Touran 2004MY 1.9 tdi Radiator fan on all the time

Simford

TDI
1.9 Tdi
Hi Guys,
I hope some one can help me.
The fan remains on even though the engine is off- took to a local Garage and they told me that the fan control module is faulty but it is integrated within the fans (two) assy. I did not agree to his proposed fix of £360. I've taken the fan assy and could not find any module. Could this be within the fan motors? A friend suggested that it could be as simple as a fan switch replacement and another said it could be the main PCM faulty (sending wrong signal). I am confused. Any one experienced this? what is the best course of diagnostics to keep the cost minimum? cheers

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
It does sound like a faulty fan control module. If the fans on the Touran are anything like the MKV Jetta and Golf (which I am sure they are) then they are just fans. The FCM is probably located somewhere under the battery, but you really need a decent manual or someone who has taken one apart before. If you can find someone who has a vcds cable it would be worth having it scanned as well to help identify the fault. I would suggest posting your question on here http://uk-mkivs.net/ as there are likely to be more Touran owners, the drawback though is that some of the posters unlike on this site are utter knobheads.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
This is a very difficult question to answer without seeing the control scheme.

On some of the older ones here, a blown fuse could cause what you are seeing.

On the newer ones, the controller is indeed built into the larger fan. Does your larger fan motor case look signifigantly different than the small one - not just a larger version?

Does only one fan run or two? They should both do the same thing at the same time.

I would unplug the high pressure sensor for the AC system (electrically) and see if that made any difference in the run on.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I believe the fans (and probably all stuff related to them) in Touran are the same as Jettas have.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Is the Touran a PD or ALH? Y'all usually get newer stuff before we do, and we could NOT get Climatronic (or climatic) on Jettas here until 2005.5.

I figured it was the same as the Jetta's here, but the same as which Jettas?

2000-2005 ALH and BEW PD (Manual AC sytems only, simple electric fans with resistors for speeds, Fan control module hanging under the battery which also controlled the compressor clutch), or

2005.5 and later BRMs (which had climatronic and climatic systems, electric RCV controls on the compressor, no electric clutch on the compressor, Pulse width fan controller built into the large fan motor?)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thanks, then the fan control module is built into the back of the large fan motor.
The most likely cause for the fans to run on is a failure of the high pressure sensor, not the FCM.
Both fans should always run together.
The Pulse Width Modulated Fan Control Module built into the back of the large fan motor provides power to both fans.
It is possible for the radiator temperature switch to cause the fans to run on as well, just not as common.

Simford

TDI
1.9 Tdi
thanks to all Guys for your replies.
I've read somewhere that the resistors in bigger fan can be changed. Is this the case? are there technicians that can do this? Also, where can I buy the bigger fan on its own? I am assuming the smaller one is ok as it does not smell when running (the bigger one give some nasty 'plastic burning' smell). If I were to buy a second hand part from a scrapyard, how do I test it to confirm that it works when required?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You can replace the resistors with external ones. There is a thread on the UK Mk IV forum on how to do this.

Over here I see more burned out brush holders (they are plastic), than bad resistors.

We can buy the fans separately over here, so I suspect you can too.

I would not get a junkyard fan, unless it was essentially free, and you do not mind the labor to install it.

You can test the fan by putting power to the fan wires directly. The brown and black large wire is earth, the other large wire is fast speed, the remaining wire (smaller) is slow speed.

This thread has details in post #1 (linked documents) that may help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699

Simford

TDI
1.9 Tdi
You can replace the resistors with external ones. There is a thread on the UK Mk IV forum on how to do this.

Over here I see more burned out brush holders (they are plastic), than bad resistors.

We can buy the fans separately over here, so I suspect you can too.

I would not get a junkyard fan, unless it was essentially free, and you do not mind the labor to install it.

You can test the fan by putting power to the fan wires directly. The brown and black large wire is earth, the other large wire is fast speed, the remaining wire (smaller) is slow speed.

This thread has details in post #1 (linked documents) that may help.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699
thanks for the reply- helping spirit much appreciated. :) I'll check the link you've attached. thanks