Newbie Sportwagen owner in DC Area - Silver Spring

JBinDC

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Hey All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking here since shopping for my new V'Dub - recently purchased from DARCARS VW in College Park, MD. This is my first brand new car (I usually buy used, but found it hard to find a low mileage used TDI ), first TDI, and first Dub I've owned since having a 1988 VW Fox Coupe' - perhaps thee most reliable car I ever had - 236,000 miles before it blew up on me! Was sooo long ago, but I still miss that car...

Anyway, looking forward to meeting any of y'all from the DC area. I do enjoy learning about what I'm driving, and will gladly help wrench on a car if I have time. So if anyone local is having a mini-meet, car clinic, etc., please don't hesitate to send me a shout out!

I drive all over the DC area for work sellin homes - hence the less than stellar city mileage seen below. Sure beats fillin my ole Saab 9-5 Aero with Premium though! I do miss driving that car - but NOT the fill ups!

Hope to catch up with some of you sometime, and if you ever have a MD DC or Northern VA Real Estate need, I'm always happy to help! Proceeds of sales go to fund my car-o-holic habits. Plus Daddy needs some H&R's & 18's! :p

All the best!

SANman

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Nice... I bought my Jetta Sportwagen on Friday, 5/7 at Alexandria VW. But, I live in North Carolina. Drove up just to get the deal I wanted. Good luck!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Welcome to the forums. :cool:

You should come out to Impex Fest in Cockeysville, MD this Saturday. There's a thread about it in the Eastern GTG Forum.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
JBinDC said:
Hey All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking here since shopping for my new V'Dub - recently purchased from DARCARS VW in College Park, MD. This is my first brand new car (I usually buy used, but found it hard to find a low mileage used TDI ), first TDI, and first Dub I've owned since having a 1988 VW Fox Coupe' - perhaps thee most reliable car I ever had - 236,000 miles before it blew up on me! Was sooo long ago, but I still miss that car...

Anyway, looking forward to meeting any of y'all from the DC area. I do enjoy learning about what I'm driving, and will gladly help wrench on a car if I have time. So if anyone local is having a mini-meet, car clinic, etc., please don't hesitate to send me a shout out!

I drive all over the DC area for work sellin homes - hence the less than stellar city mileage seen below. Sure beats fillin my ole Saab 9-5 Aero with Premium though! I do miss driving that car - but NOT the fill ups!

Hope to catch up with some of you sometime, and if you ever have a MD DC or Northern VA Real Estate need, I'm always happy to help! Proceeds of sales go to fund my car-o-holic habits. Plus Daddy needs some H&R's & 18's! :p

All the best!
Greetings! I bought my Golf TDI at CPVW two days ago. I have never owned a VW before, but my dad drives a 2001 Jetta TDI. I traded in my 2006 Pontiac GTO on this car. Man I miss her already...But like you I don't miss filling her up! I commute from Frederick to College Park everyday. 100 mile roundtrip...yikes.

I see you work for Keller Williams...my mom is a realtor for Exit Realty in Germantown. She quarterbacked the deal I got on my house in Frederick. My fiance came this close to working for Keller Williams but ultimately decided to work for Edward Jones investments in Rockville.

Hope to meet y'all soon.

JBinDC

TDI
2010 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen
SANman, where in NC are you? My in-laws are in Cary and we go there about once a quarter. Nice Candy White btw! Funny thing is I almost picked that color in College Park, and my Salsa Red one actually came from your dealer! hehe

RPS99SHO - I'm in Fredneck often, since lots of my Govt Foreclosure inventory's up that way. LOTS of TDI's up there fer sure! I'm curious what your thoughts are on College Park DARCARS - I ask because the wife and I are LESS than impressed. They jacked up our VW financing, and although our credit is fine, they have my $11K downpayment and have yet to send me a coupon book over the past month and a half! Paper tag's about to fall off from all the rain, and no one can source our new tags. Bitter...

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! --jb

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
JBinDC said:
- I'm in Fredneck often, since lots of my Govt Foreclosure inventory's up that way. LOTS of TDI's up there fer sure! I'm curious what your thoughts are on College Park DARCARS - I ask because the wife and I are LESS than impressed. They jacked up our VW financing, and although our credit is fine, they have my $11K downpayment and have yet to send me a coupon book over the past month and a half! Paper tag's about to fall off from all the rain, and no one can source our new tags. Bitter...
Sorry, just saw this reply. :eek:

I had a wonderful experience there. I was actually dealing directly with the owner of the dealership. He has a BEAUTIFUL GT-R. But, he knew that I had done my homework. I knew what I should be paying for the car (~$22g), I knew what my trade-in was worth (~$12,500, 2006 GTO 80k miles) and I knew where my monthly payment should be with the rate that I knew I qualified for (~$200/month 4% APR). So there was no room for them to dick around with me. Plus being a UMD employee he knocked $500 of the sale price. No issue with tags as I transfered them from the GTO over to the TDI (custom tags [BURNOUT] that I did not want to get rid of as homage to the GTO that I loved so much). As far as bringing my car back for anything else, I don't think I will as that dealership is kinda shady-looking. Also it helps that I live 30 seconds from Fitzgerald VW in Frederick and I had heard good things about them.

Last edited: