TDI started won't crank

Czimmerman1991

TDI
2006 Beetle
TDI starter won't crank

I have a 2006 VW Beetle TDI that will not start. The weather in indiana have been in the negatives. The car was cranking and it was very weak. I went and got the battery and it was bad so I replaced in and put a new battery in it. The new battery got installed and the car cranked and tried to start and the made a beeping sound from the dash. Now I turn the keys and all the lights come come on but when I turn the key nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated I am new to the tdi world.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Seems some vehicles have an audio signal that comes on after long continuous cranking without the engine starting.

I'd check the battery terminals to make sure there is good contact. Obviously by now the battery needs a charge to bring it back up to power.

Of course, there's always the possibly the Starter has given up the ghost.

For what it is worth, I've used a hair dryer to blow hot air into the Intake while cranking the engine. But, that was years ago on the old MK1 VW diesels that had the filter intake snorkel located front and center.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
make sure that the connections are tight and that all cables are hooked up right. Other than that it should not be an issue. do you have a volt meter?

Czimmerman1991

TDI
2006 Beetle
I tried jumping the car and it did nothing. I have had starters go out before and this starter did none of those things. I do have a volt meter. Do I need to disconnect the battery, wait and hook it back up to reset something? I didn't crank on it for long at all so I feel like the starter shouldn't of gone out.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Czimmerman1991, there is nothing to "reset" to allow the Starter to operate when you turn the Ignition to Start.

Okay, just a couple of weeks ago, I purchased a nice Hard Back Bentley that covers your model. I've never looked at the Electrical Schematics of any TDI after the ALH engine.

So, what I am seeing, from the solenoid back >>> the current comes from a Power Supply Relay (J682) (#443 in the panel), ..........

Right now, it looks like Relay #443 get's it's cue from the Vehicle Electrical System Control Module (J519).

I'm having a hard time finding the Ignition schematic ....

I'll post more when I find it..

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Last year one of mine burnt the cable end off at the starter. It gave one grunt and then nothing. All the lights came on normally, just no click or engagement of the starter. It's fairly common as corrosion and age takes its toll. Then when you go to start and pull a heavier amp load than usual it lets go.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, all these Electrical Schematic terms are not going to mean much to the OP (or me).

But, it looks like the Ignition Switch (D) is part of the Steering Column Electronic Systems Control Module. That module is connected to the Vehicle Electrical Control Module via several small circuits (0.35 size) which has a 6.0 gauge wire for power. The next size down wire coming off the VECM is a 2.0 which goes to Relay 443 then on to the Solenoid ....... nothing is fused in that circuit. The activation circuit for Relay 443 is a 0.5 wire with no Fuse on the ground side and the power comes out of the VECM with no Fuse.

So, if the VECM had no power there would be lots of other things not working, in my opinion.

So, unless there is a corrosion or bad connection issue at the battery, starter, etc., the only thing, besides a bad Ignition, it looks to be that power relay, 443 may be culprit. However, if you remove the Solenoid wire and get 12 or more volts with the Ignition in Start Position, it would seem that the relay is fine. Don't check voltage with it connected to the Solenoid.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It could also be that the ignition switch itself gets persnickety when the temperatures drop below, oh, say, -5*F. As they get old and more used, particularly if there are multiple keys hanging from the key fob at all times, the switches can wear and become intermittent.

Question: if you turn the key to start, and the move the key around while it is turned, does the starter suddenly work in some positions?

PH

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Check the trigger wire on the back of the starter for 12v when key is in 'crank' position. If a signal there, and power to the big terminal, your starter is bad. Its most likely the starter burned out.

Czimmerman1991

TDI
2006 Beetle
Powder hound, the only have 2 other keys on my fob. I tried wiggling the key when I was trying to get it to start but had no luck. I put an exide 47-60 battery in the car I'm not sure what the amp hours is on it. I'm am starting to leat towards it is the starter but haven't had the chance to check the voltage going to it.