Help!! Pump to Cyl. Head & Oil Cooler hose replacement

Hansd99

TDI
1998 Jetta
Hey everyone. Had a hose blow out on me, pump to cyl head & oil cooler hose. PITA to get too, trying to find a write-up for the proper removal/installation of said hose. Hose was able to be pulled out without removing anything near it. The new hose is a different story.

I've checked youtube, google and done a few searches on here to no avail. anything via google/youtube seems to be for a gas engine or the 2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to juggle 2 different work schedules with 1 car is not going smoothly.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
A: dont use photobucket, im not paying $40 a month just to view images you can upload here or facebook or ANYWHERE and post a picture link

What engine, AHU or ALH
the AHU is not hard to replace any hose, its just a PITA and you can do it, might skin your knuckles though a bit.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The '98 Jetta only ever came with the AHU.

I've done a bunch of these and they're a pain without the remote cable clamp pliers. With them they're still a pain but not too bad.

And the OP can upload pics to the forum pictures site and include them in posts.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hey everyone. Had a hose blow out on me, pump to cyl head & oil cooler hose. PITA to get too, trying to find a write-up for the proper removal/installation of said hose. Hose was able to be pulled out without removing anything near it. The new hose is a different story.

I've checked youtube, google and done a few searches on here to no avail. anything via google/youtube seems to be for a gas engine or the 2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to juggle 2 different work schedules with 1 car is not going smoothly.
Once you get through this replacement patch etc I'd be interested in knowing what brand hose failed, if you wouldn't mind sharing that.

Thanks
Steve A

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I replaced mine with some copper pipe and some high grade silicone couplers,

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
This is the likely culprit, it's the one that's most vulnerable.

I've never heard of the other hose failing down there although it could.

The replacement is straight forward, just remove the old hose collecting as much coolant as you can, replace the hose and then filter the old coolant and return to the system.

Post up pictures to the forum if there's a different situation going on but really there's not that much to do, but it is not that easy because of the spatial constraints down there.

Steve