Help ! Injector Pump Seal Leaks

TDI001

TDI
96 passat blk
Hi. I've been noticing some diesel seeping through between the top cover of my injector pump on a 96 TDI passat. The cover is held down with 3 torx bits and hex bolt. My car runs fine with no smoke despite the loss of fuel.
1.Can I just replace the seal myself?
2.Where can I buy the seal? Can I use these for a quick fix?
Thanks for any comment.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
a pic showing where it leaks

That ain't no hex head boy!

required tool

try a search for "pump leak fix" or the like. its been done and documented before.
And be sure to wear eye protection like the Lawyer label says on that tool.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1

That ain't no hex head boy!

required tool

try a search for "pump leak fix" or the like. its been done and documented before.

HEY SPEAKING OF BOY!!!! How's it goin, boy??? long time not talk...hope all is well for you, Robbie.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M

All's well. Tell your wife I just got myself a fiddle. as a matter of fact 5 minutes ago I was running through the Gmajor scale. I suck!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Something that no one answered:

Those sealants would not fix your leak unless you opened up the top. smearing it on the outside may cover it for a bit, but the fuel will still be leaking past the joint. I would not put it in place of or in addition to the seal that is there. With that kind of stuff, the excess will squeeze out from the joint and get into the inside of the pump. It won't become a wear material since it is soft, but it does have the ability to plug things and, depending on which one you use, it may cause problems with the fuel.

Better to just drop the dime and get a new seal.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Newbie,

1st things first.

Forget about owning a diesel if you are going to do things half assed or do "patch" jobs. The level of pressure and the tolerances make injector pumps quite unforgiving of shade tree mechanic tricks.

Secondly, if you don't have the wherewithall to handle a red dipstick tube top breaking while doing your own oil change, and figuring out how to handle that, forget about even turning a wrench on your injector pump. Get someone that's a mechanic to do it for you, I doubt you have the skill sets, especially when you can't even notice the special bolt head on your injector pump.

Find a good TDI mechanic in your area and don't ever piss him off, because you are going to need his services regularly with that 1996 Passat.

If you still feel up to tackling it, read this carefully and read it a full 5 times before you attempt it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=713742&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

If that doesn't work, try this, it's on page of of this post.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=713742&an=0&page=0#713742

and if that doesn't work, go do a search under Audi5000td and then search for a post dated June 02, 2005, around 7:20pm. Then start at the beginning of the thread and read it all the way through, several times.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

Here are the VW and Bosch part numbers for anyone else who has to change out the TOP fuel pump cover gasket/seal.

Last edited:

wooddashman

TDI
jetta 98 black
Re: a pic showing where it leaks

Any one have a VW part number for the lower seal?

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 White TDI/GT Jetta, 2003 Silver Jetta
The lower seal PN. is 2 460 206 009. The upper is 2 461 015 008. Both are in kit 2 467 010 003.
I have an exploded view of the pump with part numbers. Email me and I'll send it to anyone that wants it.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
where are you getting these seal kits for the IP's? i dont know where to get one and turbo kits too? thanks

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a kit from a local diesel engine repair shop (R&R Engine 330-724-5526). They work on everything from VW pumps to semis. Find someting like that or a Bosch shop.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
OK my pump may be leaking from the cover also, but it appears to be leaking form a ?? 13mm bolt, in the side of the pump between the pump and the block. The following pix shows a red arrow the points to where the bolt is. The bolt head is just below the cover where the arrow is(yes I borrowed the pix).

Also can someone provide a web site/phone # and kit number from a PO. Found this in another post, will try it.
H. G. Makelin Co., 714-978-0071, sells:
Bosch seal kit PN: 2-467-010-003-000.
Bosch socket (for special bolt head) PN: 0-986-612-605. Metalnerd's version is cheaper.
I need to order a cover gasket..., drive shafts seals and the seal the ?? 13 mm bolt.
Also if I remove the bolt does my pump self-destruct!

Last edited:

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
The input shaft seal PN. is 2 460 283 001.

I think there is a seal for that bolt. PN. 1 460 105 307 and it's in the kit I mentioned. 2 467 010 003.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
~two weeks later:

http://home.att.net/~acr400/two_seals.JPG

Ok 98 jetta (tdi), went to VW they ordered both seals that were listed for this car.

First attempt: wrong > 028 130 717 A

Second attempt: wrong > 068 198 051 A (contained a number of seals) not for my pump

Third attempt: going to VW tomorrow with my collection of seals 4/15/06

Forth attempt: I ordered a "kit" from local bosch jobber with the numbers in the post back a bit. He said about 40$, I'm hoping it has some cross referencing gaskets for different pumps.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok got proper seal + whole kit (2.52 + 18 + 14 shipping, Mack Boring in Springfield/Union NJ).

When I assembled the lower cover there is a hanging pendulum arm that seems to fit into a sliding circular thick washer with a hole in it.

1- I assume that the hanging arm needs to fit in the hole, true?
2- It is not possible to see the final allignment, I think that I have it but you never know. Car starts and idles, I did not get to setting the pump volume with the Hammer. Just wanted to check on this issue before I run it too long
3- would car run if I did not have proper allignment?

Thanks
BRuce

kurtzl

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I replaced my injector pump seals last week, many thanks to redtdi966, kneebull, & Audi5000TDI. I have just a couple things to add, that might be of some value.

As mentioned in the HOW-TO for replacing the pump seals, be sure and inspect the coolant hoses below the pump. One of mine was in desparate need of replacement:

In reading some other posts, this seems to be the hose that is most frequently compromised by leaks from the injector pump. It's a 3-way hose that goes between the water pump, head, and oil cooler. If yours is damaged, the replacement hose is part # 028 121 053 Q. $20 from www.autohausaz.com (look here) or $90+ from the dealer :eek:.

Here's a picture of the parts included in Bosch Kit 2 467 010 003-000. You can see the difference between the top cover seal (right), and the quantity adjuster seal (left). The kit should be available from your local Bosch dealer for ~$18. Be sure you're getting the correct kit - the Bosch dealer initially told me i needed kit DGK-126, but that kit only has one of the 2 seals!

Also, be aware that diesel may wash away the ink you use to mark the position of the quantity adjuster. Redtdi966 warned about this, and i used a sharp scribe to mark the pump/quantity adjuster in several places before taking it apart. I also used a black Sharpie to mark the lower left corner (as described in the HOW-TO) but the diesel washed part of that mark away. If you use a scribe to mark the pump, be sure you're looking from the same angle when you go to line up the marks again - the position can be deceiving if you're looking from the side.

One thing i should have done differently - before taking the pump apart, disconnect the fuel lines at the fuel filter, and use your MityVac to pump fuel OUT of the injector pump body. I didn't, and when i opened the pump, i ended up spilling diesel all over the coolant hose i had just replaced :rolleyes:.

I didn't have the torque specs for the cover/QA bolts, so i put them back on by "feel" - does anyone know what the torque for those bolts should be?

One week & 500+ miles later, all's well - not even the tiniest drip.

Good luck!

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Picked up a "DGK-126" kit, was totally useless. It only had one seal that looked remotely close to fitting and in the end it didn't. I did however have them check into the top seal because at the time I assumed that the bottom one in the DGK-126 kit was going to fit. The "top seal" that they ordered ended up fitting the bottom quantity adjuster portion of the pump. I squeezed the other seal in the kit into the top cover ( I trimmed the little nubs off ) and it actually is sealing until I get the correct one from VW ( 028 130 717A ). Took a little hammering back and forth till I got the IQ exactly right.

In summary, the two correct part numbers needed for the two most common seals are as follows:

Bottom: 2 460 206 009-000 - No VW equivalent?
Top: 2 461 015 008-000 - 028 130 717A

DGk-126 Kit - Useless unless you want the copper washers and other assorted o-rings and stuff...

FWIW- Boston Fuel Injection in Chelsea got the parts for me, they were real good about everything but they did get it wrong and weren't able to find the 2 467 010 003 kit everyone talks about...

BTW - I wish I just checked Dieselgeeks site first, would have saved me some hassle...
http://www.dieselgeek.com/Categories.bok?category=TDI+Injection

Last edited:

gotchatdi

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Also don't use lucas fuel injector cleaner it says on the bottle for diesel but I started using it and my injector started leaking. Just giving you guys a heads up.