TPMS on the '16 Touareg

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Planning on getting a second set of wheels for winter use.

Got some 18" wheels and now researching tires.

Q1: Does traction control require TPMS?
Q2: if Q1 does not - can TPMS monitoring be disabled?
Q3: Does anyone have a good source for TPMS modules?

Thanks...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Do your wheels have sensors in them now?

If so, you can get a second set of sensors for the other wheels OR transfer the sensors over.

I ask because sometimes there are differences with USA and Canadian spec, but I believe the T'reg here still got stuck with the stupid sensors, not wheel speed like the smaller cars went back to, unfortunately.

Traction control has nothing to do with TPMS.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe they have sensors in the wheels.

I bought a second set of wheels - so I was looking to find some sensors without breaking the bank (at first I thought I would be spending as much per sensor as I did the rims).

I wasn't going to settle for turning off the dash portion of TPMS (even though I'm diligent enough to manually monitor my tire pressure). Neither was I going to waste my time getting tire changeovers from summer to winter and back.

Thought I saw or heard from someplace that traction control had some feedback from TPMS - so I was being careful.

oilhammer

TDI
Well not to sound blunt, but if the purchase of an extra set of TPMS sensors "breaks your bank", then I've got some terrible news for you.... you have a T'reg in the driveway. They have a habit of trying to break banks. :eek:

I can buy new Huf German sensors for that for $64 apiece, which is not all that bad (some are over $200 each). Not sure about where you are, but look around you can probably find some similar.

The appetite these things have for tires will make the cost of an extra set of sensors seem trivial to me.

Alligator is also a brand that often has some compatible sensors, but probably not going to be much less than $64. That is pretty cheap given almost everything on a T'reg is crazy expensive.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I guess the term break the bank isn't really my concern. I just didn't want to pay as much for each TPMS compared to the rims. I found set of four sensors for $140USD...

I did manage to find rims at $195CAD each.... some of the ones I looked at were closer to $550CAD+ each.

oilhammer

TDI
Should be 433 MHz, and usually the sensors will say that.

There are some other VAG products that use 315 MHz, but pretty sure all the newer ones are 433.

Last edited:

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be 433 MHz, and usually the sensors will say that.

There are some other VAG products that use 315 MHz, but pretty sure all the newer ones are 433.
I did a lot of research before I ordered. I did discover that the TReg (specifically for the '16) needed the 433MHz sensors.

That much I found out - but research and reading doesn't prove the actuality of it working... Now I have to wait for when I buy the rubber for the rims that these are going on - in order to prove it works.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
I've been running a set of winter tires with no TPMS sensors for the past three years. I am waiting for the tires to wear out, but it looks like I will have one more season on them. I have a set of used sensors waiting to go on once the original winter tires wear out.

I personally have not figured out how to disable the TPMS on this vehicle. It gives me a warning signal for 5 months out of the year, but otherwise has no impact on how the car drives.

As for winter tires, I'd recommend the Nokian SUV 8. They perform extremely well and have lasted three long seasons with 6mm still left on the tread. At the end of next season, I will probably just remove the studs and run them one additional summer season. By contrast, the OE Pirelli summer tires, which have fewer overall miles on them, are shot at 55,000 miles/2 (approximately due to 1/2 season hanging on the wall).

Note that the roads in my area are pretty harsh on tires, and my Jetta barely gets 30,000 miles out of a set of 80,000 mile Michelins. They wear evenly, and are warranted without issue, but disappear before my eyes. So take that for what it's worth when I bash the Pirellis

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been eyeing up something in the Nokian Hakkapeliitta lineup.. . I've always been very happy with the winter performance... I've used other brands that reflect the price... which is 1-1/2 seasons of use. However, I'm a high mileage guy and tend to rack up 5000km+ in a month easily.