TDIclub dinner? Charlotte NC

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
If there is interest in having a TDI dinner meetup out....send a pm or post up in this thread.

Charlotte is central to many places in VA,SC,NA, WVa, N.E. GA, and e.TN.

We thought about having a TDIclub dinner, and talk about fixing and continuous maintenance on TDI's of ANY vintage(1996-2012).....
but if you want to meet up...POST it HERE in this thread.

how to maintain them, and also helping each other turn a wrench.

This is a hobbyist website, and that means we can get together and help each other for little to no cost, without having an inexperienced tech. at the dealership screw up our cars.

personally, i have two '96 Passat TDI's...and almost bought a new JSW-tdi, until i read about the new Passat TDI's...personally gonna hold out on the new C.R. 2.0tdi until the PSW-tdi comes out, with a 6 speed manual.

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I'd be up for something; I'm from the CLT area originally, I used to live in 4th Ward uptown. Whether I can make it or not just depends on my schedule, I split my time between Wilmington and DC/NoVa for work. I have no preference over Weekdays/Weekends

Robert6401

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG
If it's not before I get home from the sandbox, I will try to make it. Just getting into the TDI group, but this would be a good way to meet some of the regulars.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
But for now, this thread will be for announcing meetups ANYWHERE!(in target areas)
if open to other TDI/ers, or TD'ers..

there is no (announced)GTG currently approaching yet...in conflict...
Was thinking a weekend would be perfect...

400 views, and only three replies?

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. I'm in the Charlotte area on and off for work projects. I'd sure be interested if I were in town.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
I like the idea of a Charlotte area GTG. Would be great to meet new club mbrs in NC and SC areas. IMO.

Last edited:

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
I like the idea of a meeting, but maybe a GTG without the dinner. Seems like more gets done at a GTG and grilling lunch. Would be great to meet new club mbrs in NC and SC areas. IMO.
I'm not sure if you missed the point..

If there is no GTG,(right now, there isn't, nothing to look forward to!!)
and only 4-5 TDI'ers are coming over...post it up here...

maybe someone local(or not)would like to drop by..and doesn't mind helping you....

If you are up for it and:
1. need help
2. share assistance
3. are bored and want to
post it here..

another 75+ car GTG....people passing in the breeze..and other folks working so hard on their cars you can't get a word out of them..

This thread was originally about just meeting and hanging out as a group...which here in the S.E. region....is a tough call..

Now, if you are working on your TDI and want help....or 2,3,4 TDI'ers are all getting together at someone's place....
a local 'rent a bay' garage...or whatever...and you don't mind/or specifically NEED HELP...post it here.

Let's help each other out...post it up here...

For instance....
sometime soon, I'm going to put motor mounts in a B4....and i'll post it here...and if anyone wants to borrow my VAGcom/VCDS while i'm wrenching...they are welcome to drive to my part of N.C. and use the VCDS...

OR if they would like to use my diesel compression tester...?
OR if they want to drop their oil.....rotate tires...repair a blown boost hose...that's cool with me...and i got all the tools to deconstruct your VW
not that everyone wants that..

That's just me....
someone else want to volunteer...post it up here:cool:

The more the merrier..

I never saw what was wrong with getting together for dinner at a banquet hall in a nice restaurant...using the wifi...and talking tdi..?

But no one stepped up...and i've got TDI wrenches to turn for the next while...
i can't arrange the dinner like i could have a few weeks ago..

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I'd be up for something. I swear there are tons of tdis around me here on the coast, but i've seen only a few people online from my area of NC. (Swansboro)

I actually talked to someone about it at the pump one day but I doubt they've gotten on.

Regardless, I'd like to get involved in something and I'll be bookmarking this thread. nice work

Lazer128

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS 5 Speed Tiptronic
I really need this! Just bought a 2004 Jetta and have a lot to learn and I know who is capable of teaching me. I actually have two 2004 Jetta TDIs. We drove one 4-5 days total before they wife wrecked it....total loss. Found another the next day. Bought the wreck so I have plenty of parts.

I'm 2.5 hours from Charlotte and will be upset if I can't make it. Count me in!

Hank

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
I'm in.
Dinner or grill and wrench.
If grill, I can throw 2 in the pickup.
Dinner and chat is cool too.

SCBuck

TDI
Ordered 2012 Passat TDI
Just picked up my first VW, a Passat TDI, last week after a four month wait. I live in the Greenville SC area and would like to attend if it's held on the weekend.

jaypee_alh

TDI
'97 B4 Sedan
Hi. i live in Charlotte. I own a TDI. I work at a gigantic bmw/vw/audi indy in charlotte. I have at least a few coworkers who are dieselgeeks too. As soon as my garage renovation is finshed (est june 2012) my wife, aka congress, AKA the Congress Party MAJAMA!, will be cool with some GTGs at my place. Big spread, 1 acre, detached garage, right at the 77/85 intersection in CLT.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
Having purchased 6 TDIs since 98, I feel I have some diesel in my blood. That aside, other than changing fuel filters and bleeding injectors, wrenching skills are limited to air-cooled VWs. A dinner of this sort could be an opportunity to learn a bit more, and make contacts that could prove to be a great resource. I'm in for a weekend when I'm in NC. On the road too much.:( No specific dates have been mentioned as yet. I would be happy to post those weekends I'll be home, if that would help to get this off the ground. Though I wouldn't want folks to base such an event around MY schedule.:rolleyes:

lirunaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Golf TDI, Model Year:2006 Code:6 MFG:07/05 Vin:9BWGR61J364004114 Sales Model:9B1 538 Description:1.9 TDI High 100 Engine:BEW Type:TD CCM:1896 KW:74 Description:Pumpe-D... Transmission:GPC Type:A Number:09AH GVWR:4097 Front:2269 Rear:1850
Hi. i live in Charlotte. I own a TDI. I work at a gigantic bmw/vw/audi indy in charlotte. I have at least a few coworkers who are dieselgeeks too. As soon as my garage renovation is finshed (est june 2012) my wife, aka congress, AKA the Congress Party MAJAMA!, will be cool with some GTGs at my place. Big spread, 1 acre, detached garage, right at the 77/85 intersection in CLT.
This one here sounds the best. However, I'll be open to go to whatever is agreed upon anytime after Easter. I'm 45mins North.

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
Jaypee,
Need help with the garage ?
Electricial ? Might be able to snag some used 2ft by 4ft flourescent lights.
Prob no lenses but I had in my last garage and wow !

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
sounding good.....:cool:

MDG225

TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just got an 05 TDI Passat Wagon and would be interested in meeting to learn more.... Like who to take it to to have the timing belt/water pump service? (car has 97,000 miles). Is there a repair shop in the area capable of replacing the chain with the BSM gear assembly? Who do I trust to replace the heater core? You know, little things like that. All advice is appreciated.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
sorry about not giving advance notice...i could have used a hand?

I worked on my '96 passat a little today...
intended to work on the '92 Jetta td, but i got into VCDS, scanning the B4...

everyone was welcome to drop by xxxxx, NC and lend a hand

*this is how the thread is supposed to work...people helping people..

The GTG thread is something entirely different...:cool:

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just got an 05 TDI Passat Wagon and would be interested in meeting to learn more.... Like who to take it to to have the timing belt/water pump service? (car has 97,000 miles). Is there a repair shop in the area capable of replacing the chain with the BSM gear assembly? Who do I trust to replace the heater core? You know, little things like that. All advice is appreciated.
Daniel (DGTDI) and Landon Grindstaff (Turbinewhine) in Asheville are good paid mechanics in the Asheville area. They are who I would recommend.
Sorry there is no one closer to you.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I usually have a GTG in central SC twice a year, once in late July, once in late January. We could use one in the Charlotte area. May I suggest that you try to spread out the dates with mine and with any that the Grindstaff's have in Asheville?

Holler if I can help.

Dan

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
I'm up for it. We need another GTG. I agree with DanG on staggering them out.

jaypee_alh

TDI
'97 B4 Sedan
Garage renovation update

Still coming along, albeit a little slower than I'd like. Recently found out my wife and I are having a Baby! Looking for a completion date end of June with a tentative GTG mid Julyish. The garage, not the baby :) Baby in Nov/Dec...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm in Charlotte and would love to meet other diesel geeks. My wife will just roll hers eyes and may join for dinner if I promise that we might also make her golf more fun. I just got my vcds but have not had time to sit down and really play with it.

I would have responded sooner but just saw this thread.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
I will step up and help too...
.Dan G is pushing his limits and would probably be a good thing to have another GTG that would be central to more folks in the area and take some load off of dan for his twice a year gtg that everyone looks forward to...

Location....location....location

pm me, or has anyone thought about a brainstorm meeting to discuss the details...

bd