Collection of Dyno Charts and Videos

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Dyno Charts

======================

2009 Jetta 2.0L CR TDI 140HP, with no modifications to the engine/drivetrain

======================

2010 JSW 2.0L CR TDI 140HP Manual

Mods: Malone Stage 2 engine tune and peformance-diesel.com downpipe. off-road only. 4-6 MPG boost!

Dyno plot 1 - without AFE Intake VS. With AFE (ABS and ESP fuses pulled)

Dyno plot 2 - max. 168whp and ~280ft-lb torque - with AFE (smooth numbers) VS. Without and ABS and ESP fuses installed

======================

2010 Jetta 2.0L 140HP CR TDI DSG

Mods: Malone Stage 2 engine tune, performance-diesel.com downpipe with EGR retained. off-road only. 4-6 MPG boost! DSG tune.

Dyno run #1 - 166.55whp 334.47ft-lb torque

Dyno run #2 - 169.92whp 334.32 ft-lb torque

======================

2010 Golf 2.0L 140HP CR TDI DSG

Mod: Malone Stage 1.5 engine tune, factory DSG software

Dyno run - 177whp 275.4 ft-lb torque

The client had issues getting good acceleration at low RPM on the dyno, which is why it looks odd in the beginning.

======================

2010 Jetta 2.0L 140HP CR TDI

Mods: GTB2260VK, exhaust, clutch, Malone Stage 3 custom tune

Dyno run - 234whp 404 ft-lb torque

======================

2009 Jetta 2.0L 140HP CR TDI

Mods: Malone Stage 2 off-road, water/methanol, turbo inlet accordion pipe delete, turbo outlet dampener delete, Eurojet FMIC

Dyno run - ~180whp ~315 ft-lb torque

======================

Mods: Malone Stage 2 off-road, full exhaust

Dyno run - ~199HP ~422 ft-lb torque

======================

2012 Beetle 2.0L 140HP CR TDI

Mods: Malone Stage 2

Dyno run - ~183HP ~428 ft-lb torque

======================

2011 Audi A3 2.0L 140HP CR TDI DSG

Dyno Run 119.7HP - Stock (this is a conservative dyno machine)

Dyno Run 155HP - Malone Stage 2 + Malone DSG tune

Dyno Run 164HP - Malone Stage 2 + Malone DSG tune + Full Exhaust

http://i.imgur.com/Jhf0UCh.jpg

======================

2011 Golf 2.0L 140HP CR TDI

Mods: Malone Stage 2 off-road, full exhaust

Dyno run - 185hp 352ft-lb torque

http://i.imgur.com/ANei15a.jpg

======================

NOTE: THE LAST UPDATE WAS 2013.
I think I posted enough dynos here. I'm hoping to add a feature on our website that lets customers upload their dynos to it directly.

Last edited:

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Videos

======================

2011 VW MK6 Golf 2.0 CR TDI 140HP

Mods: Malone Stage 2 engine tune, full exhaust

Click for Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ6_4Bts1mI

======================

2011 VW MK6 Jetta 2.0 CR TDI 140HP

Mods: Malone Stage 2+ engine tune, Rawtek Inc. full exhaust.

Click for Video:

http://youtu.be/BvPxUv2Z7b0

======================

2009 VW Jetta 2.0L CR TDI 140HP

First 2009 TDI tuned in March 2009, dynoed in April or May 2009.

Mods: Malone Stage 2 tune

Click for Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULtk0b4vRA

Stock results on dyno: 133hp and 225ft-lb torque.
Stage 2 results on same dyno: 168whp and 315ft-lb torque (without line smoothing), 163hp and 295ft-lb (with line smoothing).

The vehicle still has DPF and all emissions systems intact. This explains the complete lack of smoke. That car still runs great since March 2009.

======================

2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L CR TDI 140HP

Click for Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeL_86Dbbx0

Dyno result: 160whp and 270ft-lb torque

Car details and pictures: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=334431

======================

2010 VW Jetta 2.0L CR TDI 140HP with DSG

Mods: Malone Stage 2 engine tune, full 2.5" exhaust, and Malone DSG tune.

Click for Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajR6ZTKEnQ

Dyno result: 169.92whp and 334.32ft-lb torque

The smoke level is surprisingly low despite the lack of emissions sytems (off-road only). This is cleaner than almost all older TDIs modified to the same power level, even with their full emissions system intact.

======================

2010 VW Jetta 2.0L CR TDI 140HP

Mods: Malone Stage 2 engine tune, full exhaust.

For those who are curious about the most possible smoke at WOT without emissions systems (disclaimer: off-road only!), this video taken in hot 100F Texas heat is a good example of it:

Click for Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_hyRwRaPHg

(this video was taken on a private road)

======================

2009 VW Jetta 2.0L CR TDI 140HP

Mods: Malone Stage 2+ engine tune, full exhaust.

Click for Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHfMhxJqRIo

Dyno result: 195whp and 385wtq uncorrected in Denver, Colorado (high elevation)

=======================

2010 VW MK6 Golf 2.0 CR TDI 140HP

Mods: Malone tune, 2.75" Rawtek Exhaust.

Click for Video:

Video #1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YthhIzvSU

Video #2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMVCiYPblg

=======================

Mods: GTB2260VK, exhaust, Malone Stage 3 custom tune

Click for Video:

Dyno result: 234whp and 404wtq torque

=======================

Mods: Malone Stage 2 tune, Malone DSG tune, exhaust

Click for Video:

Click for second video

=======================

2010 Jetta Cup Edition 2.0L 140HP CR TDI

1st to 3rd gear acceleration video

Mods: Malone Stage 2 tune, exhaust

VIDEO

=======================

2011 Jetta 2.0L 140HP CR TDI

Mods: Malone Stage 2 tune, exhaust

VIDEO

Dyno result: 199.6whp / 422.8wtq torque

=======================

NOTE: THE LAST UPDATE WAS SEPTEMBER 2013.
I think I posted enough dynos here. I'm hoping to add a feature on our website that lets customers upload their dynos directly.

Last edited:

AO928

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
Dyno plot 2 - max. 168whp and 297ft-lb torque - with AFE (smooth numbers) VS. Without and ABS and ESP fuses installed

======================
Sorry, but this looks more like an anomaly than actually usable torque.

It's not clear to me how much benefit came from the downpipe vs. the tune? I do like the idea of picking up an addition ~30whp.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
Mark, with your stage 2 tune on my 2010 with MT and stock exhaust, The MFI Indicated 46 mpg driving from Portland up to Port Angeles, and 47 mpg back down.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Sorry, but this looks more like an anomaly than actually usable torque.
No need to apologize, you're completely right. I made corrections to the original post to state ~280ft-lb instead of 297ft-lb for that particular dyno.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
It's not clear to me how much benefit came from the downpipe vs. the tune? I do like the idea of picking up an addition ~30whp.
First I should emphasize that modifying emissions equipment is strictly for legal off-road use only. Deleting the DPF, the EGR, the catalytic converter, and in some cases even just changing the muffler is considered illegal on public roads. This type of discussion is discouraged by the tdiclub.com administrators who strongly believe in the Clean Diesel image, which is understandable. Thus, all emissions modifications should be discussed in the context of legal off-road/racing use only.

The exhaust upgrade does not seem to increase the peak HP or TQ potential significantly with the stock turbo. There are a number of benefits, however, described below:

• 4-6 MPG gain reported by most DPF-delete customers. Only a couple people have reported no reduction in fuel consumption so far.
  • Significantly improved response during 1st gear engagement. This reduces or eliminates bogging/stalling, particularly with the manual transmission.
  • Significantly lower cost alternative to replacing the DPF. One of my customers was quoted $4,000 by a VW dealer to replace his DPF, and his car was never modified. He opted for an aftermarket downpipe for around $750 instead and kept his car for off-road use only. This is an enormous cost difference and it completely eliminates DPF replacement concerns for the life of the vehicle. There are enough stories of Mercedes/Skoda/VW/Audi dealers forcing their customers to pay for their DPF replacements even under warranty with low mileage. DPFs are particularly susceptible to clogging in regions with lower speed limits.
  • So far I've seen a ~50C (~122F) reduction in EGT with a full straight-thru exhaust upgrade. This needs to be measured in more cars, but that's the average I'm seeing so far. This means better performance retention during sustained high performance runs. It is noticeable even in more than 10 seconds of WOT. The EGT limiter is hit sooner with a stock exhaust system. Consistently lower EGT during normal driving & racing is also good for turbo and oil life.

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Mark,

I'm interested in the results regarding the AFE CAI. I must not be looking at the charts correctly. What results did you see with it?

Bob

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Mark,

Thanks for transfering over my dyno/ mod list from vortex here to TDIClub.

Originally Posted by AO928

I would also add that the downpipe has a few other benifits besides what Mark mentioned:
  • Lowers underhood temperature by up to 25 Degree F.
  • Downpipe is moved farther away from Brake controller reducing brake fluid heat soak and decreased braking abilities.
  • Increased room for aftermarket turbos and general maintance.
  • Removal of 78 pounds of weight with full systems on most cars!
The exhaust is also quite and does not drone too much in comparison to normal gasser exhaust systems. Many owners have said it is perfect and quite during cruising, and sounds more agressive when on the go pedal.

I'm interested in the results regarding the AFE CAI. I must not be looking at the charts correctly. What results did you see with it?
Bob,

I am actually the one who dynoed the car with and without the AFE intake. I offer it for sale here: http://performance-diesel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=23 along with other Common Rail products.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Thanks Mark and Kyle for collecting data and posting here on TDI Club. :)

I'm very interested in going for a Stage 2 w/full exhaust [for off-road use only, of course], however it'll be next year; I want to put another 10k miles on the car before kissing the engine warranty goodbye.

Question for Kyle: I want to maximize the fuel economy of the setup and minimize any odors. I understand that keeping the EGR, while not ideal for long-term cylinder-head cleanliness, also improves fuel economy since the engine is getting the opportunity to re-cycle unburnt fuel. Furthermore, in the exhaust path, is it advantageous to run more than 1 [main, H2S, etc] catalytic converters to minimize smelly exhaust?

The last thing I want is to get out of the car [when on the racetrack] and smell like emissions. Would running your downpipe with the high-flow cat and then your straight-back exhaust with just the little muffler be sufficient, or should I keep the downpipe-back stock exhaust?

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Based on those dynos, was there any HP or torque gain? (too small for me to read)
According to that dyno, the AFE was good for 4wHP and 4wLbFt. With only one run of each showing and no datalogging accompanying the dynos, the gains could be more or less than that.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Ryepile,

Thanks for your interest. Go ahead and send me an email and we can talk about exhausts options for you. I personally like all my downpipes to have a high flow cat as close to the turbo as possible. This reduces nox drastically. The S2O box is designed to catch the rotten egg smelling exhaust when the downpipe fails. I have found that this will NOT remove the diesel smell from your exhaust nor will the muffler although both do help quite the exhaust down a bit and add to egt temps. I will say these cars with full performance exhausts smoke less and smell better than fully oem ALH or PD cars after tuning. This in my eyes is a huge improvement since we now have gained more fuel control and options.

On the AFE I only listed one run. I actually did three runs with it and they where all within the same +-1whp of eachother with the intake on. AFE has it listed at a 7whp gain on a stock car. Other companies claim up to 10whp on a stock car, but I find this highly unlikely. I like the AFE intakes due to their oem design and keeping the air snorkel with rain rejection, and the non oiled filter they use (you can get a higher flow model with an oil filter but I will not sell it!). I have had two customers with MAF issues and APR intakes in the last 6 months... Not good considering the cost of MAFS these days.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Climbin,

I wish AFE would make this same setup for MK IVs... I have their short-ram setup and another more OEM-like option would be nice.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Thanks Kyle for the solid feedback. I'll contact you directly when I'm closer to buying and we'll sort it out. I look forward to seeing how the performance GTI-style exhaust looks!

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Hey Mark does the Golf 6 in the last video have cats and a muffler? That exhaust sounds amazing.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
New video added: http://youtu.be/BvPxUv2Z7b0

I received several e-mails in the last few days from 2009-2012 TDI owners. Rest assured that I will reply to all of them by Friday.

I have been busy testing a DSG tune and it's coming along very well. Subscribe to our Facebook page (see signature below) for updates.

Cheers,
Mark

Pathy01

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
New video added: http://youtu.be/BvPxUv2Z7b0

I received several e-mails in the last few days from 2009-2012 TDI owners. Rest assured that I will reply to all of them by Friday.

I have been busy testing a DSG tune and it's coming along very well. Subscribe to our Facebook page (see signature below) for updates.

Cheers,
Mark
Please, please, please don't make us sign up for Facebook to get updates. Any chance you can post updates to your website, here or somewhere else on the web other than a social networking site?

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
I completely understand where you're coming from. I don't think you have to sign up at Facebook in order to view our page, though. You can just bookmark it and check back for updates. I will eventually copy all the major updates to my home page, but Facebook is nice for quick/short updates and commenting.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Thanks for posting the stock CR graph, I was looking for one. I guess it is perfectly normal to expect my power top drop as I approach 5,000 rpm... A tune down the road sounds nice :D

Last edited:

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Their first dyno was 160whp and then we installed a much more aggressive tune (you can see the smoke in their video) that should put down 170whp. They however have not gone back on the dyno yet, so the 340ft-lb figure is most likely an estimate. They may have based it off this dyno, but realistically it may be closer to 300wtq.

I think their current tune is a little too aggressive for the stock turbo, but they have plans to upgrade their turbo and injectors soon.

Cheers,
Mark

maxedtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door DSG
Question for ya, why does every dyno of tune show a weird spike and a quick drop off at 2000 or 2500 rpms, vs a stock smooth graph?!

I have seen many dyno graphs but I have never seen that before, only during shifts would something like that happen, but I presume pull was done in 1 gear only.

powers0430

TDI
2010 2.0T
the MkVI golf sounds bad ass!! ... i was maybe thinking about doing a tune and exhaust for off road use too. i am not new to vw at all but am new to the tdi. i dont know where to start or what to do? i have a 2010 jetta tdi pkg 2 and it seems kinda sluggish compared to my friends 09 tdi jetta? i had a diesel truck but im finding out very fast that theyre two different worlds. haha

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Powers send me an email at kyle@performance-diesel.com and I can help you out a bit with all the questions.

Maxedtdi- It could be because of these silly esp and abs modules pulling back fueling for a bit. I have the same issues on a stock motor though... I will see if I can get a copy of the graph of a stock one we just did on a dynopack.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
I'm not sure if this belongs here but I figured I'd share. This is a quick clip of my TDI (which is stock) vs. my brothers TDI Cup which has a Malone stage 2 tune and the PDE turbo back exhaust. Showing the difference between a stock car and modded one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNtuNT4Ujw

Last edited:

dean_park

TDI
2011 United Gray Golf TDI 4DR MAN
I assume the beeping was telling you both to punch it at the same time?.. If so, thats a pretty significant difference. What speeds did you both start at?
At the risk of encouraging "street racing", I'd love to see daylight/dry conditions (on a closed road with professional drivers and "do not not attempt" disclaimers posted) lol.