Winter and Fuel Gelling

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I did some searching and didn't really find anything specific to the new Passats. I'm sure it's all fairly similar but I'm pretty nervous about the gelling and I don't want to be left stranded.

Some questions...

At what temperature does the Gelling start to Occur? I know this is dependent on the blend as we are transitioning to winter so that brings me to another question, Is there a way to tell if a station is pumping the winter Blend?

Once on the Winter blend what temp is the raw fuel safe from gelling?

I am planning on taking my car up to the mountains for skiing fairly often where temps can be sub zero at times but generally near zero to 15 degrees at the coldest. Will I need to be sure to treat my fuel in this sitaution?

When using the fuel addititve is the VW brand (or stuff parts sells) the best? Is it harmful at all to our fuel system if used often?

how much Fuel additive needs to be used? Not sure how it's sold or sizes :shrug:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
The VW stuff (Stanadyne) is fine, but I'm not sure it prevents gelling. The easiest stuff to get that prevents gelling is the DK Power Service in the white bottle. You can get just about anywhere. The instructions on how much to use are on the bottle. No, it won't hurt your fuel system. It will actually help it. There are a million threads on additives. Do a search and you will find tons of reading.

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
+1 to the DK stuff. They have a few different formulations of it depending on your needs. it is usually readily available at walmart, auto parts stores or any gas station. They also have a summer formulation if i remember correctly. Sorry, im rusty, havent bought any since my last TDI met a bitter end.

This page below has some interesting info that i wasnt aware of pertaining to the new ULSD. My last TDI was back in the HSD/LSD days. (hmmm please dont take that the wrong way!)
http://www.enertechlabs.com/ULSD_Cold_Weather_Information_09032007.htm

Im going to do some more research myself. Fortunately i am in memphis and our lowest temps are ususally mid 20s MAYBE in the teens a few times. Plus my car is garaged so it shouldnt be an issue although i will certainly put in some kind of anti gelling additive to be sure. nothing worse than a stranded wife calling me!

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
Ive also read that the wind chill doesnt affect gelling at all, it is just the actual temp.

rmd0311, idk if it is a big issue or not. Ive always put an additive in and never had an issue so i really dont know but just like water freezes at 32, diesel does gel at a certain temp too. Maybe your stations put plenty of anti gel additive in since you are so far north?

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Ive also read that the wind chill doesnt affect gelling at all, it is just the actual temp.

rmd0311, idk if it is a big issue or not. Ive always put an additive in and never had an issue so i really dont know but just like water freezes at 32, diesel does gel at a certain temp too. Maybe your stations put plenty of anti gel additive in since you are so far north?
so you put additive in each and every tank of diesel? how much is this stuff?

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
i used to when i had my jetta from 03-04 but just got the passat a few months ago. It wont get cold here in memphis till december or so. Ill probably put some in on my first fillup around that time since the tanks last so long!

i dont remember the cost, probably $5-8 for a 16oz bottle.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
I live in Butler Pa,(very windy here where I live) have a Ford Power Stroke and VW TDI. I can say I have never wasted money on these additives. I have never had any gelling problems in 14 years.

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
You'll notice when the winter blends show up because your mileage will drop a couple MPG.

As for problems with gelling, you're going to be ok. I'm at 250K on my 02 Jetta. I have added Power Service(and still do occasionally) when I know it's going below zero and/or I want to dry out the fuel system.

My trick for adding is to mark a Dawn dish soap bottle(the clear one, not the cloudy one) every 6oz. It's my rough guide on how much to add per tank. I've had the same 3 bottles in my trunk for 10plus years and never had a issue with the plastic breaking down.

I'll be checking to see how this flapper thingy works on my 2013(picking it up tomorrow night). If it doesn't work, I'll figure something out....

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I did some searching and didn't really find anything specific to the new Passats. I'm sure it's all fairly similar but I'm pretty nervous about the gelling and I don't want to be left stranded.

Some questions...

At what temperature does the Gelling start to Occur? I know this is dependent on the blend as we are transitioning to winter so that brings me to another question, Is there a way to tell if a station is pumping the winter Blend?

Once on the Winter blend what temp is the raw fuel safe from gelling?
According to Wikipedia the fuel will be gelled around 5 degrees, with the first indications starting above that. I don't know of a good way to tell if a station is pumping winter blend unless it is posted or you ask, but as whitecloud1 said there is usually a mileage drop of a couple MPG.

Personally I used to run Stanadyne all the time, but have stopped being sol religious the last couple of years. I still use it in my truck because it sits a lot but I haven't run it in either of my Passats for the last couple years. I have never had a problem with gelling.

I am planning on taking my car up to the mountains for skiing fairly often where temps can be sub zero at times but generally near zero to 15 degrees at the coldest. Will I need to be sure to treat my fuel in this sitaution?
Personally I wouldn't worry about doing anything special. I suspect that the fuel treated near where you live will work just fine in the mountains. If your really worried then don't fill before leaving and top off in the mountains. But I suspect there won't be much difference in the winter blend between the two.

When using the fuel addititve is the VW brand (or stuff parts sells) the best? Is it harmful at all to our fuel system if used often?

how much Fuel additive needs to be used? Not sure how it's sold or sizes :shrug:
I personally use the Stanadyne Performance Formula. You can get this in several sizes I used to get it by the case in pints. The pint's had markings on the side for how much to use to treat 15 gal. So I would add that much every fill up.

How much is used is up to which additive you purchase. I would follow the directions and use the recommended amount.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver

True:

Ive always put an additive in and never had an issue so i really dont know but just like water freezes at 32, diesel does gel at a certain temp too. Maybe your stations put plenty of anti gel additive in since you are so far north?
I can remember only one time when a friend of mine ran into a problem. The only reason he had that problem is he had a second fuel tank. He drove all the way from Florida back to Ohio where the his Florida blended fuel was not quite enough for the Ohio temperatures. Ohio blended fuel would not have been a problem.

I have driven from Ohio to north of the border and never had a problem I can remember a cold morning (20F below) in Canada, where I still had my Ohio fuel as I had not filled up yet. I was able to pay my bill and the Motel and hop in my car and drive away with out a problem. Drove rather slow for a while Lots of other cars were trying to start, but none were making any progress.

Frankly it is not really a problem unless you have fuel in your tank that was bought in summer or very early fall or if there was a sudden significant. drop in temperature.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
0 - +15 degrees Fahrenheit? You'll be fine as long as you are running a winter blended fuel. I've had my diesels start in Michigan at -20F with no additives - even the 1991 Mk2, although it took a little persuasion.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I was a bit confused trying to figure out how the OP could have done so much searching and didn't find anything, then I noticed this:

I did some searching and didn't really find anything specific to the new Passats.
The only issue with the new Passats, is as someone mentioned about getting anything in past the anti-gas flappy thing. Otherwise, all of the threads about fuel gelling and what additive to use and damage to the fuel system is all covered in the past threads and is the same for your Passat. Fuel is fuel after all regardless of what it's in.

As a side note, I believe that this is the first misunderstanding of windchill this fall. yeay

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Generic windchill and fuel gelling threads will be moved to either Fuels & Lubricants or TDI 101. There really is nothing specific to the Passat in this regard.

This thread will remain, but the future 50 threads that I anticipate seeing will be moved (and possibly merged/combined).

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Lemme end this thread by saying this:

1. Temps >35*... use this: DIESEL KLEEN®

2. Temps <35*... use this: DIESEL FUEL SUPPLEMENT®

Any questions?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Or just don't worry about it. As long as the oil you are using meets VW, recommendations, It should be fine in 98% of the cars.

That said the specific products listed above are known good.

In some cases it is better to use no additive rather than use some products.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Since when does motor oil prevent fuel gelling in cold weather?? :confused: