MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'll have to go check it out tomorrow morning, thanks for the heads up, I usually only go to jellison's

could use a DE143 camplate, spare pump's a bonus

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Only saw the one auto, GPs had been pulled, I got the pump and injectors (for 26 dollars!), drained the IP into the injector holes for anyone wanting the engine.
Still had the head, manifolds and turbo, but 12mm triple square is at work Might talk myself into grabbing the head.

Thanks for the heads up, GG!

ETA: grabbed the head, it had ARPs and I hadn't brought a 9/16" 12pt
luckily I found someone that had one and they weren't all that tight, oddly enough. I'd say like 100ft/lbs max

turbo (minimal shaft play) and shortblock are still there

Last edited:
TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
Anyone have a recommendation for a local machine shop to take my spare block and head to? Looking to have a tq plate/bore/hone done and a head cleanup on my spare ALH.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
torque plate likely isn't going to be a local thing, not that it's remotely necessary IMO
you'll probably have to get it sent in from a rental place
The only plates that every shop will have are ones where the head bolt bosses are cast into the cylinder walls, like an SBC 400CI. On these motors the bosses are cast into the water jacket, so cylinder distortion from bolting the head on is less than you get from hanging the motor by the engine mounts rather than by a rod through the mains.

Sadly the guy I send work to went to the length of changing the name of his shop to avoid modern car work, as he's already continually swamped with guys doing restorations on ancient stuff. Had a lincoln flathead v12 in last time I was there, very cool stuff.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Not only is there a $12.00 per gallon rebate on Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, but Mills Fleet Farm has a sale on those gallon jugs. Now only $22.99 until September 9th. So $10.99/gallon after rebate.

You will never find a better oil for a better price. I still had 3+ gallons from the last rebate, which just ended 3 or 4 months ago, but I still had to buy four more.

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
If I can source a torque plate, I may as well use it. I am probably going to end up asking around the heavy diesel places to see what they recommend for a machine shop unless someone here has used someone local. I am more afraid of the head work than the block work but I think I can explain to them that they cant take .040 off like a small block.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Peeps, there are several Mk4 tdis at the Johns auto you pull yard. One is a very complete auto with an 11mm pump.
Another John's Auto (LKQ) update: there a decently complete BEW beetle in the yard (DSG) as well as a couple of picked over-ish ALH cars (the one 486 pulled parts off of already). More importantly I overheard the front counter people mention that LKQ would be closing this facility in December and would no longer be bringing any more fresh cars into the yard. :( The positive here is the front counter people definitely have a F*CKIT attitude and are letting parts go for super cheap. I walked out of there last weekend with a bed full of vw parts (manual swap parts, hood, door, hatch, door regulator, SAIP...a bunch of little bits) and only had to lay down $100. Anyway, if anyone is in the market for small odds and ends, I would recommend swinging up there.

(I have no affiliation with John's whatsoever :))

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Anyone have a recommendation for a local machine shop to take my spare block and head to? Looking to have a tq plate/bore/hone done and a head cleanup on my spare ALH.
Any decent engine shop should be able to handle the block, I'd be cautious with the head though. Might be worth shipping it off to Franko6.

I made the mistake of trying an import engine place down in Minneapolis (looks like they are closed now) to rebuild an ALH head. It lasted about 40 miles before the camshaft snapped into 2 pieces. He claimed I torqued down the head wrong and didn't stand behind his work. Well my head from Frank is still going strong over 100k later.

84vw

TDI
2005 Golf
Hi everybody. I have a 2005 golf with the BEW that has pooped right in the bed. Still runs enough to get it from point a to b, but it's not long for this world. I would like to just get a known good replacement long block rather than rebuild what's in there.

Does anyone here have or know of someone with a good BEW for sale?

The car has a manual transmission and 200k miles. The previous owner most likely didn't change oil frequently enough.

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
I know the whole forum praises his work, but I have a friend who had a bad interaction (bad head) and to be honest, I would much rather give a local shop some business. We have a machine shop at work and I can take care of measuring and installing everything, and the only thing the engine shop will be taking care of will be the milling and valve guide install.

Additionally, I was given a recommendation on a shop - Metro Engine in New Brighton and will be using them most likely.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I know the whole forum praises his work, but I have a friend who had a bad interaction (bad head) and to be honest, I would much rather give a local shop some business. We have a machine shop at work and I can take care of measuring and installing everything, and the only thing the engine shop will be taking care of will be the milling and valve guide install.

Additionally, I was given a recommendation on a shop - Metro Engine in New Brighton and will be using them most likely.
yeah, they're who I use, now they're 'dark horse', changed the name to avoid the overflow of work they've been getting

dave does great work if he's the one doing it, had some small troubles when another guy there did the work, but I haven't seen that guy there any more and he's got a new helper.

ETA: oh, and he'll talk with you for quite a while while you're dropping the parts off, real friendly guy.

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
yeah, they're who I use, now they're 'dark horse', changed the name to avoid the overflow of work they've been getting

dave does great work if he's the one doing it, had some small troubles when another guy there did the work, but I haven't seen that guy there any more and he's got a new helper.

ETA: oh, and he'll talk with you for quite a while while you're dropping the parts off, real friendly guy.
And yet another recommendation - I have heard nothing but good things about Dave and his work. Thanks!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hi everybody. I have a 2005 golf with the BEW that has pooped right in the bed. Still runs enough to get it from point a to b, but it's not long for this world. I would like to just get a known good replacement long block rather than rebuild what's in there.

Does anyone here have or know of someone with a good BEW for sale?

The car has a manual transmission and 200k miles. The previous owner most likely didn't change oil frequently enough.
Why are you condemning the entire engine?

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
Update for all on John's Auto Parts. They are closing at the end of the year. Things are going for super cheap, no core charge, etc. I grabbed the BEW block that was there, but left the turbo which was good. Car was in there for piston-valve touchy syndrome. It looks like someone tried to use a 2.0 ABA timing belt on it.

I paid 60 for the block, and my buddy left there with a 6.0 LS and 4L80 for 200.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Coworker has 2002 Beetle TDI with failing 01M. I am thinking of buying it from him. What do you think it is worth? 170,000 miles

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
500-750 bucks if it's still driving, 300 if it isn't driving

got a good EGR code 02j you could have for whatever they're worth. 150?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What are they even worth? haha
Also weren't you southeast of the cities before?

Got the golf parked for the winter, gonna tear into it soon. Made the 0A6 axle shafts too long and they bottom out before the suspension. Oops. Also plan on reworking the turbos to fit the transfer case in there. Might tack on a third. Got an hx40 that would pair up nicely with what's already on there. Oh right, compression ratio's coming down, too. Going to just delip the bowls and round the corner a bit, all with a wood router.

I'm kinda having dirty thoughts of returning the car to stock, though.
Oh well, may look for another one to assume 'backup car' status.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Eh, it's just sitting in my way, 150 seems cheap but w/e if you can use it
I've got junk to do today, I'll be up in ham lake...

I'll PM you a phone number. ETA: guess I'll email, you'll prolly get it quicker.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Hi guys. I have an interesting question. I have a very low mileage gt1749va that I got for free. I am weighing my options for putting it in my 03 Golf alh TDI. If I'm not mistaking, I need an exhaust manifold from a b5 Passat TDI? I have an earlier manifold but the mounting flange is rotated and I cannot mount the turbo this way. Here's the question. Is it possible to pull the guts out of the 1749 and put it on the vnt15 manifold? Kinda need to sort this out as my vnt15 is junk and I need to sell my car. �� Thanks for any help you can offer.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
if you're just selling it don't bother trying to shoehorn the wrong turbo on it, stock turbos go relatively cheap. Hell, I left one in the junkyard almost all the way unbolted a couple months ago.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Don't have a whole lot of time or $$ to work with but I'll look into it. John's auto?. What do ya think this 1749VA is worth? Sub 20k miles on it.

Last edited:
TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
That car is long crushed. It was sorry when I looked at it a month ago, and Johns is closing for good in a week. I pulled the KP39 of the BEW beetle and sold it at that time, unfortunately that would have been a good turbo for you to throw on there.

And if that transmission isn't claimed already, I may be interested. Depends on how this shift tower rebuild goes on my daily. It will save me from pulling a gasser one and seeing what it takes to transfer diesel final drive over.