Hurricane Matthew dropped a tree on my TDIs!

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Hurricane Matthew snapped a tree in our yard. Wouldn't you know it, it fell on both TDI's and the edge of the garage. The tree is resting on my (live) electric supply wire, so I can't get to the tree until the local power company replaces the wire. It doesn't look too bad, but I'll have to wait a few days to see exactly what got damaged.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Bummer, looks like the wire is holding the tree off the cars a bit.

I came though Jacksonville yesterday 10/9 morning. We saw some storm damage, and then a bit more on up through Georgia and south Carolina. Not a tremendous amount but we didn't go over to the coast either. We spent the storm in the Ocala area, a little rain, a little wind and a whole lot of people buying everything in sight the day before the storm hit.

I've never seen anything quite like it. Not even when we have a huge snowstorm up north here. There were lines for everything the day before. Even Dunkin Donunts had a line out the door, I'm not sure if you can stock up on brewed coffee or not, but folks sure seemed to be giving it their best shot.

Hope nothing else was damaged.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Oh no! Sorry to see and hear about your bad luck! UGH! That picture makes my stomach sick! I hate seeing good TDI's in such distress.

Do you have full coverage on the cars? If not, your home owners insurance should cover your damage (If said tree was on your property).

Whatever you do, don't let the insurance company total them out. If they do, please tell them you want to retain the cars for salvage. It may cost you $500-$1000 per car to keep them, but someone (including myself) would be interested in them!

Hope all goes well, and keep us posted!

I used to live in Kings Bay, Ga. 25 years ago (US Marine stationed at the Naval Sub Base).
Do you know if that area sustained any damage?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hopefully they aren't damaged too badly. It'd be a shame to lose two Mk4s.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Still waiting for the power company to sort out the power wire. I can't do anything until it's moved. I don't think they will be totaled, but I'll retain them if they do. Once the tree is moved, I can get a better look. From what I can see, the Golf may only have minor damage. The tree looks to be resting on the A post of the Jetta, I can't tell much more. I was advised to not get to close as there is an electrocution hazard.

This area, including Kings Bay, didn't get a lot of damage. Some flooding near the coast and along some rivers and lots of trees down, etc. Further South and up in the Carolina's where it made landfall the damage was worse. All things considered, it wasn't that bad. Hopefully the cars are repairable.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, lets hope that the cars aren't too damaged! As far as being totaled, you would be surprised at what some adjusters for insurance companies consider "Totaled"!

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
We finally got the power sorted and the tree down. I took the Jetta to the adjuster and they gave me what I consider a fair amount for the damage. However, I'm thinking I may just take the money and put it towards another wagon. Depends on what I can find. The Golf wasn't as bad, it will be repaired, it should go to the body shop in the next week or so.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Well that sucks to see 2 great MKIV cars damaged.:(

Hopefully you can get them fixed and back on the road asap.:)

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
If they total the wagon, see what they will charge you to buy it back for salvage. I would be interested in it! Looks like its just cosmetic damage, right?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
As long as the sunroofs seal, looks like it's just cosmetic damage. Might even be able to have a dent guy massage those things back out.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
If they total the wagon, see what they will charge you to buy it back for salvage. I would be interested in it! Looks like its just cosmetic damage, right?
It was not totaled. Not sure exactly what will happen but if it goes up for sale, I'll post here.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
Found a replacement for the Jetta Wagon. It's a 2003, ALH automatic. I'll be swapping the 6 speed from the silver car along with a few other things. It may be a bit as I want to finish the Golf first.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Another thought would be fix the wagon and shave the roof rails. Always liked that look.