Renewal registration blocked in FL

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

Did any of you in other states including FL get blocked from renewal for your TDI vehicle? I am getting concerned.... may it be related to the emission scandal? FL dont have emission testing at all. It dont make sense...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Each and every recall can have an effect. Considering that the majority of states have waived the right to refuse registration for not doing, specifically, 'the fix', does not in any way preclude other recalls from being required. They should be able to give you the specific recall number they feel is outstanding, and you can determine what it is from there . . .

And whether a state tests or not really is irrelevant to any of this . . .

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
From what I've read in the "DieselGate" forum, any state that accepted money from the emissions cheating settlement with VW is prohibited from blocking registration renewals on affected TDIs whose owners elect "to do nothing" (no fix, no buyback). That said, I don't know if FL is one of those states. They could as easily be blocking you for some other recall.

I'd think that if they're going to refuse to renew your registration that they'd have to at least explain what the issue is, so you can at least make an effort to get compliant. Have you inquired with DMV as to what exactly the problem is?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
FL took settlement money - so it can't be the recalls related to this (the fixes).

However - as stated - you could have OTHER recalls, the DMV should be able to tell you WHY they refused. And if what they are holding you on IS settlement related - it's time to hold their feet to the fire.

Renee

TDI
2004 Jetta
04 TDI BEW Calif renewal denied as of Sept for antique 28F6 glow plug recall notice

commie CA just caused my renewal to be dependent on the stealer...eh Dealer doing the 28F6 glow plug flash. I found a good solution back in 2010 real steel tipped glow plugs to replace the ceramic ones. I paid my fees just no tags could be issued.......I currently do not have a "smog check" required in the county where I live. I am afraid of the reflash as the car runs just fine even in freezing temps. I remember the debacle.......any ideas? solutions?
Renée

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Does the reflash effectively remove a tune?
That would be a problem.

Last edited:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
You're not going to have much of a choice. The certificate can only be issued by a dealer with the dealer stamp. It's an orange colored certificate that will list your serial number and the recall done, in this case the glow plugs. Yes, it will overwrite any tune. I had mine done last month and things went fine.

Renee

TDI
2004 Jetta
I live in commie CA ( with the fruits and nuts and well....issues) in September 2017 CA stated they would not renew mine due to glow plug recall.....I already devised a solution way back when the ceramic plugs were known to be an issue. I had installed non-stock stainless glow plugs and changed the wiring connectors...it worked great to -10F no issues!...I even wrote VW and let them know the solution..nary a peep but they did reimburse me for the plugs I used!!...CA said I had to go to the stealer even though I had proof of a correction was done and VW reimbursed me for the parts! So... went to the dealer and they did their thing ...car did not seem to run as well as it did before.

I did buy another 'puter and had a gentleman in TX...hmmm was Marin.--- flash to same level, immo off, tune stage 2 with egr off and provide pin for original ECU.

I have not had a chance to put the original back in to compare....but is seems better.
next is to fix/change the driver seat to something comfortable!
Renée