Who got the payment from BOSCH?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I think all of these payments are to induce owners to either sell back, or modify. That is the motivation of the environmental agency parties. If you do neither, you are entitled to nothing. Therefore until your car is actually sold back, or at least partially fixed, its premature to expect anything.

Merely signing up is not enough. You could back out after being paid.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I think all of these payments are to induce owners to either sell back, or modify. That is the motivation of the environmental agency parties.
...except that the Bosch settlement is purely a class action; no government agency is a party. And you can always claim directly with Bosch and get paid without ever filing a claim with VW, much less actually taking your car in (for either the buyback or the fix).

vdubmom2b

TDI
2013 Jetta Wagon
...except that the Bosch settlement is purely a class action; no government agency is a party. And you can always claim directly with Bosch and get paid without ever filing a claim with VW, much less actually taking your car in (for either the buyback or the fix).
You are 100% correct.

vdubmom2b

TDI
2013 Jetta Wagon
legal eagle I am not

DanB36 Since you seem to know...direct us to the settlement please

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
...and the real issue here is what's meant, in the context of the Bosch settlement, by an "approved claim". @vdubmom2b clearly believes that an approved claim is one where VW has given an offer letter; at that point they've approved the claim. That is a logical and common-sense reading of the settlement. However, it doesn't account for things like getting the offer, but disposing of the car before actually receiving any of the settlement benefits.

So, does "approved" mean that VW approved the claim, or that they approved payment on the claim? Anecdotal evidence suggests it's being interpreted as the latter. I don't see that this question is clearly answered by the FAQ, or by the settlement agreement itself.

vdubmom2b

TDI
2013 Jetta Wagon
I never said nor implied that VW gave us an offer letter...we submitted paper work 4 the fix and when the BOSCH settlement was reached it was BOSCH that contacted us to tell us we qualify for a payment per VW. At that point in time we were and still are awaiting the EPA to approve a submitted fix. Since the EPA is now down to a skeletal employee list; we see no approval coming any time soon. So basically we believe we will get nothing. We are moving on.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I never said nor implied that we VW gave us an offer letter.
If you don't have an offer letter from VW, you don't have an approved claim in any sense of the phrase.

it was BOSCH that contacted us to tell us we qualify for a payment per VW.
Bosch sent out notifications (by postcard as well as, at least in some cases, the long form notice) to a bunch of people, but receiving a postcard doesn't mean that you have an "approved" claim.

Since the EPA is now down to a skeletal employee list;
Seriously?

So basically we believe we will get nothing. We are moving on.
Your options to receive something from VW are either (1) have the fix done, if and when one is approved, or (2) sell the car back to them. If you do either of those, you will automatically receive money from Bosch. If you do neither, you can still file a claim with Bosch for your $350.

nobodyhome17

TDI
2010 A3 2014 Q5
If you don't have an offer letter from VW, you don't have an approved claim in any sense of the phrase.

Your options to receive something from VW are either (1) have the fix done, if and when one is approved, or (2) sell the car back to them. If you do either of those, you will automatically receive money from Bosch. If you do neither, you can still file a claim with Bosch for your $350.
Dan, What is your perspective on the 3.0 BOSCH payments?

Will different generation 3.0s be treated differently?
Will BOSCH relying on VW to validate ownership of the 3.0 of the 2nd generation? I.e. if a 2nd generation requests partial restitution payment, and after going to dealership to show proof of ownership (i.e. loookie, I have the vehicle and you can scan or take a pic of my VIN) will then BOSCH send the 3.0 settlement?
Or is BOSCH waiting on VW to notify them of full completion of the process before processing payments?

Curious 3.0 owner here.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I.e. if a 2nd generation requests partial restitution payment, and after going to dealership to show proof of ownership (i.e. loookie, I have the vehicle and you can scan or take a pic of my VIN) will then BOSCH send the 3.0 settlement?
That's my understanding, mostly based on what the buyback rep said when I took in my Q5 a couple of weeks ago. But, again, I think there's some ambiguity in "approved" in this context.

nobodyhome17

TDI
2010 A3 2014 Q5
That's my understanding, mostly based on what the buyback rep said when I took in my Q5 a couple of weeks ago. But, again, I think there's some ambiguity in "approved" in this context.[/QUOTE

I will not be surprised if BOSCH does not hold payments until a second generation is fixed completely. There is to much opportunity for a title to change hand several times and all owners attempt to attmpt to claim the 1500 payment.

In fact, the partial payment dealership visit is open to risk since it really only shows possession of the vehicle not ownership. Someone could have sold the vehicle, and "borrowed" it back for the visit.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Still nothing here. I'm actually in a really tight spot money wise and could use it to help out - which of course means it will take eons.

I wish someone that owned a prior lease would chime in - still no clue if i'm getting $350 or $170. Obviously hoping it is $350.

Maybe next month....

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I just thought of another reason that Bosch would wait until we get something from VW before sending their own payment: until we receive a payment from VW, the release we've signed isn't binding. That release protects Bosch as well; there's no separate release to sign for Bosch.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I just thought of another reason that Bosch would wait until we get something from VW before sending their own payment: until we receive a payment from VW, the release we've signed isn't binding. That release protects Bosch as well; there's no separate release to sign for Bosch.
I second that. You have to first execute either a buyback or a fix before you get a Bosch check. If you decide to opt out of the VW settlement, you don't get Bosch check (P.S. I'm not a lawyer ....).

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I just want my second $350 to be done with this mess. Both cars were turned in back in March, one check made it to me, but I'm still waiting on the second one.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I'm not a lessee - I bought my car in 12/2015, and it was apparently a prior leased vehicle turn in 11/2015.

SO, I could get it all, or I could be splitting it with the prior owner from the way it reads. I just have no way of knowing which it is. I haven't seen anyone indicate they got the split payment - just the $350 or the $200.

The Bosch Settlement funds will be allocated to Class members as follows:

An Eligible Owner of an Eligible Vehicle in the VW 2.0-liter Settlement will receive $350 in the Bosch Settlement, except that if an Eligible Seller has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, or if an Eligible Lessee has identified himself or herself and filed an approved claim for the Eligible Vehicle, the Eligible Owner will receive $175.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
On a Gen3 would both phase one AND phase two both have to be completed before payment is made?
I've only had phase one done but did not receive a Bosch check. Thinking it may be after phase two is complete.
Thoughts...

vivithemage

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 4dr 6M
I just got a check for $175, which I assume was for my 2010 TDI GOLF I had sold back. The check was postmarked 7/28/2017.

I thought it would have been direct deposit, since that was how the buyback was done? Shrug!

I also had a TDI I sold before the settlement stuff, and got a few grand for during the buyback, is there no monies for that, or is that going to the current owner only? Just curious.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I just got a check for $175, which I assume was for my 2010 TDI GOLF I had sold back. The check was postmarked 7/28/2017.

I thought it would have been direct deposit, since that was how the buyback was done? Shrug!

I also had a TDI I sold before the settlement stuff, and got a few grand for during the buyback, is there no monies for that, or is that going to the current owner only? Just curious.
So it was a prior lease that you bought used?

The $175 means you split the money with someone - so that could be the other car.

ETA: It also means I could be getting a check soon - and I'm wondering if all the 2nd batch of checks will be the smaller amount..... Hmmm.....

vivithemage

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 4dr 6M
So it was a prior lease that you bought used?

The $175 means you split the money with someone - so that could be the other car.

ETA: It also means I could be getting a check soon - and I'm wondering if all the 2nd batch of checks will be the smaller amount..... Hmmm.....
Cool, so maybe a second is coming. I had two as part of the buy backs, one was for a full buyback where I gave the car back, the second was a partial/shared buyback where I got a few grand for submitting some docs that I had owned the TDI.

Neither were leases that I was aware of.

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
On a Gen3 would both phase one AND phase two both have to be completed before payment is made?
I've only had phase one done but did not receive a Bosch check. Thinking it may be after phase two is complete.
Thoughts...
'15 GSW TDI S here - had the Phase 1 Emissions Modification done and got the $350 check from Bosch a couple months ago (posted a picture of it in this thread)

now waiting on Phase 2...

our wagen is running great! took it in for our free (lifetime) oil change at the dealer and got a full tank of DEF free as well...

willie
on the stinkin' hot and humid Gulf of Mexico

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
'15 GSW TDI S here - had the Phase 1 Emissions Modification done and got the $350 check from Bosch a couple months ago (posted a picture of it in this thread)
now waiting on Phase 2...
our wagen is running great! took it in for our free (lifetime) oil change at the dealer and got a full tank of DEF free as well...
willie
on the stinkin' hot and humid Gulf of Mexico
Awesome! Still waiting. Just was not sure if both fixes had to be done.
No issue with it not here yet. Kinda makes going to the mailbox each day a little more exciting. :)

M

McCarthy

Got the run around again and still no payment. Contacted U.S. Department of Justice in order to find out if they have a deadline for payments.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Jeez, I think the DOJ has more important things to worry about than a few impatient tdi owners. Relax people, you'll live longer.