View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2020, 21:29   #7
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone great replies.

I called the VW dealer and talked to an actual tech (not service writer) and he said the same thing. He knew exactly what I was talking about. They have the same thing that attaches to reservoir. They run the engine and and force fluid in and control and capture coolant from overflow tube. They force 50/50 mix in, let engine run, and keep doing that for a while. Obviously the old and new coolant will mix, but if "flushed long enough" you end up with cleaner refreshed coolant.

I asked the dealer Tech if the wrong stuff was in the system how do you get it all out. He admitted you can't you need to remove hoses. He also acknowledged the PIA design of lower hose half way up the radiator and no drain.

My conclusion - The VW service and what was done at my favorite independent shop is NOT a flush. It's a REFRESH never flushing or removing all of the old stuff just diluting it with new stuff.... That may be adequate for a clean system. However if you want 100% of old stuff out, forget it.

Basically you can achieve the same thing by sicking the reservoir down and refilling it with fresh mix.... repeat periodically. I have 8 liters of 50/50 G13. I am going to do this... it can't hurt and will make me feel better.

The method of removing lower (mid way up) hose and oil cooler hose, putting hoses back, putting in distilled water, run... remove hoses again, reinstall, refill, run, repeat many times until it stays clear.... last time you drain fill with 100% coolant.

There is a market for an aftermarket radiator with a drain plug at the bottom....

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; May 24th, 2020 at 21:41.
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07113 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.65 Kb. compressed to 14.89 Kb. by saving 1.76 Kb. (10.57%)]