ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
2002 ALH TDI engine transplant into an '84 Vanagon, non-Westy!

Notice > The link below will take you to Page 45, then scroll down to Post #1328. There you will find links to all the major stuff throughout this Thread. I tried to make it as simple as possible. I may have overlooked something... sorry if I did.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=89

Note: An asterisk by a red edit (*EDIT) is an indication the info has been reviewed and updated particularly if it references to a Page and Post number.

Everything has been updated as of February 11, 2023

Note to self, all pages have been reviewed/edited and updated as of 2/18/2021, 5/17/21, 10/29/21, 12/14/22 and 2/11/23

Okay guys, followers, dudes, etc., I've finally got to where my project is beginning to move.

First, I want to provide a little background about my thoughts on doing an engine transplant. I had the thought over 25 years ago. In 1984, my wife and I set our sights on doing a trip to Alaska. I commenced looking for a Bay bus to make the trip. However, to me those old VW Vans were so under powered it was pathetic. So, my thought was to do an engine upgrade. I did not have a clue what would work or where to start.

Anyway, while looking and shopping around for a Bay, I stumbled onto an '83 non-Westy 2.0 Vanagon, last of the Air-cooled, with only 49k miles on it (a bit better than the Bay with respect to power)! In April of 1985, I purchased it and in June of '86 we headed north to Alaska on a 28 day trip. At the time, I would never have dreamed I'd go back 6 more times over the next 18 years (1986-2003 the year of the last trip) in the same Vanagon. Wow!

So, from those early days until now, an engine upgrade had been on my mind. However, I did not have the time or know where to start. The idea and thoughts stayed on back burner until 2006. At that time, I was planning for retirement in '08. I began to see that my dream project could possibly begin to happen!

In late summer of '07, I purchased the '84 Wasser Boxer Vanagon. Over the next several months, I did a lot of research and purchased pieces parts here and there. I ran into some road blocks. Some of those road blocks turned out to be beneficial, in that they caused me to look in another direction to accomplish a task. And, of course, there were times I had to put the project on back burner. I have made a few mistakes along the way. I've met a lot of good folks here as well as over at the Samba trying to do similar projects.

So, with this Thread, I, like a few others, would like to document the Conversion as it progresses. I've already posted a few photos, etc., in a few other Threads. I may post some of those same photos again here.

At some point I will acknowledge all those who have contributed to the project one way or another.

I may add posts from time-to-time to explain or bring the project up-to-date.

Engine background: It is from a 2002 Jetta (MrGutWrench's wreck, sorry) with the complete wiring harness, including ignition and valet key, as well as all the other necessary items to bring the Vanagon into the 21st century, if that's possible!

Transmission background: It is out of an '80 (born date: 11/28/79) with the DK code having the 4.57 Ring & Pinion. I rebuilt it myself, adding a .77 4th and a 1.14 3rd. I'm using a bell housing from an '83 Diesel transmission! (engine will lay over on a 50 degree angle).

Note: since 2020, I've been putting together all the necessary pieces parts to build an new DK transmission. It will have the Weddle 413:1 Ring & Pinion as well as upgraded 3rd/4th gear Hub, 121:1 3rd gear and 0.77:1 4th gear. Also, I am working on an oil filtering and cooling system. That is the primary reason it has taken so long to finish the work. The end cost is estimated to be $3500.00 (all labor by me) << these comments were added 12/2/2023.

This photo is of the Diesel bell housing and 1.6 diesel oil pan (two views) <<< back in 2010, I was just learning ... Wow!

This photo is of the Diesel bell housing and 1.9 oil pan unmodified (three views)

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I'm glad to see this project/conversion here on the forum. I have an 83' Aircooled vanagon and will be putting an ALH into it, basically following your example here. My project probably won't happen for a few years, but I plan on it being our family vehicle.

One strong recommendation I have is instead of using the Ignition switch, key, and instrument cluster from the donor car, send the ECU out and have the immobilizer deleted from the software(I assume that's why you have the ignition switch and key from the 2002 Jetta) . That's what I did with my Audi. It makes it very simple to wire up and get running with just a couple of signal wires from the stock Vanagon's (in my case Audi) ignition switch. I sent mine out to vwmikel (tdtuning.com), but about any tuner should be able to do this. You've probably already thought of this as I've seen you have done a lot of research on this project.

Jon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, Jon, since I have the Ignition & Key, I decided to go with the "two" key system.

Go over to theSamba.com and look at the "Stolen" vehicle list.......... amazing! So, this will provide extra theft protection!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my opinion, any engine conversion in a VW Bus/Vanagon should not be started without considering the status and gearing of the transmission.

I got my rebuild kit and gears from Weddle Industries ... Steve Jones was the contact!

*EDIT: As of 2/18/2021, I am in the process of building a new DK transmission with a 4.13 R&P, .77 4th, rare OE 1.25 3rd with medium coarse teeth, upgraded 3-4 Synchro Assembly, all new bearings, new 1st -2nd and 3rd - 4th shift forks and an "internal" oiling/cooling system. I do plan to post pics. At this point, I have over $2500 in parts alone in this build.

The DK below has almost 89k miles on it. The pinion has a worn tooth which I actually drove to Alaska in 2016 and on until this day. But, before it self-destructs, I must replace it.

091 Tranny DK code (4.57 R&P), Gear carrier housing with new .77 4th and 1.14 3rd. I picked up the tranny for $95.00. It had a broken syncro ring at 4th gear, badly worn 3rd/4th shifting fork and chipped reverse sliding gear.

Another view of the Gear Carrier and gears. Notice the gear slector rods at the end of the carrier (second photo down). They are slotted for the shifting levers. In the photo below, the rod going across the top is for the reverse shifter. Follow it over and down, notice that reverse gear is not installed yet. It is installed as the Gear Carrier is lowered into the tranny case .... black tape works well to hold it in place. The tape is fairly easy to fish out. The gear on the bottom shaft closest to the pinion gear is 1st and to the left is the 40 tooth reverse gear and then 2nd gear is next. You can see the new 1.14 3rd on to the left and 4th is barely visible. The reverse sliding gear must be set when it is in neutral to clear both 2nd gear and the 40 tooth reverse gear (minimum distance of .020 inch to 2nd gear, touchy touchy!)

This is a view from the shifter end of the Gear Carrier. Notice the three shifting rods (1st & 2nd, 3rd & 4th, and reverse). The top rod is obviously bent a little. That rod shifts 3rd and 4th. The outward bend was probably due to the driver(s) trying to hold the shifter in 4th gear .. thus the badly worn shifter fork and broken syncro ring!

Here is the "pile" of tranny pieces parts. No, the coaster wheels do not go inside! Notice the two pilot shafts. The one on the right is from a Diesel tranny... it is shorter by about 11mm. The white plastic container is a meat tray from the supermarket. It cleans up nice and makes for a very good peices parts holder!(recyling at it's best, another use for an item). And, you can see a paper carton from bottle water or soft drink case to the left with parts in it....... and newspaper on the floor!

This photo is with the gear carrier housing and gearshift housing installed as well as the R&P and pilot shaft (from Diesel tranny). Scroll the photo to the left and you will see the gear slector at the extreme right ..... notice, this one is from an Air Cooled model, the shifter lever is in a different location than the 1984 and newer trannys

This photo is looking directly into the end of the tranny without the Ring Gear in place.

The new 4th and 3rd gears can be seen in the foreground. Looking at the right shaft of gears, going back/down, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, reverse and 1st gears in that order.

Another view from a different angle. Also, you can see the old 4th and 3rd gears in the foreground. In back view, from left to right is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. The smaller gear that matches Reverse is not in this photo.

This is a close-up of the smaller match to the Reverse gear. This is a NEW gear which is part of the upgrade/rebuild.

This is an out of focus close-up of the Reverse Gear on the idler shaft....the above gear can be seen on the end of the shaft. The gear on the other end can be seen inside the tranny case in the photo above looking into the end of the tranny without the Ring Gear.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is a graph prepared in Excel to show the "expected" RPMs and MPH of each gear when shifting. The graph shows that each gear is taken to a slightly higher RPM. An allowance for MPH drop when shifting can also be seen. Since a Vanagon was never designed for speed, I based my desires on 65 MPH cruising speed at roughly 2850 RPMs. This is accomplished using 205/75/15 tires that rotate approximately 744 revolutions in one mile! The same tires on 14 inch rims will raise the RPMs to about 2950 at 65 MPH.

EDIT: I'm presently (2/1/13) running 215/75/15 tires which rotate approximately 728 revolutions in one mile. Based on GPS for speed and ScanGauge for RPMs, at 65 mph, the engine is rotating at approximately 2840 rpms.

This graph and some of the tranny photos are also posted in Paul Manning's Microbus Thread in this Forum.

I'll add photos and comments as the project progresses!

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked out the samba, that's crazy. I don't think too much about theft here, looks like I may start thinking about it. I like the dual key setup now :). Would it be possible to shorten a gas input shaft to the shorter length? Are the splines in the same location and the pilot portion of the gasser's input shaft just longer? Sorry just one more question (for now :) ). Where on the 091 trans is the tranny code located? I would like to know if my 83' has the 4.57 R&P (probably not).

Edit: thanks for the added info on post #4. Mine is indeed the DK code trans woo hoo.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Answers

jjordan11 said:
I checked out the samba, that's crazy. I don't think too much about theft here, looks like I may start thinking about it. I like the dual key setup now :). Would it be possible to shorten a gas transaxle to the shorter length? Are the splines in the same location and the pilot portion of the gasser's input shaft just longer? Sorry just one more question (for now :) ). Where on the 091 trans is the tranny code located? I would like to know if my 83' has the 4.57 R&P (probably not).
Yep, there are folks that want these vintage VWs (probably to re-sell).

The Gasser Pilot shaft (input shaft) can be cut off at the end (pilot bearing end). The splines are the same!

The Tranny code is on the bottom of the tranny (stamped), as well as the manufacture date. It's on right side adjacent to the axle stub (same side as the shifter lever).

If your gasser is an Air-cooled the Tranny will be 4.57 R&P ratio, unless a previous ower changed it out (whole tranny). For the most part, the innards of the AC trannys will not fit in the later models (I think some things will interchange with the diesel tranns).

I'll post a list of codes with corresponding R&P ratios!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Vanagon Tranny Codes to help with conversion decisions

Vanagon Gear Ratios! This should be helpful!:D Below this chart is info where to find the CODE on your tranny.

#28 there is mine ^^^^ Weddle now offers a 0.75 and 0.73 4th gear.

*EDIT: See edit in Post #4 for info about "building" a new DK transmission with a 4:13 R&P and other related upgrades.

Where to find the CODE on your tranny!:D

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
There is some really good information here Andy thank you very much. I'll definitely be following this thread closely.

Jon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
While my oil pan mods are being done, I've continued to finalize the wiring and associated notes & diagrams.

Also, I recently had the single mass 215mm flywheel re-surfaced that come with the 1.6 Diesel engine in Vanagons. TDIclub member RSXSR says he uses this very stock flywheel/clutch setup and it works fine in his Westy!

Here are photos of the flywheel. You can see that my fingers rubbed "dust" I never noticed when taking the photos.

*EDIT: Skip over to page 41, Post #917 and page 32, Post #937 to see narrative and pics about replacing this 215mm flywheel with a G60 228mm flywheel.

EDIT: Look toward the end of this Thread ... I have a new Luk DMF clutch kit. The Dual Mass Flywheel will be a good addition. It will be quiet and should last at least 200k miles trouble free... As of this date, 2/1/2017, I have the clutch kit. I just need to install it! It was installed sometime before July 1, 2017. I've not looked back as it is awesome!

Two additional views below!:D

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These are the Fuse Panels that I will be using. The panel on the left has 10 circuits that will be hot when the "TDI System" ignition is "on." I will use 9 of those circuits. The Fuse Panel on the right has room for 6 circuits of which I will use 3 of them. It will always be hot.

EDIT: April 12, 2012 - I did not use the fuse panel on the right! I used the fuse panel from the top of the TDI battery in place of the one there on the right in the photo below. The larger circuits from the battery top fuse panel were needed anyway. Info on the use of the fuse panel from the top of the battery can be seen on page 14, Post 397! EDIT: The Fuse panel on the right was not used.

This is the TDI Fuse Panel...... looks like a mess! I feel certain that my finished product will look much better all tucked under the back seat.

If you will look real close, near the center of those wires, you will see a large red wire with a lilac stripe up it and then to the left of it is a small blue wire ... Yep, that's a srew-up during assembly. The large blue wire to the right and behind the taped bundle was supposed to have been inserted in place of the smaller blue wire! Wow! IIRC, the large wire carries current to the ECU! These (blue wires) are "feeds" from the 109 Relay. This come out of MrGutWrench's car!.... luckily, no sign of overload!

Another view of the TDI Fuse Panel

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Power steering in the non-Westy '84, would you do it? I have the rack/pinion and of course there is a pump on the TDI engine!

So, anyone have thoughts on this?

*EDIT: Skip over to page 40, post #1183 for pics and info of the power steering install. I used the power steering pump as mounted on the ALH engine accessory bracket. I also used the Vanagon power steering pump reservoir.

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Andy, I know with my air-cooled 83' without power steering does just fine, little to no effort. Your 205 width tires are about 10mm wider than my current tires, but I wouldn't think that would cause much more steering effort. I'm sure you've thought of this too, but you'd also gain a little more efficiency too :).

With power steering it would eliminate any arm fatigue, I guess it would just depend on personal preference. I personally wouldn't have power steering in a non-westy van.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, That is your call. My 82 Diesel Westy came with manual steering. Even with the 16's the Vanagon is still easy to manuever. I like things simple. No power anything. If your vanagon is already fitted with power steering, it would make sense to connect to the TDI steering pump you have, but I would not go to the trouble to swap out a good manual rack and running hoses just because your engine already had the pump.

Wait till you see my upgraded hydraulic engine mounts. Hopefully will have them completed this weekend. It was a lot more work than I anticipated, but they are looking awsome. If they actually improve the resonance, it will be well worth the time. I tried to modify the existing diesel mount brackets, but ended up cutting them off of the carrier bars and fabricating from scratch. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I like things simple too! The manual rack and pinion on my Vanagon seem to be just fine. The previous owner replaced a good number of items on the Vanagon, including the rack boots. It had new rotors & pads on the front and new rear drums and shoes, as well as new inside axle boots. The dude was having issues with the fuel injection and just up and put the vehicle on Ebay. I got it for $630.00 and a long tow from Martinsburg, W.V. All it needed was an Ox sensor, temp sensor and a new T-stat. Runs fine, but the TDI engine will make it awesome.

Doka TDI

TDI
05 & 06
What do you need to do to get the ALH to work at 50 degrees? I thought they didn't work that way due to the oil pump needing to be submersed.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ALH oil pan and pickup tube for the oil pump

Doka TDI said:
What do you need to do to get the ALH to work at 50 degrees? I thought they didn't work that way due to the oil pump needing to be submersed.
The ALH engine will bolt right up to a 1.6 Diesel tranny which lays it over to the 50 degree angle.

Next, the oil pan and oil pickup tube/strainer have to be modified accordingly.

When I have the time, I'll post a photo of my oil pan. Basically, I cut the oil pan (ALH pan) off just below the mating flange leaving about 2 inches. Then, using 1/4 inch sheet aluminum, fabricated the ends, top and bottom to mimic the oil pan from a 1.6 diesel. Also, there needs to be a brace welded to the oil pan for exhaust support if you intend to go with the OEM configuration. And, of course there needs to be an oil drain hole and fill hole.

Hope this helps!

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, I uploaded some pictures of my upgraded carrier bars over at The Samba. I am definitely going to add a 3rd mount at the timing cover end of the engine to limit the up and down travel. Here is a shot of the ALH at 50 degrees for those that are watching your thread. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gees, your oil pan on the left side looks almost identical to mine. Unfortunately, as I was telling you in a PM, I caused my welder to goof. The right side of the new modified pan is too high ... the bottom is not parallel with the ground. So, I'll be getting it "re-modified" next week!

Yes, I saw the pics over at Samba... good job on the motor mounts!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wiring diagram

This is page 1 (left side) of the modified ALH wiring harness diagram. There are some of the components cut off on the right side.... sorry about that! This is on legal size paper prepared in Excel. Only a few wires are drawn in for illustrative purposes.

This is page 2 of the modified ALH wiring harness diagram. The fuses and connection points (connectors) are referenced per the Bentley Manual schematics. The numbers with circles are splices. This is a scanned legal sheet size for better observation. I have pages and pages of notes to backup the diagram. Notice I am using two aftermarket fuse panels. The circuits in the pass thru panel are only hot when the key is on. The other fuse panel is always hot. Notice, the fuses are numbered per the Bentley manual (same circuits).

This schematic will serve as a reference for any future mods, trouble shooting, etc.

Here is just a small indication of the detail for one simple but very important relay.

Relay 109 and associated Circuits (you will not find this info, as such, in the Bentley)
Located at Position 12 in the upper relay panel
Relay 109 is identified in the wiring schematics as J317, Power Supply is from Terminal B+ (hot at all times) with power activation to the ECU when the key is in the "ON" position.

Power Circuit to Relay 109
1. Power (6.0 size red wire) comes from Fuse S176 (110amps) at the plastic box on battery to Threaded Connection 500 at the relay plate -1- (30).
2. From the Relay Plate, at Connection 501 the power (6.0 size red wire) goes to Splice A32
3. From Splice A32, the power (4.0 size red wire) goes to Terminal 2/30 of Relay 109

Relay Circuit (activated when the Ignition is turned on)
1. Connection 9/85 goes to Blue Connector T10h/8 on to ECU at T121/18
Note: there is not a #2 in this series

Power Circuit away from Relay 109
1. Power away from Relay 109 is via 4.0 Blue Wire to Splice A71
2. At Splice A71, there are three circuit branches (A, B, & C, my terminology)
Circuit - A. 1.5 Wire goes to Fuse 34 (10 amp)
Circuit - B. 4.0 Wire goes to Fuse 32 (30 amp)
Circuit - C. 1.5 Wire goes to Fuse 43 (10 amp)

Circuit A (with two branches) ........ engine operation functions
From Fuse 34 goes to Splice 100, first branch provides power to: MAF (G70), Wastegate Bypass Regulator Valve (N75), EGR Vacuum Solenoid Valve (N18) and Change-over Valve for intake manifold flap (N239)
Note: tied to this same circuit, is another circuit that is a 1.0 size wire from connection 6/87 of the GP relay. The second branch, Splice 100 goes to the 14 Pin Connector at T14a/6 on to Cold Start Injector (N108)

Circuit B (with two branches)
From Fuse 32 goes to Splice B168, first branch (4.0 wire) goes to Brown Connector point T6/4 on to splice D74 and provides power to: ECU at T121/1 and T121/2 via the two branches at Splice D74. The second branch goes to the 10 pin connector at the Injection Pump (G149), connection T10f/5

Circuit C (with three branches)
From Fuse 43 goes to Splice A155, the first branch goes to Clutch Vacuum Vent Switch (F36). The second branch goes to Brown Connector at T6/6 with double wire of which one goes to a 53 Relay J359 for Low Heat Coolant GP and the other goes to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation Heating Element (N79). The third branch goes to the Brake Vacuum Vent Valve Switch (F47)

Note: The Splice numbers are in reference to the Bentley Manual wiring schematic terminology!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI cluster into the Vanagon cluster slot!

Preparing the TDI Cluster to install in the place of the Vanagon Cluster is the next aspect of the project.

Here is a photo of what the finished job will looks like. Photo was taken in 2014 while crossing Alberta, Canada on the way to Alaska.

*EDIT: Skip over to Page 6, beginning with Post # 154 and a lot more at #163 to see how I customized the Jetta Cluster to fit in the Vanagon Cluster Housing. There are lots of pics there.

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice picture, that looks very clean. Well all this talk about Vanagon diesels and I was forced to go do something I've wanted to for a while. Bought a 1982 Westy Diesel (converted to a jetta 1.8 gasser). I have an ahu that I'll be putting into it, I probably won't do a writeup on it though, but I'll ask some questions later :).

Jon

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
AndyBees said:
Preparing the TDI Cluster to install in the place of the Vanagon Cluster is the next aspect of the project.

Here is a photo of what the finished job will look like... from rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion. There is a pretty good write-up at TDI Conversion with about 27 photos. I plan to take pics of my Cluster Conversion as it unfolds.
Get yer dremel ready!!! That looks very finished. Kudos to rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion!

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, the picture of the modified vanagon cluster is sweet. What are you going to use for a speed reference? I went old school and am using the Vanagon cluster. I am sure you can come up with a speed reference signal to drive the speedo and input for the ECU, but just wonder what you had in mind. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Speed sensor

rsxsr said:
Andy, the picture of the modified vanagon cluster is sweet. What are you going to use for a speed reference? I went old school and am using the Vanagon cluster. I am sure you can come up with a speed reference signal to drive the speedo and input for the ECU, but just wonder what you had in mind. mark
I'm looking at two options with repect to speed reference. I have the VSS sensor (geared device that come out of the VW MK4 tranny). It is a two-piece device that can be broken down to a smaller more workable unit. Also, it appears that the Vanagon speed-O-cable can be used to turn it. One thing I've not been able to determine is the number of revolutions per mile for the MK4 VSS. The Vanagon speed-O-cable rotates about 800 revs per mile ... depending on tire size.

Secondly, I'm looking at the same method you used with your Conversion project. The junk yard run last weekend yielded a Vanagon speedometer that I thought to be already taken from the junker. Someone had removed it and placed it on the floor behind the middle seat.:confused:

I'm thinking, either approach will require the use of a Dakota Digital (universal signal interface unit) to fine tune the final signal.

The Dakota Digital (model SGi-5) is priced at $79.95.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, My VSS speed sensor on the back of my stock vanagon is suitable for a speed reference for the ecu and cruise control, but is about 30 mph off in the VAG COM. The engine actually ran better without the speed reference to the ECU. Once I added the sensor, the engine developed a stutter on deceleration that required the "hammer" mod to solve. The cluster upgrade is very nice, but could add a lot of time to the project. I am watching, mark

SrSapo

TDI
Have 3 TD's
AndyBees said:
Power steering in the non-Westy '84, would you do it? I have the rack/pinion and of course there is a pump on the TDI engine!

So, anyone have thoughts on this?
Andy, I ran across a trick self contained power steering unit that I am planning to put in my van. Its electric and installs quickly. It's around $600 bucks, but for the ease of install I think its worth it. A couple of the guys on another forum installed them and love um.

http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html
Volkswagen T3/T25 Power Assisted Steering Kits
This is a road speed sensitive, electric power steering system for your Volkswagen Transporter. The kit is relatively straight forward and can be fitted in around 4 hours start to finish. No need for pipes, pulleys, pumps or hydraulic steering racks!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ALH Cluster usage

AndyBees said:

Here is a photo of what the finished job will looks like. Photo was taken in 2014 while crossing Alberta, Canada on the way to Alaska.

*EDIT: Skip over to Page 6, beginning with Post # 163 to see how I customized the Jetta Cluster to fit in the Vanagon Cluster Housing. There are lots of pics there.

[/quote

Okay, after laying the ground work and preparing to do the Cluster as per rempel_k at Yahoo Groups, TDI Conversion (results per the above photo of the ALH cluster in the vanagon), I've decided to go another direction.

Yesterday/last night, I did a lot of measuring, ciphering, studying, marking, and more measuring to finally determine that the ALH Cluster can be mounted in the center of the Vanagon Cluster housing.

Of course, this is going to require close measuring and cutting to make the necessary "hole" for it to fit.

Once it is finished, I'll post the photos and step by step procedure!

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
SrSapo said:
Andy, I ran across a trick self contained power steering unit that I am planning to put in my van. Its electric and installs quickly. It's around $600 bucks, but for the ease of install I think its worth it. A couple of the guys on another forum installed them and love um.

http://www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk/powersteering.html
Volkswagen T3/T25 Power Assisted Steering Kits
This is a road speed sensitive, electric power steering system for your Volkswagen Transporter. The kit is relatively straight forward and can be fitted in around 4 hours start to finish. No need for pipes, pulleys, pumps or hydraulic steering racks!
That's cool! however if it's a worm gear how do you steer the car in the event of an electrical failure? Yikes!

PJDiesel

TDI
1998 Jetta AHU
Timing Marks

Andy, I noticed that you are using the same bell housing that my son and I are using on our '82 Westy TDI conversion. We are using an AHU engine where you are using an ALH, but I suspect we are having a problem that you delt with.

When I put the flywheel on the crankshaft then put the bell housing on, the fly wheel timing mark does not line up with the timing inspection port pointer in the bell housing. It looks like it is about 90 degrees off. :confused:

I am thinking I will set our engine to TDC using an old AHU bell housing we have in the shop, then put the Vanagon bell housing on and scribe a mark on the fly wheel and pressure plate that line up with the Vanagon inspection port pointer.

Having an accurate way to line up TDC will be critical for future timing belt changes.

Did you have this problem and if so, how did you solve it?