AHU block, ALH cylinder head?

6speed

Veteran Member
TDI
82 TDi vanagon, 96 passat TDi wagon
Just wanted to know if an AHU block will mate to a ALH cylinder head? It's a long shot, but I don't have both next to me to compare.

I'd like to build a hybrid engine with the later internals in an earlier block to install into a vanagon.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I have a new complete cylinder head for an AHU--not the cheap Spanish kind either ;) $895 shipped.
Cheers,
-BB

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
No 6speed but if you remove the crank end pully from a mk4 bottom end and refit it to the pd 130hp bottom end it will fit your new head.

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
Whoa explain more? What's this Frankensteining I like the sound of

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Whoa explain more? What's this Frankensteining I like the sound of
Maybe things changed since 2006! i never heard of any though, heads are block specific but now we have CNC machines and better welders and some people making custom heads so i guess anything is possible after 12 years

senso

TDI
Bora Mk4(ALH)
I got the idea that you could grab a PD150 shortblock and slap a VP head with some mish mash of pulley matching and using the accessory bracket from the VP into the PD.

That or grab the pistons and rods, sputerred bearings, bore your VP block to accepth the PD pistons and gain a bit more CC and then use the rods and bearings and you have an engine with internals a lot better than the stock ALH.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
If you use PD bottom end you have to change trigger wheel.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I got the idea that you could grab a PD150 shortblock and slap a VP head with some mish mash of pulley matching and using the accessory bracket from the VP into the PD.

That or grab the pistons and rods, sputerred bearings, bore your VP block to accepth the PD pistons and gain a bit more CC and then use the rods and bearings and you have an engine with internals a lot better than the stock ALH.
I think jimbote put an ALH head on a BHW if you wanna look him up.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
ahu block and alh head, the issue is the oil drains

you can weld them up to the right size for the AHU head gasket
thinking on it further, if the only difference is the big rectangular oil drain, you could get a tube turned to press fit in the head up where the drain is round, JB weld it in there and have it slip fit and extend down into the block. Make sure to run a really unrestrictive CCV system and it might work. Oh right, vanagon, they run the motor just about on its side... Never mind.
ETA: or maybe run an o-ring groove at the bottom of the tube to seal it in the block

I've got an AHU bare head kicking around, but shipping'd be a tremendous pain. I think I got it thinking I'd convert a 1.6D to a DI motor for whatever dumb reason.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Why would you want to do that? AHU-ALH? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Why would you want to do that? AHU-ALH? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Why not? We do lots of things we shouldn't do and they work either well, so so or goes bad quickly, :eek:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Theoretically you would have two vacuum pumps as well.
Slap a distributor in there and run spark plug wires to the glow plugs
just to confuse people

not like you really need the GPs on a direct injected motor above 0F anyways

mk3pd

TDI
Passat Quattro :)
Lots of differences between ahu-alh,oil drains,dowel pins for the head,different offset on the cam sprocket,different timing belt length just to name a few
It's doable,but why the heck when it is rather easy to find the right head/block for cheap.....