2000 Golf Timing Belt Replacement

tedhaas

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
I have been searching through the timing belt posts (there are a ton) but I have not found one that answers my question. I have a 2000 Golf TDI 5 speed. I am the original owner and all of the maintenance (that I can't do) has been performed by Walker Volkswagon of Montpelier Vermont. I know there a lot of dealer horror stories but Walker has taken good care of my car for its first 118K miles. The timing belt has been replaced at 40k and 80k miles per the owner's manual and I am rapidly approaching the 120k mark. I know the newer cars have 100k mile intervals for the timing belts and I see there are some differences in the components that are used for the longer intervals. My question is, if the newer components are used, will the interval become 100k miles. Of course the second part of the question is what would the dealer use? Do the older parts still exist or have they been superceded but the newer versions. Thanks in advance. This forum has been a great help over the years as I have needed to diagnose problems.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
I don't know if the dealers are still using the older parts, but the parts numbers listed on your invoices are the key to figuring out what's in your car. If they have used the newer idler and belt (maybe tensioner as well was updated, not sure), there is nothing about the car which requires the shorter interval.

My understanding was that the early interval for cars with manual transmission was 60K, 40K for the automatic trans. The automatic trans cars had a larger injection pump which was apparently harder on the TB components.

If you go back into some of those posts with part numbers, someone will have laid out which numbers are for the longer intervals.

Here, better yet, Aaron's website has it all laid out for you. There's a good description of the differences in TB interval and the list of all the parts, with dealer part numbers, for you to compare to your previous invoices. boraparts.com

Fred

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Most of the times, the dealers will not use the 100K parts, because your car does not call for it. Nor will they replace all the rollers or the stretch bolts.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
tedhaas said:
I have a 2000 Golf TDI 5 speed.

The timing belt has been replaced at 40k and 80k miles per the owner's manual and I am rapidly approaching the 120k mark.
Hey, Ted! Welcome aboard! How is the snow this year :)

Let's see, 2000 VW Jetta TDIs with the MANual gearbox have a 60,000 mile interval, not 40. I'd say you're good to go for a while.

Cheers :)

tedhaas

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
dieseldorf, the snow has been pretty good so far this year. One question on the interval, my owner's manual says 40k miles and it does not differentiate for manual or automatic. Where does the 60k mile interval come from?
Thanks

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
dieseldorf said:
Hey, Ted! Welcome aboard! How is the snow this year :)

Let's see, 2000 VW Jetta TDIs with the MANual gearbox have a 60,000 mile interval, not 40. I'd say you're good to go for a while.

Cheers :)
Welcome Ted-
sounds like the dealership was changing TBs a bit early. $$$$
You should just now be ready for the second replacement with the OEM parts, or would have 40K to go if the upgraded parts had been used.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tedhaas said:
Where does the 60k mile interval come from?
Model year 2000:

• 40,000 mile interval is for cars with the automatic transmission
  • 60,000 mile interval is for cars with the MANual transmission
I'm not certain where to tell you to find it in writing, but the above is correct.

(Could there be a footnote or something in the Owner's Manual addressing this?)

Th automatic cars have a larger FI pump that places a great load on that belt and that's the reason it gets changed earlier.

You can certainly upgrade to the 100k mile kit when you're ready.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
tedhaas said:
... Where does the 60k mile interval come from?
Thanks
That was something that came along about 2001 or possibly not until 2002. Originally, for my 2000, the only thing you could find that was definitive, was a measurement of the width of the timing belt. There was a minimum number. That and observation of the belt condition during your 10k mile service visit.

Trying to get a simple yes or no out of VWoA for anything like that was (still is, really) like finding hen's teeth.

tedhaas

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
I dug out my invoice from my 80k (2nd) timing belt change and it lists the following parts:
038-109-119-D tooth belt
038-121-011-AX water pump
038-109-243-N roller

From the parts list in the timing belt how-to it appears I have the old style belt and the new tensioner. Is this good for 60k miles between changes? Note they did the water pump because I requested it. Looks like none of the other suggested parts were changed as is expected for a dealer repair I guess.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ted, here's a foto of the ALH kit and all the components:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You might want to contact forum brother Dale Newton...he's in VT, Marshfield, IIRC, and possibly refer you to somebody in the state that's up to the task.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
tedhaas said:
I dug out my invoice from my 80k (2nd) timing belt change and it lists the following parts:
038-109-119-D tooth belt
038-121-011-AX water pump
038-109-243-N roller
No mention of bolts being replaced? You are a luck driver.

Since the dealer was changing the belt 20,000 miles early, do you still feel that they have been taking proper care of you? They may be nice folks, but if they are causing you to spend more money than is needed, do you really want to continue to give them your business?

Throw in that they probably won't change all of the parts that typically fail (bolts, rollers) then you really have to look at if you are better off going elsewhere.

tedhaas

TDI
2000 Golf TDI
whitedog,
Yes, I am starting to realize they are costing me extra money. I had found a good general VW mechanic locally but was not sure I wanted to trust him with a timing belt replacement. I took dieseldorf's suggestion and tracked down Dale Newton and got pointed to Full Circle Automotive in Waitsfield, VT. I had previously seen Full Circle in the trusted mechanics by state list. I plan to stop by and discuss bringing my TDI up to date. Thanks again for all the advice. I have been lurking for years. Looks like if I had posted sooner I could have saved some money.