Help, I think I may have blown my head gasket

vonbuj

TDI
2006 Beetle
I drive a 2006 TDI Beetle and was driving home from work and heard a pop then the car had a whole lot less power, limp mode? Took car to VW stealership and they said that the air Intake Flap Motor was bad , was stuck in the closed position and this caused the crankcase pressure to rise and blow oil out of the oil filler cap. They said $750 would fix it I said no way and I took the car. Had a friend send me a used but good Intake Flap Motor , installed it but the same problem. Left the battery disconnected all night to see if the car would reset itself and get out of LIMP mode but nothing changed when I reconnected the battery in the morning, still very little power. Drove car home from friend’s garage 40 miles on low power and the car used 1 qt low (no oil coming out of oil cap). Jacked up car to check actuator rod and it moves freely. Had friend rev car up and I watched the actuator rod to see if it moved and it didn't. Also noticed the hole back of engine was coated with oil. Engine sounds a lot louder then normal.

Any advice would be welcome as I drive the car for a living as a computer service tech and really need to get it back running right. Thanks for your help

1963gp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf TDI tech edition modified and converted to GTD, 2003TDI Jetta Smith p/u conversion, 1987 Syncro Westy TDI conversion, 1967 Westy TDI AHU. 1995 EuroCamper TDI Syncro, 2014 Cayanne Diesel TDI, 2004 V10 TDI Touareg.
check the intercooler hoses.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
check the intercooler hoses.
+1 It's exactly what you're describing, check the hose from the turbo hasn't come off or burst. It goes from there to an intercooler which looks like a small radiator then it goes back up to the intake manifold. Just follow the big fat pipe.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Head gasket is WAAAAAAAAY down the list of failure, so put that one on the shelf.

Just for grins, you may want to pull the valve cover and take a look at things under there looking at the cam profiles and followers.

And look at the intake hoses from the turbo to the intake.

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
The E-asv fail all the time on bew,s . did the upper ic hose blow off . headgasket . serious . dealer . whitedog is the doggie collar man . i run 38 psi at wot and never have just blown a gskt. your gotta get that thing real hot ! R

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I would hope it doesn't need a doggie collar. If it does and the dealer missed that, then... well, I'm sure anyone can miss something so obvious.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Just a thought but you best check your turbo hasn't split in two aswell, I have seen that on here and it can sound the same.