2004 TDI BEW glow plugs

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Cant say - not that I'd ever buy anything from rockauto (see signature). There were multiple versions on the BEW depending on what level of recall was performed. You need to know which is correct for your specific car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There was a recall (or TSB) to switch from one voltage to another. They flashed the ECU and changed the plugs. So you may want to call the dealer or otherwise find out you which plug (5v or 7v) yours wants. Simpler is to pull one and put the same back in.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
There was actually 3 TSB's/recalls for the BEW glow plugs. You also can't go by what's in there either as some dealers flashed the ECU but didn't change the Go's.

What I did was disconnect the coolant temp sensor and checked voltage at the start of the GP cycle. Mine flashed 7v for about a second, the tapered off. I installed 7v NGK ceramics and start just fine in 8*F weather.

There is also a way to check your ECU software revision with VCDS, but I can't remember the details...

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
If you have 7v programming that is the correct plug. if the car starts well in the cold now (or before the plug failed) and what you pull out is a 7v plug that one is correct.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I show that part number as fitting the engine after the BEW, the BRM. Not the same plug. Your car either has 5v plugs (N10591607), or 7v ceramic, (N10591609). Best way to find out what you need is, as others have suggested, pull a plug and look, or call a local dealer with your VIN and find out what glow plug recalls have been performed on the car. They can then tell you what voltage the ECU is flashed for and what plugs to use.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
Yes it’s a BRM plug.
My understanding (from dealer buying by VIN and reading here) is that the 109 was the correct 7v plug. Vw changed to the 108 for the BRM but was comparable in BEW so they sell one part for both. Slight difference in length.
I’ve had both 108 and 109 in my 2006 (BEW wagon) car that never had any recalls done.

Last edited: