TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
I bought mine 05/29/12 and I believe the build date was 30 days prior if i remember correctly. Havent had my car for a few weeks so I cant check right now.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are any of you guys experiencing the traditional turbo death whine (siren sound) before failure or is it just an instant snap?

kilroy

TDI
2012 Passat
2012 passat, turbo failed about 2 weeks after my 10,000 mi. service..(oil change) failed Jan. 22. In NW Pa. , coldest weather this year, about 5 degrees. The part just came in from Germany...17 days still don't have my car back. An area rep. was actually at the dealership when mine was towed in. He waited around for the verdict on my car, said this was the 5th turbo failure he's seen in his area. This kind of negates all my boasting about great fuel mileage.

HammerTDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual
No death whine here, just pressed on the accelerator and had nothing.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
2012 passat, turbo failed about 2 weeks after my 10,000 mi. service..(oil change) failed Jan. 22. In NW Pa. , coldest weather this year, about 5 degrees. The part just came in from Germany...17 days still don't have my car back. An area rep. was actually at the dealership when mine was towed in. He waited around for the verdict on my car, said this was the 5th turbo failure he's seen in his area. This kind of negates all my boasting about great fuel mileage.
Sorry about your car. Could you possibly provide the "requested info" from the original post.

Thanks

hellandj

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Talked to dealer today and asked more detail about how my turbo failed. Tech said it was a manufacturing defect and the shaft actually broke. They said they are still waiting for the new turbo to ship from Germany.

Also I asked if they have had any other failures like this they said VoA told them there had been 4 documented failures in the US like this. Also they said Eich motor company in St. Cloud MN had a turbo failure like this.

I sure hope VoA is aware of more than 4. Not sure that's possible with all the orders for turbos from dealers.

Just keeping you guys posted, been without my car for 13 days now :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Maybe they mean 4 with snapped shafts, maybe they have old info. It seems that some people are having shaft failures and others are having bearing failures.

HammerTDI

TDI
Just got a call from my dealer. National back order no ETA. Guess I'm gonna make friends with my local Speedway station for my every 3 day fill ups in my gas loaner Passat.

TI_Master

Could you possibly get a little more info from your dad and answer all the questions in the original post? Thanks
I will get what I can, the dealer still has it, so some details (build date, etc) may not be accessible til he gets it back, but I will fill in everything I can. How do you find out the build date? I will get this once the car is back.

UPDATE: Dealer called today (Saturday 2/9) saying they'd completed repairs and he can pick it up on Monday. He was short on details, but we will try and find out what was actually done to repair it and what failed.

Here is what I have so far, this was my dad's car, but I have owned a number of TDI's over the years (pretty much til my last splurge, a diesel BMW X5), so I'm very familiar with the ones pre-NMS.
  • Miles on car at failure: 4200
  • Build date: (will provide once we get the car back)
  • Corrective actions from dealership: None yet, vehicle was diagnosed with turbo failure, they apparently did a consult or visit by an expert, and as of now we are waiting for a part or new turbo, my dad is not sure which, the dealer hasn't been big on specifics yet, other than that there is a "new part number" for whatever it is they have on order, my dad thinks it was the actual turbo, but we cant be certain. Dealer provided a loaner car immediately thankfully.
  • Outside air temps at failure: 50's.
  • Failure warning signs, if any: none prior to the fail, just sudden engine loss of power, basically the engine shut off and the lights that come on in that situation (i.e. battery light, CEL, etc) came on, but nothing useful. I was following my dad in my car, so I was on site to see what it was doing, which was nothing... totally dead, you could crank the engine but it wouldn't even try to start, acted like there was no fuel.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: (see above)
  • Problems since replacement: still in shop, awaiting a "new part number" replacement turbo per the dealer.
  • Repair time: at 3 weeks so far, waiting on a new part or turbo. The dealer did say that his system updated this week and shows it should be arriving any day now.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: none, my dad was subtlely treated like he caused it somehow at first (probably due to the fact that he had a 2012 Passat TDI previously that was bought back by VW due to turbo issues (not the same issue as this one, that one would randomly go limp mode as I recall)), then their tune suddenly changed, probably after they consulted VW and realized it was a more widespread issue.
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes, but not much was due, my dad didn't think any had actually come due yet for the new one.
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
  • Are you the original owner of the car: yes (my dad is)
  • Did you baby your car or not: no, my dad drives a lot of highway miles at turnpike speeds and probably a bit above, definitely tends to drive in a spirited fashion.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: not that we know of, my dad simply drove it, I assume doing that involves it being intentional.
  • How long is your daily commute: 30-45 miles each way a few days per week
  • Transmission: automatic

Last edited:

paulk124

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
  • Miles on car at failure: 5500
  • Build date: Not sure, bought 9/12. It was delivered straight from factory so probably 8/12.
  • Corrective actions from dealership: They report that it's a blown turbo but haven't take it apart yet to know exact problem. Turbo is on order.
  • Outside air temps at failure: 20-30 F
  • Failure warning signs, if any: A couple of days prior to failure, wife said she could hear a high-pitch whine. She said it sounded like rubbing your finger on the rim of a wet glass. I couldn't hear the noise but my hearing is not as good as her's. When it actually failed, there simply wasn't any turbo boost. There was no smoke or any abnormal noises.
  • Warning lights on dash/MFI: Glow plug light flashed. Then solid engine warning light.
  • Problems since replacement: NA
  • Repair time: Dealer claimed the turbo should arrive on Monday but I have my doubts.
  • Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Dealer says mine is the first NMS turbo failure. I asked if interrupting regeneration could cause premature wear. They claimed that interrupting a regeneration would not cause undue wear. Their TDI service manager expert claimed that engine coolant continues to circulate after shutting the engine off (is the coolant pump actually electric?). He wasn't sure if oil continues to circulate but I doubt it (can't imagine the oil pump being electric). I asked that if I did interrupt a regeneration, if immediately starting the car back up for a minute or so to cool off the turbo would help. They claimed not. (Southtowne Volkswagen, Sandy, UT)
  • Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: No scheduled service yet.
  • If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: No oil changes yet.
  • Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
  • Did you baby your car or not: Wife is the main driver. She neither babies it nor pushes it.
  • Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Occasionally. About five times total.
  • How long is your daily commute: 15 miles round trip.
  • Transmission: 6M
I thought the blown turbos were a rare enough occurance that it wouldn't hit me. Guess I got unlucky on this one. Despite the dealer saying that interrupting regenerations wouldn't cause premature turbo wear, me and my wife have decided we're going to be a little more careful about interrupting regenerations. If we absolutely must interrupt the regeneration, we will shut the motor off then immediately start it and let it idle for a minute or so to let the turbo cool off. Does this sound reasonable?

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
While on this subject does the turbo fall into the drivetrain warranty? I forget what it was 5yrs 60k miles? Does that sound right.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
paulk124 said:
Their TDI service manager expert claimed that engine coolant continues to circulate after shutting the engine off (is the coolant pump actually electric?).
For starters, the engine doesn't have an electric coolant pump. But more importantly, the turbo isn't water-cooled, so it wouldn't matter even if it did have an electric pump.

Mr. TDI Service Manager Expert needs to go back to TDI school and do some more studying.

Mikerad56

TDI
2013 VW Passat SE
To keep psd1's data collection up to date, my vehicle was built 9/2012. The dealer didn't find anything out of the ordinary that would lead to a turbo failure. Got my Passat back yesterday and does it feel ever so good to be shifting gears with my TDI again.

Overall my car was at the dealer for 18 days.

The only common denominator I'm seeing so far is cold temperatures. Maybe during extreme cold temps we should let our TDI's warm up for a few minutes ensuring good oil flow to the turbo.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
While on this subject does the turbo fall into the drivetrain warranty? I forget what it was 5yrs 60k miles? Does that sound right.
That's a real good question, guess I better go get my manual. :D

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Powertrain Limited Warranty

Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts, cylinder head and all internal parts, valve train, spur belt, flywheel, oil pump, water pump. manifolds, all related seals and gaskets.

No turbo. :(

HammerTDI

TDI
I emailed VWoA yesterday and referenced all of the failures in cold climates and specifically in OH. I asked them to clarify the warranty coverage for the Turbo. I referenced this page.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I emailed VWoA yesterday and referenced all of the failures in cold climates and specifically in OH. I asked them to clarify the warranty coverage for the Turbo. I referenced this page.
The way it was described to me was any parts that touch oil.....wouldn't that include the turbo?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The way it was described to me was any parts that touch oil.....wouldn't that include the turbo?
What I posted earlier was straight from the manual. It doesn't state turbo specifically so I would guess that it isn't covered. :(

HammerTDI

TDI
Yes, from what I understand the Turbo shaft rotates on a film of engine oil instead of bearings. I have seen somethings on the internet that indicates that contaminated oil could cause premature failure. Since this is a lubricated part, I would consider it to be a power train item but I don't know how VW will view it. I will keep everyone updated on their response.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The copper (brass?) "bearing" is lubricated by a film of oil. It is not ball bearings, but it is still a bearing.

Last edited:

HammerTDI

TDI
Received an email back from VWoA this morning. They assigned a regional case manager to my case. They also confirmed that the Turbocharger is a power train component and covered under the 5/60 warranty.

The RCM is supposed to follow up with me tomorrow.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Received an email back from VWoA this morning. They assigned a regional case manager to my case. They also confirmed that the Turbocharger is a power train component and covered under the 5/60 warranty.
The RCM is supposed to follow up with me tomorrow.
Thanks for confirming that the turbocharger is part of the 5/60K warranty. If you got this in writing from VWoA, please post a copy of it in case anyone runs into issues in the future.

HammerTDI

TDI
Volkswagen Customer CARE Reference XXXXXXXXX

VWoA Customer CARE <VWCustomerCARE@vw.com>
12:36 PM (7 hours ago)

to me
Reference #XXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. Hammer,

I’m sorry to learn of the turbocharger repair needed to your Passat, especially so early in your ownership.

I checked our system for any open recall campaigns relating to the turbocharger and found none applicable to your Passat. Should a future campaign be issued for your car, you will be notified by correspondence.

The turbocharger in your Passat is covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the in-service date of September 27, 2012, for manufacturer shortcomings.

Because your situation is important to us, I have escalated your case to a Regional Case Manager (RCM) for handling.

The RCM will contact the Service Manager to find out more about the ordered part and to make them aware of your satisfaction with the service they have provided. The RCM will follow up with you on February 12th with updates.

We appreciate your patience as we look into this further. If you have any questions in the meantime, or if you would prefer follow up by email, please feel free to email back.

You can also check on the progress of your case by chatting with us on www.vw.com. Please use the reference number XXXXXXXX to make it easier to locate your case.

Sincerely,

Courtney F.
Customer CARE Advocate

HammerTDI

TDI
That is the email i got back from VW today. I changed the reference number and my name.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Except they have been known to be wrong and/or give contradicting info from one Customer Care Advocate to the next. Not that they aren't correct this time, but I wouldn't rely on just this to save you. The official warranty document is the last word.

TI_Master

My dad got his car back yesterday, how can I locate the build date of the car? I want to check that when I go over there today or tomorrow. Also, I will get the paperwork from him for what they did and report back if I can decipher any of what they actually put on there.