2015 TDI Purchase from Dealer - Used w/CPO or New?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'm not sure this is in the correct location within the forum, but will start here (please move it if it belongs in another location).

I am looking to purchase a 2015 Passat TDI Premium. I want to either purchased used from a dealer w/CPO, or new. Either will already have Phase 1 emission fixes done and most likely would not qualify for the 1/3rd restitution when Phase 2 is completed.

Keeping purchase cost out of the equation, is there any reason to value one option over the other (used vs. new)?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Warranty (which could cut both directions)? Service life? Available incentives?

The new certainly would not qualify for the 1/3 restitution. The CPO, if it had gone through the buyback, also wouldn't. If the CPO hadn't gone through the buyback (i.e., if it had been a normal trade-in from a particularly stupid previous owner), it might.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I was keeping purchase cost out of the analysis - and incentives are purchase cost involved, but for $35k MSRP vehicles that are now 3 years old, with I think a VW incentive of $5k off the MSRP (which some dealers are not applying to their asking cost), new asking prices I think are high. But the dwindling availability for good used 2015 TDI's are causing used asking prices to be high as well. The market doesn't seem to be walking away from VW dealers after this emissions issue as much as I thought it would.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It'd be the same with any car regardless if its an oil burner or gasser.

Assess the condition of the car, review maintenance records, take it for a test drive on the highway for a good amount, and then go from there.

Dealers have and always will try and get ever red cent for every car on the lot, its kinda their job, your's is to drive the car off the lot at a price you are happy with.

one thing you have in your favor is willing to look a multiple dealers over 1000's of miles away, local joe blow may have the only SEL 6Spd manual in the county but tim bob may have two on the lot the next state over.

We valued owning a '15 NOS with 60 miles on over any sort of deal they were willing to offer on a '17 TSI, not sure if the wife would want a "gently used" car anyways shes kinda like that.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Get a CPO. You can usually get 1.50% rate (we did), your tax and cost will be lower, and you'll get bumper to bumper to 60K miles (last 2/24 will be a 50.00 deductible however)

Two weeks ago we bought a 2015 CPO golf SE, DSG 20K miles, with lighting package. We paid 16,700 and got 1.5% financing. The little car looks like new. It came with good service records. This was a car that 2 years ago stickered for nearly 29K, and probably sold for 26K.

If you want an EA288 TDi, the time is now. Low mileage cars are getting harder and harder to find already. You may have a few holdouts at the end with low miles getting bought back, but I doubt you'll see many. Most are in the 40K mileage range. I wanted one with 10K on it, but this wa the color, trim, and exactly what I wanted for an excellent price.

As for post fix MPG? Well I can only go on the MFI, but at 3/8 of a tank left, I have ~400 miles on the trip odo, and an indicated since refill of 48.5. That won't hold as the traffic gets worse this week, however, its better than any tank I ever saw in my EA288 wagon. YMMV.