STP Diesel Treatment & injector cleaner

Luis

Veteran Member
Hi guys! I was out of the air for a while, been terribly busy.

I filled up the tank yesterday and poured a little bottle of the light blue STP. Car runs a little bit quiter but that's about it.

Is this a good product for cleaning them injectors? Or is its prime qualification that of anti-gelling our precious diesel during winter?

I also changed the air filter, which at 7500 miles looked like sh*t. Tons of beach sand had accumulated in the air box. Had to plug the air intake with a newspaper puff and use my mom's hair dryer to blow everything clean!

BTW, i used Armor All's cleaner to restore my engine to "foundry" conditions...It really cleans everything given your engine is not a messy oil-dirt-grease contraption.

Well, so long and if you have any comments on STP's treatment let me know.

Bye!
Luis

M

mickey

In general I'm not impressed with STPs products. Their gas additives contain alcohol. I'm not sure about their diesel addtives, but I think you'd do better to find some Power Services, Chevron, Amsoil, or any number of other diesel additives. I don't know what you've got to choose from in Mexico, though.

-mickey

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
What do you guys (and girls!) recommend for a fuel additive? I'm close to 15,000 miles and realized I never used an additive. Do you think I harmed my engine already?
At cold start-up a big cloud of smoke comes out of the tail pipe.

Also with an additive, is one bottle for EVERY fill up, or just now and then?

------------------
Jenni
2000 Golf GLS TDI, my baby, Putt Putt
debadged

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Jenni:

I work at the local Speedway here in the Midwest and we received a bunch of STP products for samples. Nobody wanted/needed the STP diesel additive, so I took them all!!! I have had no problems with the additive. I do think, too, it runs quieter, but my engine is pretty new and it's hard to say if it helps mileage, or whatever else. I am going to buy some Amsoil fuel conditioners for the winter and some cetane boost just to see how much it helps. But I have to think that if you run premium diesel all the time, the the additives wouldn't need to be put in the tank at every fill-up... Others might think differently, but my Uncle works on some large ocean-going ships and he says the additives don't make too much of a difference with each fill up, except angi-gel additives in the winter... it must depend on your area's quality disel availibility... later.

Mike

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
I used the STP additive when I first got my TDI a few months ago. It was the only diesel additive I could find at my local chain auto parts store. I think it says something like "treats 30 gallons" so I used half the bottle at one fillup and half at the next.

Now I use the old STP bottle to carry a measured amount of Power Service (which I finally found in a big bottle at a truck stop) for each fillup. I almost always take 12-13 gallons of diesel during a fill, so I take a shade over 4 ozs. of Power Service with me, which is the recommended proportion for that brand of additive. How do I know I'm getting 4 ozs? I have an old plastic photo darkroom graduate in the garage that I measure the Power Service into before transfering into the STP bottle.

This all takes longer to type and read than to actually do. It's so easy and routine that there's nothing to it.

Don't be afraid to use additives. Don't think it's "Yet another one of those extra things you've got to do to be a diesel owner." It is no big deal, it's cheap and from what I've read here will pay off in the long run.

Anthony

otto888man

Luis,

I have tried the STP for my diesel p/up it really works. But it will also depends if you have clean injectors you will not notice much improvement. Its like cleaning something when its already clean what else to clean. I like STP products they are good price but not cheap quality, very reasonable. I also tried their STP gas treatment, great product. If you also have a dirty engine, you can use STP engine flush. One of my colleague has a ticking problem on his Acura Legend i suggested to use the engine flush, he said after using the flush ticking has disappeared and he can feel more power and better response from the engine. He has 270,000 km on the engine, still original engine. My friend also has this ticking problem 91 Mazda MPV, he used this engine flush, ticking gone and better engine response. I hope this helps.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
I'm also not too fond of STP, but Chevron's Dieselmotive, and Power Service's Diesel Kleen in the Silver bottle are good products which CLEAN well. Others are just maintenance type additives, but these two perform very well for major cleaning of the fuel system.

Diesel Kleen Performance Improver - Silver Bottle

This concentrated performance improver is formulated for the diesel-engine operator who demands maximum year-around performance. http://www.powerservice.com/docs/dk_n.html

Diesel Kleen upgrades any No. 2 diesel fuel to premium fuel quality. It cleans fuel injectors, increases power, reduces exhaust smoke and improves fuel mileage more than enough to pay for the fuel treatment. As it improves engine performance, it also reduces maintenance costs by lubricating and protecting the fuel-injection system.

* Cleans injectors -- meets Cummins L-10 Cleanup Specifications.

* Meets lubricity requirements for all diesel fuel-injection systems, which reduce injection pump and injector wear.

* Keeps injection systems in peak condition -- reduces carbon and soot formation, extends engine life.

* Reduces emissions and black exhaust smoke
Increases power -- reduces need for downshifting.

* Decreases fuel consumption --- fuel savings exceed cost of additive

* Contains cetane improver for smoother engine operation.

* Corrosion inhibitor exceeds Cummins N-14 Specifications.

* Prevents thermal instability -- reduces sludge formation that plugs fuel-filters and injectors.

* Stabilizes stored fuel --- protects against conditions that promote microbial growth.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/NonCGI/Forum5/HTML/001395.html