Make my TDI faster!

SanjMan

Main question: How can I make my TDI faster?

concers:
1) the 2002 tdi I have is on a lease
2) I am not willing to spend above $400 on one specific item

- a few minor mods to increase HP and main performace slightly is what I am really looking for

help if you can

-Sanj

Chasone

Veteran Member
TDI
2001, Golf, Red
The chip in your car is removed and reprogramed,your old program is saved on disk. When you turn the car in just have it removed.

Also the dealer has no real way of telling if the car has a chip or not. Just as long as the ECU looks clean.

Dealer is not going to be to concerned unless you have a major engine or turbo failure, at which point you could have the ECU put back to stock before going to dealer.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
You're offering to many limitations! Forget it. Your attitude isn't in it! Besides, why are you messing with a leased car? You'll find that the people in and around this site are very emotionally attatched to their cars. Virtually anything you do to the drive train and or engine will void your warrenty! Truthfully, it's up to the dealership to PROVE that what you did CAUSED the problem you are experiencing. BUT, they have way more recourses than the average joe. Plus they can be intimidating. You are better off leaving your car alone and enjoying the MPG benefit of the TDI. As you can see my car is very modified. AND I dont give a damn about the warrenty! If you wanted a MORE powerful car you should have gotten an 18MPG VR6!

TB

SanjMan

second question: if the car is on a four year lease...i can make modifications as long as they can be reversed at the end of 4 years (or whenever i want). that being said, would a tuning box for $400 (or whatever the cost is) be worth it? I've heard some pros and cons but would really like to hear from those that have used it or use it currently. also...i was discussing this with my friend and it has probably already been discussed numerous times, but for its simplicity here goes: should i replace the stock air filter with any other filter (K&N for example) or will i not see that big a difference in performance? thanks once again

-SanjMan

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Do the chip!

The tuning box is great as a supplement to the chip.

Why in the world did you lease a TDI? Throw in the towl do it all to the car drive the pi$$ out it and rack up the miles then buy it at the end of the lease

DB

SanjMan

Yes, leasing wasn't the greatest way to go for me because now i want to change the car in certain ways...but due to my age (17)..obviously my parents chose the most cost effective route. also, i figure that in 4 years i will no longer think the TDI is "cool" and therefore we will not buy out the lease (also due to lease-end cost). Maybe i should do something that will be worthwhile over the 4 year period...perhaps getting bigger tires and replacing the exisint 15'' ones. can anyone help me choose the correct larger tires for my car to increase performance but no sacrific winter driveability? also...ive heard that getting larger tires means you have to reset the speedometer (or something like that). i would like to learn more about new tire cost and the steps that i would need to take for the upgrade. thanks

-sanjman

ghostTDI

SanJMan-

For rideability I would stick with the 15" wheels. Tires and wheel cost adds up real quick! Low profile tires cost a lot more money than your normal Touring tire and they last a fraction of the amount of time. You are more susceptible to wheel damage with low profiles, as well as a rougher ride. but at the same time you are 17 and ride quality isn't typically high on the list of younger kids. TDi's are meant for long term ownership, ie 200-300+ miles. Once you break it in and it gets nice and comfortable, who really wants to give it up. Oh, and when does running all over 4 cyl gassers and give 6 cyl gassers and hard time in a diesel ever get old or uncool?

I understand that you are young, but TDi's are just always going to be cool in my book. The wife and I would really like to get a 2.5L Passat Wagon imported, but we are not sure if that can be done.

Just enjoy the car. Drive the snot out of it, try not to break it and if it turns out you don't like it give it back after 4 yrs and get something new. But hey, if it really grows on you and you decide you can't part with what I assume is your first car, you then have free reign of doing what ever your pocket book wills.

You can never replace the FIRST car! I know I haven't been able to.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SanjMan:
thanks for the advice -tadc-, but like i said...i don't want to void any warranty and plus the car is on lease<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't say anything about not wanting to void the warranty.

My car is also a lease, has an upsolute chip and has been to the stealer several times for warranty work. They haven't noticed.

Chip costs about the same as a box, gives more power and is smoother.

Aftermarket filter is a good idea from a cost perspective (it's reuseable so will cost less in the long run than throwaway stock filters) but you probably won't notice any performance difference. Also the filter oil has been known to foul the MAF (airflow sensor).

Just curious, was the TDI your idea or the parents?

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: tadc ]

SanjMan

After some thought, i've decided that I will screw the idea of messing with the car. I simply wanted to tune my car a little so that I would not get my ass whooped by my friend and his stock wolfsburg but i doubt that i will be able to accomplish this goal...thanks everyone for their help anyways...i guess ill just drive the crap out of my car until the end of the lease

-sanjman

SanjMan

$250 sounds like a good price but can you tell me where i would find the tuning box on that site? im having difficulty finding it? will the tuning box save me from getting my ass whooped against my friends stock wolfsburg?

Getta_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002Getta, GLS, Galactic blue
go upsolute chip 375.00 istalled and vertually indetectible by the dealer the only way tht there gonna find out is if they look at your chip box or if they take for drive and they own a stock one and get jellous
trust me you'll smoke that 1.8 off the line till about 45 mph then you'll be reading his plates sorry

SanjMan

damn that's nice...will a tuning box allow me to do this? i would like to go with the box because it's just more convenient to get and put on...also...are there any other mods such as these filters that ive seen people list etc...such that will help me stay with the wolfsburg for a longer period of time...once we get to about 105-110...i dont really care because i dont intend to go any faster