P2209 Code NOx sensor

PacoTDI

TDI
Passat TDI 2013 SE
Hi iam new on this forum. Just got a NOx sensor code on my 0BD2. NOx sensor Heater Sense circuit Range/Performance Bank1...Was wondering where the NOx sensor was located on my Passat 2013 SE:confused:

As anyone ever tried to clean the sensor before changing the entire module that sales at arround 500$:eek:

Thanks

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Bank 1 I assume would be before the SCR, someone else can confirm. You can try cleaning it, do a search and decide for yourself which method you prefer. If the heater failed or if the zirconia cracked, then I hope you're at 36,000 miles or less.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Does Canada have an emissions warranty? USA is 80,000 miles.

Donald

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The emissions warranty in the US doesn't cover NOx sensors. It's possible that it will be covered under good faith, but not required. Given the price of the repair, it would be nice if it was under the emissions warranty.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Need to be careful when the sub-code is "range/performance". That can mean something is genuinely not working correctly to reduce NOx in your case and the sensor is picking that up. Could be EGR incorrect flow due to a variety of reasons (though typically it would set a code for EGR insufficient flow directly), could be the SCR cat has a problem, could be you're getting incorrect amount of diesel exhaust fluid to properly reduce NOx because either there is a leak or excess crystalization somewhere in the system preventing the appropriate amount of DEF to be dosed into the exhaust. Or maybe the DEF pump isn't pumping adequately.

Could even be that someone put in something other than DEF or a poor quality aftermarket DEF in the car.

Last edited: