LATCH anchor limit

hedgehog

TDI
Jetta 2.0
For 07 Jetta,

Does anyone know the maximum weight rating for the LATCH anchor for the car seat?

Thanks.

hedgehog

TDI
Jetta 2.0
kromicacid said:
Read the manual?
Yes, I did.
First of all, I am in Taiwan, I hope I do have the same manual that you have.

From the manual, it states "Child seats using the ISOFIX system or seats in which the child faces the rear of the vehicle are most appropriate for babies and small children weighing between 9 and 18kg."

And that is for Group 1 child seat.

For Group 2 and 3, it says nothing regarding ISOFIX.

In the section of "Securing a child seat with the ISOFIX system", it did not mention the the weight limit either.

My problem is:
I have a Britax Frontier. It supports child up to 40kg with 5 point harness. And it does have ISOFIX.

Does that mean I should assume that the weight limit is 18kg?

Thanks for you time questioning me.

It would be nice if you can tell me something that the manual does not have.

Thanks.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
I think the 18Kg limit is just for the rear-facing child seat itself not the LATCH anchor points. If the car seat limit for forward facing is 40Kg I don't think there is any problem with the anchors holding that.

When I put my kids' child seats in the car, I tighten them down hard and they don't give, they're bolted to the car and I don't think your child and seat is enough to rip them out.

edit- as I read a little about them it kind of looks like the limit is 40Lbs. which I think is 88Kg?

here's a quote "There is growing interest in using the top tether and lower anchors for children in harnessed forward-facing carseats that have weight limits above 40 pounds. The government safety standards do have a safety margin above that, and were based on a combined child and carseat weight of 65 pounds. It is possible that some automakers added a safety margin above that. Even so, it is best to check with your vehicle's manufacturer and carseat manufacturer if this is an issue, especially if your child exceeds 48 pounds. Unfortunately, some companies may not have this information readily available for consumers."
from this page

I would say "drive more, worry less"

Last edited:

hedgehog

TDI
Jetta 2.0
Thank you all for you kind replies.

I did contact with VW in Taiwan and I have yet to get an answer from them.
At this point I also did not know how to lock the seat belt which I will dig into the manual during the weekend.

Unlike in the U.S., our car seat regulation is not that advance. And, most people stop using car seat after their children turns four. Most of the dealer does not have the information. And, in most cases, only import cars come with ISOFIX.
Even my Jetta does not come with the anchor point (tie down eye) in the trunk for the top tether. I have to locate and order the parts and install them.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
hedgehog said:
Thank you all for you kind replies.

I did contact with VW in Taiwan and I have yet to get an answer from them.
At this point I also did not know how to lock the seat belt which I will dig into the manual during the weekend.

Unlike in the U.S., our car seat regulation is not that advance. And, most people stop using car seat after their children turns four. Most of the dealer does not have the information. And, in most cases, only import cars come with ISOFIX.
Even my Jetta does not come with the anchor point (tie down eye) in the trunk for the top tether. I have to locate and order the parts and install them.
Let us know on the limit. I tried to get it from VWOA with no luck.
To some of the replies above- the 40 lb limit is the car seats limit not the latch anchor in the car. As is typical, most car seat manuals will tell you to check with your car manufacturer to find out the latch anchors limits for your car.

hedgehog

TDI
Jetta 2.0
TwoTone said:
Let us know on the limit. I tried to get it from VWOA with no luck.
To some of the replies above- the 40 lb limit is the car seats limit not the latch anchor in the car. As is typical, most car seat manuals will tell you to check with your car manufacturer to find out the latch anchors limits for your car.
If you can't get the answer from VWoA, I really doubt that I can get the answer from VW in Taiwan.

If I do find the answer, I will come back and update.
Until then, I guess I will try to find out how to lock the seat belt in place and use seat belt method instead of LATCH.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Try getting your questions answered here: http://www.car-safety.org/latchfaq.html If the FAQ does not help, they have a forum.

My own thought is that the latches meet an ISO standard. So, if any baby/toddler seat is certified to use the latches, then as long as the child is in the weight /height range of the seat, you are fine.

hedgehog

TDI
Jetta 2.0
owr084 said:
Try getting your questions answered here: http://www.car-safety.org/latchfaq.html If the FAQ does not help, they have a forum.

My own thought is that the latches meet an ISO standard. So, if any baby/toddler seat is certified to use the latches, then as long as the child is in the weight /height range of the seat, you are fine.
As TwoTone mentioned above:
As is typical, most car seat manuals will tell you to check with your car manufacturer to find out the latch anchors limits for your car.

In Britax's manual, it states to check with your car manufacturer to find out the latch anchors limits for your car. If it is not specified, assume 40lb is the limit.

Interestingly enough, I went to the site you point out earlier today. I did not find the information that I need. And, yet to ask in their forum.

Thanks!
:)