Jetta Driver's Door Lock Problem

TheKid7

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Sedan
2003 Jetta TDI - For about the last year I have been periodically having door lock problems with the driver's door. The problem has been getting worse recently.

Problem: The Remote sometimes does not unlock/lock the driver's door. The other door locks work fine. The key always works. This problem is not related to the Remote's battery. Also, there is the same problem when using the lock/unlock switch in the car and the auto lock when the car accelerates to the preset speed. Starting a few days ago this problem is almost continuous.

What is causing this problem and how can I fix it?

Thank you.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
On A4s there are 2 micro switches inside the drivers door latch mechanism that wear out over time and cause the symptoms you describe.

There is a thread, either here or on VWVORTEX, were someone had taken the latch mechanism apart and replaced the switches for cheap. Otherwise, the latch mechanism is available at the dealers or from a vendor. For my 99 A4, it was about $ 185 if I remember correctly.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
V4NS-UL switch from allied electronics is supposed to be the exact replacement switch. (Got this from some other thread, possibly from VWVortex).

DannyRay

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
yeah, had to have my mechanism replaced on my 02 so I have turned off the auto-lock with VAGCOM so it doesn't keep wearing out. If it was just my wife driving the car I probably would have kept the feature, but I figure I can lock the doors while I am driving if I need to. I also turned off that annoying audio warning when the windshield fluid runs out (true emergency). I just bent over and had the dealer fix it. Good luck.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Um, Danny, you do realize that turning off the autolock will not resolve the microswitch problem right?

That microswitch just senses if the door is closed or not....

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
puter said:
Um, Danny, you do realize that turning off the autolock will not resolve the microswitch problem right?

That micro switch just senses if the door is closed or not....
Very true statement. However, if you disable auto lock, the system will lock the system a lot less causing the micro-switches to last longer...................I may go and disable the auto lock on my A5 for the same reason..............:cool:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Ol'Rattler said:
Very true statement. However, if you disable auto lock, the system will lock the system a lot less causing the micro-switches to last longer...................I may go and disable the auto lock on my A5 for the same reason..............:cool:
The switches 'wear' out from the door being open and closed. Not from the doors being locked.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
NB_TDi said:
The switches 'wear' out from the door being open and closed. Not from the doors being locked.
Exactly.

I think he believes that the microswitch determines if the door is locked, but that is the job of several other microswitches within the locking mechanism itself...and those don't tend to wear out.

Danny:: take your door apart one more time and take a look, you will see that the only time that microswitch is triggered is when the door is opened or closed, locking it does not change the state of the microswitch at all. Turning off autolock is pointless if the goal is to make that switch last longer.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Powder Hound said:
V4NS-UL switch from allied electronics is supposed to be the exact replacement switch. (Got this from some other thread, possibly from VWVortex).
Do you have the link to the thread? I am having the same problem, driver door when open doesn't turn on the cabin lights or register on the dash that the door is open.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Hey john,I have a dismantled door lock assembly if you want you can have a switch from it

GeofH

Florida's Treasure Coast: Tradition, Port St Lucie
TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta
Here I am at the dealership. The replacement lock assembly is over $185. With labor, the cost shoots to over $400! Reading this, it is only a switch? I will go to an independent mechanic with this information and see if the passenger rear door lock can be fixed. If it is as simple as using the key-like the old days, that will work for me until I can get the door secured. Thanks for the posts!