Are there some people from Alberta on this forum :)

Rayovac

TDI
2003 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon
Transmission replacement?

While I was on a road trip to Vancouver, I took my Golf into a shop to check on what I thought was a failing wheel bearing. Turns out to be the differential packing it in. :eek:
Recommendation is to put in a new/used transmission. Anybody have experience doing that? Reading through some of the threads, it looks like a fairly straight-forward DIY, but I've never tackled something this big. I'll have to get an engine support and transmission jack amongst other tools.

Any tips or gotchas?

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
I have two 03 golf's and my "newer" one is experiencing this issue. My "old" car did it at 323 000km and I found a used transmission at a wrecker with 150k km. I've put 150k km on that used one and no issues thus far. Beer and a spare hand is what I paid my mechanic to do it. 480k km and still rolling.

Now the 03 with only 150k km on the clock is making the same noise. Time to start calling wreckers.

Ackilys

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
‘09 Jetta dsg, ‘11 jetta 6spd, ‘13 passat dsg
So if anyone out here can help me out thatd be super cool. My passenger side mirror, just the glass, fell off like two weeks ago now so now i have to pick up either a new glass or the heating pad with the glass on it and i need a new control switch (turn signal stalk) with cruise, only the on and off button, because i have a mfsw.

If no ones got em or knows where i can pick em up cheap, ill just wait til i fly back to ontario during some time off to pick up the stuff in toronto. id rather no lug around car parts when flying though, especially the mirror >.<

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Other than the local dealers, I don't know who to refer you to.

That said, why do you need the new turn signal stalk?

Ackilys

TDI
cruise doesnt work and it causes the relay to randomly go off cause the contacts are dirty. I tried taking it apart and cleaning it but apparently it didnt fix either the clicking or the cruise, tried disconnecting the brake sensor (mind you i didnt have vcds to check that it worked properly) but as far as i could tell it didnt work either. Checked the fuses and still nothing.

I suppose it could still be a faulty brake switch, but im leaning more towards it being the stalk.

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Ah, I had issues with my stalk -- the turn signal was behaving strange -- on my Mk4.

Flushed it with rubbing alcohol while working the stalk and it has been all better since.

I've got VCDS if you're wanting to do any diags this weekend...

Ackilys

TDI
Yeah we tried cleaning it with electronic cleaner and thought it worked, but it was no dice.

So long as you are close by thatd be super helpful! :) Pm me your deets

sportsmartcar

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta sedan - 5sp - red, 2000 Jetta sedan, automatic -blue (sold) 2001 Jetta TDI 5sp -white 2000 Jetta 2.0 gasser automatic - black (used to rack up the miles for work)
Calgary, Bassano, Medicine Hat corridor. I have vcds, and the alternator pulley tools. Who has vag tacho around me? I'm looking to get another key as well.

Debbie

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Yeah we tried cleaning it with electronic cleaner and thought it worked, but it was no dice.

So long as you are close by thatd be super helpful! :) Pm me your deets
Just replace the stalk, super easy, about a half hour job. Might as well replace the other (wiper) stalk while you're in there.

The part that takes the longest is activating the clips to disengage the air bag from the steering wheel. Once you figure those clips out, the next time is super easy.

Oh and don't buy a cheap chinese replacement. I made this mistake and the clicking came back within months. OEM replacement stalk, 5 years, no issues.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Any good places in Calgary that know what they are doing on VW TDI's and you get honest work done, from a honest shop?

Darren Kohls

TDI
2005 Passat BHW GLS sedan
Hello Friends, Darren Kohls here from Medicine Hat. I am a Newbie as far as the TDI Club goes. I am looking for advice as far as deleting the ASV butterfly throttle body on my 05 Passat BHW 5 speed FHN conversion sedan. It has a TD Tuning tune done by the PO who also did the conversion and I see the EGR connector is currently disconnected and there are no codes, this of course is part of the TD Tuning no doubt. Unfortunately when I bought the car a short while ago the previous owner would not part with his OBD tuner box thingie that he used in cooperation with TD Tuning to get everything to work with the 5 speed conversion. It supposedly has a bit of a power tune done at the same time.

So I am also setting up to mechanically delete the egr and cooler and most likely remove the Cat Convertor. There seems to be a definite lack of VW support for me in the Hat. I have been on the sidelines watching tdi Club for a few months now and am now just jumping in as a Newbie. I did a post earlier today in the B5.5 Section where I am asking for this same advice and more if you guys wanna look it up. Sorry I am just learning how to navigate the tdi Club-not to Schmart 'bout this forum navigating and communicating!

I am wondering if I can add my cell phone no to my profile? I do believe I seen some members who have that? Call/text on my phone is ok in addition to using the forum here. (403)502-1901

davedeisel

TDI
b5 passat
Hello all not new to forum but new to posting, north of Edmonton so always looking for tdi enthusiest's . I have an 05 Passat with about 350 k and starting to think about doing own mech .

Runestone

TDI
'02 Jetta
Here from Sylvan Lake. Just bought a 2002 jetta TDI 2 weeks ago. Always wanted one. Have a KII-USB, will work for up to 2005 A4, B4 and 2007 touareg.

Rayovac

TDI
2003 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon
Edmonton area folks, does anyone have a dial indicator suitable for measuring piston protusion I might be able to borrow? My ALH blew a timing belt and I need to see if there was any damage to the bottom end of the engine. If there is, it might be the end of my TDI adventure.

BaggedGLI

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Colin here, from Calgary. I am the front counter guy at Calgary Autoworks and we just recently became a Malone Tuning Dealer. I've been a part of the Euro car community in Calgary for a number of years and always try and help out where I can. If you have any questions, I'll be lurking around here more often but feel free to give me a call at the shop too!

Been driving and will soon be much further modifying my girlfriends 2010 TDI.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Hey all, I'm in Airdrie. I've got a VCDS and I can hack your cluster for you/extract skc's on 2005 and older cars. I've also got the timing belt tools for PD's, will help out too if you need.

One thing I don't have is a dial bore gauge, anyone got one I can borrow? Just pulled an engine from pick n pull and I'll be taking the head off soon and need to measure the bores.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Good t see another AB guy

I don't have the tool, but a local club Eurodrivers.ca forum someone might....I'm a moderator there and would love to see more TDI guys out.

kayn1n3

TDI
2014 Jetta
First post. If this necro-post is out of line my apologies.

Bought a '14 Jetta TDI with the DSG in June of this year. Located in Westlock County. I LOVE it. You could not pry it out of my hands.

I had no idea there were forums dedicated to the TDI. Going to be doing a ton of reading here because Norden keeps emailing me that the Gen 1 emissions update has not been done on my car yet. After some light reading it appears that I may not want to get it done yet.

martiniwg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M - 2015 Golf 6M
Hi kayn1n3,

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying your new car!
Lot's of reading about it indeed.

Cheers!

Jamielewis

TDI
2006 vw jetta tdi
Edmonton here! Old thread but if anyone is looking I have all the tools to do the timing belt on a 2006 vw jetta tdi brm. As well as the cam. I also have vcds if you need.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I am just getting my shop set up in Lethbridge. Hoist and compressor are up and running, heat is on and parts organization is well under way. VCDS is always on and ready to use.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Alchemist. What's your address for your shop in Lethbridge? I might just drop in sometime.

I live between The Hat and Lethbridge (Hays). For us it's about an hour either way. I also have a VCDS.

Last edited:

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Calgary here. Got an engine light for engine misfire whatever that is about. Can anybody do a VCDS read? Thanks. Will have to get that fixed before they do the fix for me. Or maybe I will turn it in. 155k kms.

Just saw the link to eurodrivers.ca so now will look for the March get-together.