Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I was filling up on the Garden State Parkway today, and not only did I have to deal with waiting in line for one of the 2 islands out of 30 gas pumps that have diesel, but the pump jockey warned me after I removed the pump from my car that I can get a ticket for touching the pump. I told him that it is legal to pump your own diesel and he said it's not true and a lot of state troopers come through and could write us both a ticket.
So, petty me went home and printed a copy of NJAC 12:196-1.1 and put it in my glovebox so I can show the next confused pump jockey.
Happy Labor Day
You're assuming they can understand, much less read, the written word! :D

I need to find the same thing for Oregon.

BTW, my first response is that the law doesn't apply to those from out of state since New Jersey and Oregon can only determine that their residents are all too stupid to pump gasoline. Sometimes that flusters the pump jockey enough! :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
BTW, my first response is that the law doesn't apply to those from out of state since New Jersey and Oregon can only determine that their residents are all too stupid to pump gasoline. Sometimes that flusters the pump jockey enough! :D
Wish I had thought of that the last time I pumped gas in Oregon. I was too impatient to wait for the one person running 12 pumps at the station closest to the Portland airport.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I used to let the jockey start the pump and when he walked away, take over. I never got an argument.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Strange, but we are not having any trouble filling up (gasoline) just north of Houston in The Woodlands. I filled our SUV at a Walmart station the other day and I was the only car there (2:00 PM).
Lots of fuel being bought here and transported down there as well as fueling all the trucks used to haul that stuff in. Maybe that along with people panicking over the fuel shortage worries, had an effect.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I used to let the jockey start the pump and when he walked away, take over. I never got an argument.
This. Has been my standard procedure (jockey starts it, I finish it) since day one, never had an issue even on GSP (at least, not at the two service plazas I've used off and on for the past 15 years).

If he's going to give you grief over you doing something legal, find a different service plaza...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It may be legal, but the pump jockey is only responsible to his boss, and if his boss doesn't want customers touching the equipment, that's his prerogative...

Yuri

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Not that I travel that way much, thankfully, but I've always timed my fillups so that I skipped New Jersey entirely just to avoid the entire issue. I hate it since their fuel is cheaper than surrounding states but I don't wanna get in an argument with someone over fuel law.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you go to the truck stops, they don't even give you a second look.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Back in 1981 while we were waiting to board the ferry to Nord Kapp in Norway, the incoming ferry docked and among the debarking vehicles was a large Winnebago-type RV with California plates! I always wondered what it cost to fill the tank on that (not to mention the cost of shipping it to Europe).
That was probably an EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
A GMC motorcoach !! Complete with 455 Cu INch V8 and 3 speed Turbohydramatic 400 automatic transmission (from the Olds Tornado).

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Nope, not here . . . I own one, and trust me, in this application, it's the 455 coupled to a beefed up Toronado FWD tranny/final drive . . . Quadrajet on top, and due to the custom chassis (not a breadbox slapped on a truck like most that vintage) and ahead of it's time aerodynamics, can do 12 MPG . . .

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Until this thread , I wasn't aware that the Toronado used a different tranny than the RWD drivetrains. Mom and Dad had a 72 Olds Custom Cruiser with that powertrain, and used it to tow a 24 feet travel trailer. it really needed a 3.73 / 4.10 rearend instead of the 3.42 it had for towing.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The '66 Olds Toronado was GMs first front wheel drive car and used the 425 trans, which in 1967 was shared with the Cadillac El Dorado. In 1979 the FWD cars were downsized and used the 325 trans.

Ogcat

TDI
2015 Golf S DSG, 2016 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
I was filling up on the Garden State Parkway today, and not only did I have to deal with waiting in line for one of the 2 islands out of 30 gas pumps that have diesel, but the pump jockey warned me after I removed the pump from my car that I can get a ticket for touching the pump. I told him that it is legal to pump your own diesel and he said it's not true and a lot of state troopers come through and could write us both a ticket.
So, petty me went home and printed a copy of NJAC 12:196-1.1 and put it in my glovebox so I can show the next confused pump jockey.
Happy Labor Day
Good thought. I just did the same. I've never been hassled, but there is always a first time.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Wow. I would of never considered a pump attendee in this day and age.

I always thought of the rich bimbos with huge boobs which the attendee runs out and tried for some points.

But this is real! It's really unlawful in some states to squeeze out gasoline and not diesel??

Weird!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes - it's really true . The states that have this law are New Jersey and Oregon.

In general the laws state that an attendent has to fuel GASOLINE powered cars - not to say there is much confusion from them about DIESEL powered cars.

In a way, it's kind of amusing to see some NJ plated car who has never fueled anywhere else before waiting for "the attendent" to fill their cars.

I first ran into this when I did my Boston to Jacksonville FL move in the Navy - Needed gas on the NJ toll road (I-95), so I found an open station, and got out of my truck and started filling before the guy even got there.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is why I usually went to the same station to fill up. After the initial "THAT'S DIESEL!!!", they knew who I was and just waved to me. I fill up at home now.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I have a brother in Law in Oregon; it wasent until he was about 30yro that he was forced to learn how to use a fuel pump.. good thing he couldn't figure it out on his own and had to go ask for help, because he had the diesel nozzle hanging out his rental minivan.

Havent been to NJ but Ive never had an issue filling my own Diesel in Oregon, if anything I'll tell em i'm getting diesel on their march over and tha'll cause an about-face.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I had an experience at a station yesterday.

The station I stopped at is one that I will stop at when traveling on that particular highway. It has a row of gas pumps in the front, with the single
pump on the end that is a double gas/diesel pump, so it is the pump I have to use and many times have to wait on people to move their truck/car
(since they have run into the store, and left their car there). So, this trip, I have to wait a few minutes, when the pump is clear, I have to make a circle
to line up to the pump and my fuel cap. So, I start filling up, lock the handle, and check my oil level.

Then a old 1970/80's vintage pickup truck pulls in cockeyed to the rear of my car, to get his gas cap close to the gas hose.

The fuel pump is a double hose, with one card reader, so only one hose works at a time.
He gets out, pulls out his wallet and walks over to the pump.
I am at the front of my car checking the oil, and I look at him and say in a loud voice "I am still filling the car, only one hose works at a time".
He does not really look at me, puts his wallet in his pocket, picks up the gas hose, and stretches it over to his truck. The truck is too far
from the pump, he puts the hose back, gets in his truck, and leaves the station!

johnjonfenomenon

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Happy Labor Day

Great information, I was at my local gas station and there was a new kid there and I clearly lined up my tank next to the diesel pump. He then came up to my window and I stated,m "FILL IT UP DIESEL!". He proceeds to insert his ID card in the regular gas pump and then goes back to me and verfies, "You said fill it up right?". I then yell back at him and say, "yes fill it up but not with that I said diesel!"

So let me ask, in the event the idiot did not heed my warning and put petrol in the tank, what are the necessary steps to take.

I would assume
1. Dont start the car
2. collect the reciept and name of attendant
3. call tow service to get the car transported to nearest vw dealer to get serviced.
3. Give the gas station the bill

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I would assume
1. Dont start the car
3. call tow service to get the car transported to a competent mechanic to get serviced.
I fixed it for you. I would avoid VW dealerships except for warranty repairs.

Have Fun!

Don

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great information, I was at my local gas station and there was a new kid there and I clearly lined up my tank next to the diesel pump. He then came up to my window and I stated,m "FILL IT UP DIESEL!". He proceeds to insert his ID card in the regular gas pump and then goes back to me and verfies, "You said fill it up right?". I then yell back at him and say, "yes fill it up but not with that I said diesel!"

So let me ask, in the event the idiot did not heed my warning and put petrol in the tank, what are the necessary steps to take.

I would assume
1. Dont start the car
3. call tow service to get the car transported to nearest vw dealer to get serviced.

0 - Don't let the jockey near your car and do it for them. Or meet them at the pump and watch them grab the correct hose.

Otherwise - yes - except make that VW dealer a competent mechanic (could include VW dealer).

hankymurphy

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '14 A6
I would assume
1. Dont start the car
That is why I always get out of the car and make sure they put the right pump in, and then I take the pump out myself when it is finished so they don't spill diesel all over the car.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
That is why I always get out of the car and make sure they put the right pump in, and then I take the pump out myself when it is finished so they don't spill diesel all over the car.
THIS. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Get out of the car and watch 'em like a hawk and make absolutely d@mn sure they grab the DIESEL nozzle and not a gasoline nozzle. Be ready to intervene and stop them if they grab a gasoline nozzle. Let them start the pump and then tell them you'll take over from there. If necessary, remind them that the no-self serve law applies to gasoline and not to diesel. They should be OK with it since it frees them up to serve the mob of gassers waiting.

Whenever I go on a long trip, I plan ahead and completely avoid fueling up in NJ. Fortunately the tank range in a diesel vehicle puts me well past NJ before I need to think about getting fuel.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
John's 14 Passat TDI should have a mis-fueling guard though, that makes it impossible to insert a RUG nozzle. The design is not completely sealed so that a very small bit of gasoline can get into the tank, but it will become obvious rather quickly to the pump jockey that something is wrong when the gasoline splashes back or the pump clicks off immediately... still, I agree, watch them like a hawk, with the delicate HPFPs on these things why risk even a few drops getting into the tank?

For the rest with pre CR-TDIs or CR TDIs without the mis-fuel guard or who have removed it (or never had it installed as per the recall), if I were them, I would supervise the pump jockey extremely closely. Mind you, it was a pimply pump jockey that taught me the "venting" trick on my first TDI ('99 Mk IV ALH), to allow me to stuff a good 8 extra litres in the tank and increase range by nearly 200 kms!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
why bother with a mechanic? it's got an electric lift pump, just jumper the relay with a paperclip and yank the line to the filter
extend the line down into the underground tank (whichever is the larger portion of what's in the tank, gas or diesel)
wait 15 minutes or so for it to drain
push it back over to the pump, fill with diesel and purge through the line a gallon or so to get the fuel line washed out if you're real paranoid, hook it all back up and drive away

station owner should be helpful during the process and buying the fuel and extra fuel line, as they don't want to pay a tow bill and idiot dealer techs to 'fix' your junk