Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I mean this in the best way possible..

Dude, you suck!! :D

Soooo Jealous!

Red Dog

TDI
VW Beetle
Hey all-
My bug has started making a ca-chunk noise when making sharp turns. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for help.

Dcell- I like your new toy. Sorry to here about job. To say the least, it isa short commute to work now.

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Ball joint or tie rod end? Maybe a strut mount? Jack up the front end and see if you can feel or see any extra play in any of those spots. Just grab onto the wheel and see what moves.

TheBullwinkle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Reddog- I agree with DCELL. Raise the vehicle up and grab the tire at 9 and 3 and see if there is any play. Normally with your hands in this position you would find a tie rod issue. Move you hands to 12 and six and check for play that way too. This would typically identify a balljoint issue. I am in Kokomo and may be able to help out later this week if needed.

DCELL-Thats awesome!!! and Growler is right, you suck.

Red Dog

TDI
VW Beetle
Thanks DCELL and BullWinkle --

I checked the two different ways. I have no play at 12 and 6. I have maybe 1/8" play in the 9 and 3. So I guess it is a tie rod issue. Is there a way to tell if the problem is the inner or outer tie rod end, or just replace both? Any tips for handling the problem?

TheBullwinkle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I just did mine when I did the struts and wheel bearing earlier this year. It really takes two people to be able to identify inner or outer. One to move the wheel and the other to look for which part is moving. I just did a wheel bearing on a 2002 Silohoutte that had a small amount of play at the 9 and 3 position so if the tie rods look ok it could be a bearing issue.

Tie rods are pretty straight forward. Loosen the jamb nut where the inner/outer connect. Just break it free but don't move the nut from it orginal position. Remove the nut at the knuckle(air makes it easier, if its not available you may have to hold the the tie rod stud with an allen wrench). The tie rod is conical shaped and may need some persuasion to remove it from the knuckle. When you remove the tie rod you should count the threads as you take it off so that you can insttall the new one at the same spot(The jamb nut will do this for you as long as the tie rods are identical.) I ordered my tie rod from Idparts and it wasn't indentical. The inner is cake although a rental tool from AutoZone is needed. It is an "inner tie rod tool" that can reach the nut at the steering rack. It unscrews from the rack and it will probably be the easiest part of the repair.

One one side of my car the tie rods were seized together and I could not get them to seperate. I had to cut cut the inner tie rod in order to get the outer tie rod off. It wasn't a big deal just wasn't expecting to have to do it that way.

I recommend an alignment afterwards just for piece of mind. If the tie rods are identical it may not be necessary but skipping the alignment could be costly if it ruins your tires.

grubbyfrozen

TDI
2002 Jetta Red, 02 silver Jetta 5 speed
Need to learn how to do timing belt change.

Long time reader of Fred's, but do not post often. Have 2 02 Jettas and both will be needing timing belt sometime in year or year and half. Anyone willing to let me watch how it is done??? Last time done by Greg in Fortville? did both and as I understand no longer doing timing belts.
red jetta 130K
silver jetta 150K
Location is Amboy IN and where is that you ask. Half way between Marion and Kokomo.

Al

Last edited:

Red Dog

TDI
VW Beetle
Grubby-

I would asks Growler(vendor) on the board. He is good and has wrench will travel. If you ask nicely he might do both of them at once.

Bullwinkle--

Thanks for the info. Now just need to find the time to do it.

BigJare

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Indy Timing Belt Tools?

Hey Guys new to the TDI scene. I bought an 02 Beetle TDI that is ready for a timing belt. Anyone have loaner/rental tools in Indy (or nearby)?

TheBullwinkle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Headed to Disney with my little ones. Some think it's crazy in a 200k vehicle...hoping for some crazy MPGs.

Later,

Joe

Red Dog

TDI
VW Beetle
Bullwinkle-

Good Luck w/ Fuel mileage. I hope you find good fuel prices on the road. I just came back Wisconsin where fuel was as low a $3.89 great price compare to $4.29.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Can bus

do any of you guys own the can-bus version of vcds? Wifes passat is due for rear brakes but my vcds will not set basic settings for parking brake controller.
Thanks in advance!

Fusee

TDI
2002 Jetta gls
I have HEX-USB cable...don't know if it will do. I live in Pendleton and work in Westfield. If you want to borrow it for a day or two you are welcome.

Matt

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Indy- I think the Micro Can will work for me. I have a HEX-USB, and it will not communicate with can bus. I need to do these brakes in the next few weeks so I'll let you know! Thanks!

Phoneguy78

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hey guys, I'm up in Fishers and work downtown. Anyone replace their glow plugs? I am thinking I need to do mine. throwing codes for 3 of the 4. was looking at some of the other post on the site and it looks pretty easy. Just want your guys opinion. Thanks

indy_tdi

TDI
2006 Jetta, 5sp
Replaced one of mine during the winter. Took more time to gather tools than to do the deed. 13mm socket (IIRC) and a torque wrench 11 ft-lbs. Pull the boot connectors off and replace. Visually I could not see a problem with the dead GP. I did swap the suspected GP for another and the code followed, so I replaced just that one. I found them at Auto Zone and the other parts stores for $19. But chicked out and got one from the Falcone ($41). Now, this is not an endorsement (especially in light of their treatment to one of our own) of Falcone but they were ALOT cheaper than Tom Wood who wanted north of $65 (and would not meet Falcone's price) Since Falcone is not open on Saturdays, I waited until Monday night.
On edit: Just noticed yours is a MK4 - double check the torque specs for your engine - I bet DCELL will know them

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I've replaced dozens over the years on my tdis, they are easy provided they were not overtorqued the last time they were changed. Your socket needs to be a quality 6pt deep well. Not sure on torque spec. You can use a basic $10 multimeter to test the plugs individually for resistance ohms. If your car is an ALH (03 should be) I have plugs in stock in my garage if you want to shoot up to Noblesville sometime. send me a PM.
if you want to buy them and do it yourself, do yourself a favor and order from (aaron) bleachedbora. boraparts.com good price, high quality, quick ship, etc. Be aware that cyls 3 and 4 doesn't always mean those are the bad plugs, in my experience. Test them individually or get a set and replace them all. It will save you time, aggravation, and wear and tear on your bridge harness. IMHO it is not worth doing one at a time, unless you like looking at your CEL. OK, rant is over.

Phoneguy78

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Cool, I will test them and see if the are bad. I saw Wingnuts how to on them and it was pretty good. I am just glad that I don't have the ceramic ones. Thanks for the replies. Also I was looking at the local box stores and saw a lot of differnt plugs. I figure Bosch is prob factory, but there were some NGK one that were a little cheaper. Is one beter than the other or would I just be paying for the bosch name?

Phoneguy78

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI
wow, just checked out the price at that site. You are right that is a great price. I have a lot of trips coming up soon ( Flying) so since it is nice outside and well above freezing will it hurt anything to order the plugs and swap them out in a few weeks when I have the time? BUt maybe I am getting ahead of myself, guess I should check them first.

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Coat the threads of the glowplug with antiseize compound. These plugs have a habit of getting difficult to get out and then breaking! Makes for a lousy day.