What is VW fix for headliner issue

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They may have a sublet company come in and try and fix it, otherwise they'll just order a whole new headliner assembly. Comes in a giant box, and is a royal PITA to swap in sedans, usually have to remove the front seats.

jmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6MT

Added a photo for reference.....

Looks like the adhesive holding the clips to the headliner are faulty?????

I don't care how much of a PITA it is, I'm not the one doing it

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, you may not care, but you will after half your car has been torn apart by a tech not making any money to fix it and breaks 15 other things in the process. :D

They may have a TSB about this, I'll try and check into that.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Just visited my dealership today on the headline. Because it wasn't cut properly at the factory they are going to replace it. It's a 2 day job because they do have to tear the entire interior out. Prior dealer just kept trying to reposition it so it stay up where they fix it and fall down elsewhere.

kungfujesus

TDI
2012 Jetta
I actually had the same problem when I picked my car up brand new. The headliner was cut too short and it was just hanging by the sunroof. They ordered a whole new headliner and had it done in 2 days and surprisingly it looked like it came from the factory.

rob6188

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Is this problem predominately on the sunroof models? I didn't get the sunroof and currently don't have any problems.

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
I am having to have my headliner replaced next week because they say it is too short to hold the front pillars properly. I dread them crawling all over the insde of our car and I'm guna have to really hawk it out and then have my wife do it as well. They tell me it's an 8hr job and I'm waiting for an appointment where they can give me a loaner. Sevice is trying to get me an 09 Tiggy off the pr-owned lot to drive for a couple of days while they have it.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
When I took mine in for this issue, they removed the headliner, applied new adhesive to the clips and reinstalled it. They turned 1 rattle into 3, and installed some lovely grease fingerprints on the headliner and pillars.....Maybe they are just replacing them now..

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
When I took mine in for this issue, they removed the headliner, applied new adhesive to the clips and reinstalled it. They turned 1 rattle into 3, and installed some lovely grease fingerprints on the headliner and pillars.....Maybe they are just replacing them now..
I had those lovely hand prints on my headliner too. They now say it's not "cut properly" and must be replaced.

eric-satx

TDI
2006 MKV x2
Just as a frame of reference...

I had my 2006 headliner redone at a shop who specializes in them.
$225 out the door. And it reminded me of what customer service (i.e. people who want my business) is like.

Thought I would throw that out there since I was reading about some dealer $$ that were out of this world.

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
Just dropped mine off yesterday for a new headliner because they say it is too short at front pillars. I cried for a loaner a couple of weeks ago for it because I didnt want my wife following me in the Suburban 75 miles each way for a waranty issue. They said no at first cuz they didnt have any so I said Id take one off the pre-loved lot like that 09 tiggy over there. It ended up getting sold and they gave me a white gold 2012 Tiguan 4motion SE with 90 miles on it.....damn it is sweet. They can take thier time---mike

Last edited:

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
Wife went to pick up car saturday and of course...greasy handprints on the new cornsilk headliner and dirt all over the back seats. Swapped out the Tiggy(awesome) for a 2012 beetle 2.5(horrible) and will go back today(wed) because its when we have time. ---Mike