96 VR6 starter/alternator fit/use in 96 B4V TDI?

macinco

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
(it actually gonna be a swap /conversion of a 96 B4 1Z into a 96 B4V VR6). (it'll be sweet)

I am wondering if when i pull/sell the VR6 motor (which is gonna be soon), should I keep/would I be able to use (spare or whatever), the starter and/or alternator? (two somewhat key pieces to consider when selling/buying)

Thanks in advance for any experiences/advice.

Mark

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
Lug_Nut should be able to answer that one or look up the parts for both and compare part numbers:)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
IIRC, lug_nut has done one or two of these swaps. Send him a PM.

Tony

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The VR6 and TDI (and AAZ, too) use the same starter motor part number for manual transmission cars.

The alternators use different numbers. The 120 amp Bosch alternator for the TDI is 028 903 018 B. The 120 Bosch for the 1995 and on VR6 is 028 903 018 C. That might be as minor as a terminal nut threading, or could be a pulley diameter difference.
Up to 1995 the VR6 and AAZ used the same number with an A suffix, so I think any difference between a B and C is probably minor.

Me? I'd sell the VR6 engine and transmission (with starter and alternator) as a complete, running package. Buy a replacement if ever the TDI stuff fails.

macinco

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Well thanks for the info guys.....The problem with selling the motor/tranny/etc as a "package deal" Is that the automtic tranny is kaput (run it through all the gears, and it just really doesn't try to move the car much at all). If is tranny did work, it would be a really attractive package for someone for a VR6 conversion. I have a guy i think that just wants the motor.

I was hoping that 120 alternater could be usable, but if it spins the wrong way... well......

Sounds like the starter mught be worth keeping though, maybe just need to change the gears to work in a TDI.

I dunno though, I think I should probably just send/sell the starter/alt with the motor.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
SAME ALT--the ONLY diff is the pulley--which a impact gun properly used will solve fast!!!! have done this twice already--

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Oh, well that's good to know! I do know the 120A A3 TDI alt is interchangeable with a 90 amp mk4 2.0 alt, you just swap the pulley.

-J

macinco

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Well, sounds like both the starter and alternator are definately keepers then (swap pulley on the alternator and I will have 120 amp alt).

Lug Nut... you said the starter "motor"(s) had the same part numbers.....does that mean I can just bolt it and and it is the same? Or would I need to change some gears or something to make it work/the same as a TDI starter?

Geez... thanks so far folks!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
All the other VW parts, with a part number for part number match, have been direct R&R bolt-ons. I'd be shocked if part number xyz couldn't replace part number xyz.
What I mean is: I have not personally replaced a 1Z starter motor with an AAA starter motor, but I truly expect that I could.
What I also mean is that: I've not had to replace a 1Z starter motor because one failed to operate. I did replace the smashed one when I transplanted the red wagon engine, but that wasn't an 'operational' failure.
Sell the starter.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic
well,the black tdi we had at first--the starter died at 338,000. dang thing!!:D the green one driving now--has been not quite bad since the day i got it back together:rolleyes: and i have one in the car to replace it,before winter!! 237,000. course if it was a american car--id probalby replaced them already, at prob less than 150,000!!!!:D

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Reviving this older thread, hoping that maybe others have used a B4 VR6 120A alternator on their TDI's since the start of this conversation back in '09. Driving home tonight with temps in the single digits, found myself in need of a new alternator. Having a B4 VR6 (manual trans) alternator in hand, I was hoping I could use this one until I can get another replacement or rebuild the TDI alternator.

From what I can see, only difference is the pulley, VR6 pulley is slightly wider. Both are Bosch 14V/120A, same electrical connections, cases look exactly the same.

The numbers on the TDI alternator - 0 123 505 011 and 028 903 025 S, numbers from the VR6 - 0 123 510 007 and 021 903 025 G.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
does it make a difference if an alternator spun backwards? I thought an alternator or generator would create the correct current/voltage/polarity/whatever regardless of the direction you spin it.

now the thread direction on the shaft might be an issue....with the nut working loose over time

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Thread direction was the same when I swapped pulleys, other than that it looked like the same alternator, installed it this morning, working fine.