eGolfs for $10K off MSRP, another $10K off for federal and CA.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My daughter lives in downtown LA and will be working in Century City once she finishes school next year. She bought a Civic about a year ago, but I keep telling her she'd be crazy not to buy an electric car once she's settled in her job. I've seen charging stations in a lot of public garages in LA, and she'd also have access to those at LAX. And they are usually well located parking spaces. Also, she'd get single passenger HOV lane access, although she says it doesn't matter, the HOV lanes are stopped dead at high traffic times, too. Still, it would be a logical choice. She doesn't do any long distance driving (hates it), so a Model 3 would be worry free for her. Not so much the eGolf: She does go to Laguna or Newport for the day sometimes. That would be a stretch.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
This eGolf does not save me $$. I was going back and forth and finally realized that eventually when I sell it, that will reduce my costs further. $16K now, sell for $8K later, and I have a nice $8K toy.

Time of use power would screw me as my wife is at home all day and with all the pcs running, led lights, electric oven, etc. night charging would be ~$0.12/KWh, but peak is $0.45!!! Work has free charging so I’ll be doing that as much as possible. Public Checkpoint chargers are not that good of a deal, as bad as paying for gas or worse. Everything is too expensive here in California. Oh and my insurance on this eGolf is $1K more than the Jetta TdI.

Love the quietness, smooth power, instant throttle response, all the new tech. I’m hoping my wife adopts using it more than her Mazda 3. Her trips are so short I feel bad for her car’s engine.

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Commuted to work with the eGolf last Friday and today. Even doing 75 on the freeway with a pack of cars I was rewarded with 4.6 miles/KW. Extremely quiet, very enjoyable, I'm spoiled!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I bought a 19 EGolf in March for $24,500. Less the tax credit and the PA rebate I have $15,250 in it. It works great, I can get about 150 miles out of it and our rate is about $.12 kWh, so that's about $2.66 per 100 miles.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Some comparison on cost to operate for the e-Golf vs TDI in Northern California:

The e-Golf uses 28 kWh/100 miles, and here we pay $0.22 /kWh, so the cost to drive 100 miles is (28kWh/100mi)*($0.22/kWh)=$6.16.

My TDI gets about 55mpg, and we pay about $4/gallon. So the cost to drive 100 miles is 100mi*($4/gal)/(55mi/gal)=$7.27.

Since fuel prices and electricity prices both vary, I'd say the cost per mile of e-golf electricity vs TDI diesel are roughly equal. The TDI is a bit cheaper if you hypermile and aggressively shop diesel prices, the e-Golf is cheaper if you get an EV plan, charge only at night, and use very little electricity during the day. The e-Golf is crazy expensive to operate if you have the tiered electricity plan and go into top tier, paying $0.49/kWh.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Some comparison on cost to operate for the e-Golf vs TDI in Northern California:

The e-Golf uses 28 kWh/100 miles, and here we pay $0.22 /kWh, so the cost to drive 100 miles is (28kWh/100mi)*($0.22/kWh)=$6.16.

My TDI gets about 55mpg, and we pay about $4/gallon. So the cost to drive 100 miles is 100mi*($4/gal)/(55mi/gal)=$7.27.

Since fuel prices and electricity prices both vary, I'd say the cost per mile of e-golf electricity vs TDI diesel are roughly equal. The TDI is a bit cheaper if you hypermile and aggressively shop diesel prices, the e-Golf is cheaper if you get an EV plan, charge only at night, and use very little electricity during the day. The e-Golf is crazy expensive to operate if you have the tiered electricity plan and go into top tier, paying $0.49/kWh.
I would imagine you offset some of the electric costs by no oil changes, air filter, fuel filter and additives.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I would imagine you offset some of the electric costs by no oil changes, air filter, fuel filter and additives.
You do but you also have to watch how much public stations charge for power. Some cost more to use than others. There's one by my house that is $1/hour at 6.6 KWhr rate. This ends up being cheaper than me charging at home however there are other chargers in town that are $2.6 or even $4/hour.

I have free charging at work so I'll be using that as much as possible. Still, I can buy a lot of diesel (180K miles worth) for $15K (the ultimate price I paid for the eGolf).

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Still, I can buy a lot of diesel (180K miles worth) for $15K (the ultimate price I paid for the eGolf).
Not to mention the price of tags & insurance on a new vehicle. My old TDI is $26/yr whereas a new car is around $300. The state next to me (MS) has started assessing a yearly road tax of $150 on EV's also.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yes, you would no longer have those expenses but how much do they really add up? I think my dealer charges $185 for the basic 10k service, which works out to an additional $1.85 per 100 miles. Changing casioqv's numbers to about $9/100 miles for the TDI versus $6 for the electric. Still not going to get rich driving the eGolf.

tdiv

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I've been considering jumping into the electric car game. The rebate does make it worth it. I feel like that the prices are all over the place, just searching dealers on some of the major sites (cargurus, autolist, autotrader etc..) confirm it. 15k out the door is a great price, if I could find a similar deal I probably would jump at it. For me that would offset the newer registration cost and and insurance :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
tdiv, keep in mind that your range would be significantly reduced in winter.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Just noticed this thread.

I contacted a dealer in the San Fernando Valley for a quote.

Why does the form letter I got back ask if I want to finance or lease? I replied "I want to buy, not lease or finance". I hope that's still an option.

I assume it's an auto response since it came back right away and I think they were still closed.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Often some of the incentives come through VW Credit so you have to finance with them to get the discounts. When I bought my leftover TDI I would forfeit the rebate if I paid cash. I leased and paid it off a couple months later.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
All of us that are getting the $10K off MSRP had to take VW financing. Planning on paying it off at the first payment.

KLXD, I don’t think any dealer I contacted read what I entered and requested before contacting me.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Yep, $10k off of $32.8k. He didn't know anything about the rebates. I'll have to check that out myself. I wonder how much more they'll come down.

Check the fine print. You may not be able to pay it off that quick without a penalty.

I get power from the LA DWP not Edison so I have to see what they offer.

CA isn't giving anything now so I have to see if you get on a list for when the money's available again or if you have to wait to buy until it is.

Then there's the cost of the charging outlet. I'd do it myself but I have no idea what they cost.

Is it just 240 AC and the rectifier's built into the car? I haven't found that yet.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Costco sells a charging unit but I have no idea how it's hooked up to your service or if the plugs will work on the VW.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The literature says the eGolf comes with a 7.2kW onboard charger. So you'd want a 40 or 50 amp 240V circuit for home charging. I see the eGolf has a top speed of 85 mph, which while perfectly adequate, seems a bit low. I do think it is one of the best looking EV's currently available. And affordable with all the discounts, rebates, and tax incentives.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
The literature says the eGolf comes with a 7.2kW onboard charger. So you'd want a 40 or 50 amp 240V circuit for home charging. I see the eGolf has a top speed of 85 mph, which while perfectly adequate, seems a bit low. I do think it is one of the best looking EV's currently available. And affordable with all the discounts, rebates, and tax incentives.
7.2KW charging is at 32 amps but you can of course charge slower. I just picked up a ClipperCreek 20A charger used for a good price. This will charge in 1/4 the time vs the level 1 110V charger the car comes with and only needs a 30A 240V circuit.

The top speed depends on which mode you have the car in. Eco tops out at 75mph which I ran into today on the way home. "Hmm, feels likes a flat spot - oh wait, I'm in Eco mode. . . . ". Eco+ is I think 61 mph.

Today on my commute home, 48 miles in 1.5 hours, completely grid locked and creepy slow for most of it, the joys of an e-car and 'single speed' transmission was evident. Quiet, air conditioned, essentially one pedal driving with the regen set to level 3. Effortless and smoothly driving at any speed, even walking speed. So glad I wasn't in my 03' Jetta Tdi 5spd.

Been averaging 4.6 miles/KWH on my 95% freeway commute and this is staying with a pack of cars doing 75.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I charge a Leaf and a Golf at 20 amps with one charger and that works just fine for us. It depends on your daily mileage and how fast you need the turn around time to be when you arrive home.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I've been watching the pricing on the off lease SE versions that have been making it to Florida, and considering holding out a few more years until the 2019s hit off-lease, but at $23K for a brand new one with all the 2019 upgrades, PLUS the $7,500 federal incentive, WOW... Apparently I should just go buy a new one and have it shipped to FL!! I just need to add to my PV array. I will have around ~2MWh of excess energy from the sun once I get my next 5,600W of PV online... (I currently have a 4.4kW array, and adding 5.6kW to that puts me at the 10kW allowable residential limit)

Anyone know the details on getting one of these cars if you don't call one of the states where they are technically sold your home? I've found exactly one in a state where I own property and have a real mailing address. I'd hate to pay TTL on a vehicle twice, and I'm not going to leave it there...

Last edited:

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I see the eGolf has a top speed of 85 mph, which while perfectly adequate, seems a bit low.

It is kinda weird, the car feels quite powerful but just hits a wall at 85mph (so I've heard ;)), and won't accelerate past there. I'm not sure why they did that, if there is a technical reason.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
90mph limit on my Spark EV and 100 on the Volt.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
that's 1.21 jigawatts. or roughly four banana peels.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Y...Then there's the cost of the charging outlet. I'd do it myself but I have no idea what they cost.
I believe it's about as complicated as the 50A RV outlet I have access to. It's slightly more complicated than the 30A RV (120V) outlet I installed on my farmhouse last summer. (or the two additional I have purchased to install there) On a scale of 1-10, with installing my own grid tied PV array being a difficulty rating of 7, I'd give the outlet to charge an EV a difficulty rating of 2. It's not your average 120V circuit, but it's not complicated, other than the permits. :rolleyes:

The biggest hassle of installing an EV charge point will be digging a trench around the house from my service entrance panel on the back of the house to the driveway on the front. So glad I had the foresight twenty years ago to add a combination service entrance and circuit breaker panel on the outside of the house where the electric meter mounts. (breakers for the inside of the house are in the electric sub-panel in my laundry on the inside, the outside panel is just outside circuits and feed-thru to the inside panel). ;)

Considering what I had to pay to have electrical work done at my father's house recently, I'll dig my own trench and install my own EV charging post.