beetle to jetta parts interchange?

Jetdi Knight

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
hey guys- looks like I am going to replace my 2002 tdi jetta with a 1999 tdi beetle. Are the engines a direct interchange? What about the trannys? Can I take the intake manifold off of my banged up jetta and clean it up and install it on that beetle to minimze downtime?

BTW, what milage drop is there to be expected between a 2002 jetta and a 99 beetle assuming both are stock?

As always thank you knidly to the veedub community, you guys beat carfax anyday!!!

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
hey guys- looks like I am going to replace my 2002 tdi jetta with a 1999 tdi beetle. Are the engines a direct interchange? What about the trannys? Can I take the intake manifold off of my banged up jetta and clean it up and install it on that beetle to minimze downtime?

BTW, what milage drop is there to be expected between a 2002 jetta and a 99 beetle assuming both are stock?

As always thank you knidly to the veedub community, you guys beat carfax anyday!!!
are you swapping engines or swapping cars? they are both alh engines i think,

Jetdi Knight

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I replaced my written off 2002 jetti TDI with a 1999 Beetle TDI. I am most likely going to end up with my 02 jetta and am wondering if all of the engine parts are interchangeable... ie. can I take the intake manifold off of the jetta and clean it out and bolt it on to the beetle? what about pump parts if needed? I will probably keep the engine and trans and try to resale some parts out of the rest of the jetta if there is intrest but I gotta finalize with the insurance first.

wandlc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB GLS TDI
I had the opposite of you 4 years ago, totaled Beetle bought 02 Jetta to replace the Beetle. I have used many parts from the Beetle on my Jetta. I actually like how the hoses were run on the Beetle and used the parts to run the same in my Jetta.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The basic engines and transmissions are very similar, but the auxiliary pieces - intake air hoses and shifting linkages - are different.

The shifting mechanism on the 2002 is far easier to live with (and adjust) than the 1999, so you may wish to strip out the entire shifting mechanism - which includes the shifter box inside the cabin, as well as the cables and transmission from the 2002.

Good luck,

Yuri

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I was wondering if the front hubs with the bearing from a 2000 beetle will work on a 2000 jetta tdi
a good way to tell is to look up both parts online and compare the part numbers. if they are different part numbers, then, no... they will not work, not with out a lot of work usually. thanks for reviving a 7 year old thread for that. Right as VW has officially just made it legit that the bug is no longer going to be made. Kinda like the McRib.... oh god i need one right now...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yes i do, i had a McRib this last fall. they are just as horible as they were back in 90's tasteless pressed fiberboard covered is poor mans bbq

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Engine, front and rear suspension, transmission, almost every part under the hood with the exception of some hoses and the radiator might be smaller, I’m not sure on that one. Lots of parts to be used.