low-end spool and torque in a single stage, plus be quite smoky. This is an excellent candidate project for a 2-stage turbo system. A PD will get you to your power goals more easily, or you could chart new territory on CR, either based on the 09+ Dieselgate-affected engines or retrofit to a VE as I have proposed elsewhere.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
@tdi Miester
What is the failure on the ALH? How many people have actually done it? If it's from block flex then I'm hoping the girdle will assist that. As far as oiling goes I'm hoping the updated sprocket will provide me with what I want. However what are the main oiling points that suffer? As far as tapered rods go they are only helping with piston strength which if I were to go to the ASV pistons that would probably eliminate that problem.

As far as the bore goes, I'm keeping it to VW specs and only doing it to provide a clean bore and hone for the new build not for the displacement.

As much fun as it would be to go sequential I don't think that's my goal on this project. It's not a race car and 300+ is just a goal if I make it sweet if not well I tried and will have a ton of fun getting there. Maybe I'll push at a later date to move to that. I appreciate the input. I will evaluate them and see what's available out there. I'm still early in the build and have very little investment. This is why I created the build thread to get the eyes from others who have had experience with it.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
No failure per se, but the later engines have had evolutionary improvements just like the ALH had improvements over the 1Z/AHU. The weaknesses become more evident as you push the performance envelope, and 300+ HP is definitely pushing if you don't want a throwaway dyno/drag queen build.

I'm looking for the best bang for your buck invested, and all I'm saying that most of the things you want to do will already be covered in large part with a newer shortblock, and OE parts are not always considered inferior to aftermarket!! I'm sure you can find a BEW/BRM/BHW with an eaten camshaft for a song. You can put an ported ALH head over such a short block or stick to the PD platform.

ASV/oversize ALH pistons - total waste of money in light of other available options IMNSHO.

Two-stage turbocharging is not for racecars, in fact IMO it's the antithesis, as I've written in reply to a PM. It's to give good spool and a wide operating range for daily street driving. If I'm doing endurance racing and the engine will never run below 3k RPM, I'd just to put a big single WG turbo in it for maximum reliability.

As much as possible, I subscribe to the do-it-right-the-first-time-and-spend-money-only-once philosophy.

Last edited:

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I guess I should of rephrased race car, to race car money. My exhaust manifold building skills is far from good. However I would love a compound turbo setup, they always provide the largest range of torque and are usually much smoother then a VGT when it comes to drivability. Downside is I've been blessed/cursed with 3D modeling capabilities and work in it daily. I tend to see the world that way which makes it had to fab on the fly sometimes. But I still try.

Don't take this as me getting defensive, I'm taking what you say as good knowledge. I've started investigating BEW blocks. I might just need to settle for a 200-250hp ALH that's stoutly built.

Last edited:

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
You dont really need to fab a manifold. You can buy T3 manifolds and the exhaust from hp turbine to lp is just a simple 90*. If you have a welder and a grinder you can do it.
Not pushing you to go compound, just sayin its really quite simple so fab/setup.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
You dont really need to fab a manifold. You can buy T3 manifolds and the exhaust from hp turbine to lp is just a simple 90*. If you have a welder and a grinder you can do it.
Not pushing you to go compound, just sayin its really quite simple so fab/setup.
I hate you guys :D. TDI miester already has me looking at BEW engines. I shall research.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410054

I'd say the fabrication is the easy part. Tuning them to do what you want proves to be the more difficult [read: time consuming] proposition. Foukhest build would be a prime example of this....top notch fabrication (I actually have his compound manifold setup now ;)) but never dialed in the tuning. Ended up parting out and moving onto something else.

I'd say tdimeister's advice about doing it right the first time and paying for it once is the best way to prevent the builder/owner from becoming discouraged and scrapping the project.

There is a local BHW Passat for cheap if you change your mind: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5865665338.html

and another: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/5836101320.html

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
When you use the BHW do you just use the short block with pistons and crank? Then mount a BEW or ALH head on it? Or do you swap in the whole engine and ECU?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410054

I'd say the fabrication is the easy part. Tuning them to do what you want proves to be the more difficult [read: time consuming] proposition. Foukhest build would be a prime example of this....top notch fabrication (I actually have his compound manifold setup now ;)) but never dialed in the tuning. Ended up parting out and moving onto something else.

That's what I was meaning, apologies if I was misleading with the "setup" part.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Ok, after evaluation I think my new path will be:

Acquire BEW engine
Bore out for BHW Pistons
Lower horsepower goals

This allows me to build a very stout engine with the potential to eventually go dual stage if I so please at a later date.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Subb'ed, sort of on the same path, just not 250 worth, :p

If you buy used BHW pistons, which I did, rings are impossible to find, I had to have some made but still miles cheaper than the dealer, which wanted $800 for rings, :eek:

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Aye - why not start off with a complete BHW to begin with seeing how cheap you can buy whole donor cars close to you?? :confused:

You can swap the whole BHW engine and move over some parts from your ALH, e.g. oil pan, etc. Jimbote did a thorough write up here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308134

The complete swap will be much simpler if you have a donor car because you'll also need the ECU and engine harness, not just the longblock, to operate the PD injection system. If you're putting on an ALH head, it's easier from the ECU standpoint and you also move over the injection pump bracket and crank position sensor wheel from the ALH.

When you use the BHW do you just use the short block with pistons and crank? Then mount a BEW or ALH head on it? Or do you swap in the whole engine and ECU?

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
@FraggyTDI, if you sell your 11mm pump, you'd be already well on the way towards buying one of the Passats listed with the BHW engine. Put in suitable injector nozzles, GTB2060VLKR or GTD2060VZ turbo and a remap and you can be at 250 HP without any engine internal upgrades!!

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
@FraggyTDI, if you sell your 11mm pump, you'd be already well on the way towards buying one of the Passats listed with the BHW engine. Put in suitable injector nozzles, GTB2060VLKR or GTD2060VZ turbo and a remap and you can be at 250 HP without any engine internal upgrades!!
Yup this is the path I'm going down at the moment. I have the VNT 17 up for sale, the pistons and rods block and 11mm pump. I should be able to get the whole car using all that money. I'm going to try and low ball the 800 passat since i would have to tow it back.

But I'll probably still rebuild all the internals so I can choose to step up at any time.

Would you do a balance shaft delete? I know this was a thing on the audi 2.0t's but usually had issues after the delete.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Nardo Grey is my favorite color as of late. I would consider wrapping mine, but I'm a car detailer and I put SO MUCH work into my 2004 paint (to demo my skills to customers), so I can't wrap it. I've gotten most of my business from people stopping me on my car.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Duluth, Car went up on craiglist 2 days ago. Guy needs it gone or city is taking it. :D

Nardo Grey is my favorite color as of late. I would consider wrapping mine, but I'm a car detailer and I put SO MUCH work into my 2004 paint (to demo my skills to customers), so I can't wrap it. I've gotten most of my business from people stopping me on my car.
I keep going back and forth between wrapping it or painting it. I love the color, it has so much depth I guess you would say. It's matte without being matte if that makes sense.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Dammnit, just bought PD150 injectors and an exhaust manifold.

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta big build ALH, NMS B7 15' Passat EA288
Pretty much my exact build.. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Keep it going!