Has anyone installed a GTD2872VR yet?

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Has anyone here swapped on the new GTD2872VR turbocharger from Darkside Developments? I'm currently rocking a CR170 on an MK6 Jetta with a stage 3.5 tune, but have issues with it spooling to early and causing turbo surge. Additionally, EGTs have to be watched as it doesn't flow enough air at higher RPMs. I am swapping in a CP3 pump in 5k miles (have to do timing belt then) as I have voided my emissions warranty anyway and don't want to chance the CP4 blowing up. I also plan on installing the stage 2 injectors as well as the darkside S3 intercooler and hard pipes to support the GTD.
I have a couple of questions;
1. At what RPM does it begin to kick in? I know full spool is around 3k RPM, but will it begin to spool around 2200?
2. Any issues with compressor surge?
3. How are EGTs if you've done the stage 2 injectors? (Guessing it's fairly uncommon so far as only a retard like me builds a jetta lol!)
4. How are mpgs? Will I retain the 60mpgs I currently get on highway? (No EGR or DPF)
5. How much worse is the lag than either a stock turbo or cr170?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It would be extremely laggy compared to your current setup. Not very good for a daily driver, imo. Talk to your tuner about the surge, spool, and egt issues. Your tune may be a bit too hot. The turbo actuator rod might also need some adjustment.

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm planning on building for more speed than what the CR170 can support, so I would need a larger turbo anyway. I'm interested in the GTD series as it claims to begin spooling at lower RPM due to a more efficient vane system. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience so far with it. I have driven a mk6 TDI with the older GTB series turbo that was replaced by the GTD, and if it beings spooling a few hundred RPM sooner I will be happy with it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver. Throttle response will be sluggish, and not spooling until 3000 rpm is a bummer outside of a drag strip. For a fully built drag car it's probably awesome.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I just got mine yesterday. Probably won't be put together for at least a month. Real easy to deal with lag. Just run a higher RPM range. Stay one gear lower and the boost will be right there when you need it. Check out that oil return though...

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I did have a bit of surge with my CR170 hybrid. Took a bit to dial in.

https://youtu.be/ZcGXIy0Y0K0

Also, the cr170 does make a bit of heat. I agree with Turbobrick about discussing with your tuner to get it dialed in.

On a side note, I have a GTB2260vklr that is at Bullseye Turbo right now getting the full checkout and is for sale. Proven 267hp to the wheels.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It takes rpm and load to spool up a turbo (especially larger turbos). An oversize turbo can have have decent spool and throttle response when driven at 90%+, but might be a real dog when you just want to do normal street driving. It really all depends on how you intend to use the car.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Travis i see lot of smoke in your future to make this spool anytime soon.
If 2260vklr was smokey ..and spooled as it did, waiting to see this one. Popcorn ready.
Waiting to see if its worth double the money :) , should be at least 50% better than my 2bar @2800rpm smoke free

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Travis i see lot of smoke in your future to make this spool anytime soon.
If 2260vklr was smokey ..and spooled as it did, waiting to see this one. Popcorn ready.
Waiting to see if its worth double the money :) , should be at least 50% better than my 2bar @2800rpm smoke free

A Romania fortune teller. :)

Little smoke doesn't bother me as this isn't a daily driver.

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
That's awesome Travis. Let me know how it goes. I'm looking at doing this in a month or two. I actually went from the stage 3.5 tune to stage 3 due to EGTs. I still do get quite a bit of surge but it's manageable by being gentle on the throttle from 2100 to 2500 rpm.

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the graphs Owain, this is exactly what I was looking for! Looks like I'll be going with the gtd then.

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I meant that I was looking for the graphs, I'm not concerned too badly as it was stated this was with stock injectors. I was looking for more when it starts spooling. 2 Bar at 2500 rpm is more than doable.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a gtb2260 not the Darkside 2872. I very much doubt the 2872 makes 2 bar by 2500 rpm on a 2.0 4 cyl. A 2260 is about as big as I'd want to go on a 2L tdi used as a daily.

Turbski

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
You're right I got my tabs mixed up when looking at the graphs. Did you check out the BEW graph? Looks decent, and I will have stage 2 injectors and CP3 before swapping the CR170 for the GTD.

Edit: Decent from the point of view of spooling, not demand vs. actual.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
This is what i call decent for a daily car with no smoke
A great job right here from Italy. Minimum investment.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
100hp at 2200 rpm is plenty for daily driving

I'd bet mine makes around 70hp at 2k with the oversized compounds, plenty enough to get around. Need more, just shift on the governor.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, with good tuning the gtb2260 can make a nice 4 cyl. daily driver. Especially for those who like to drive aggressively.